Steven Hollis

Villan4Life

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

There was money. That wasn't the problem this time around. There might not have been much of it, but given our pursuit of Kalinic and a couple of others there was certainly some money available.

The failure this window was not having any backup options to come in if our first choices failed.

Not really clear how much though. (e)6.5m is absolutely **** all to be honest, then there's some loan fees, but hardly enough given our situation.

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

Not really clear how much though. (e)6.5m is absolutely **** all to be honest, then there's some loan fees, but hardly enough given our situation.

Yep i agree. But the post I was responding too said "I can't believe there wasn't some money to at least pay the wages for a couple of loan players, this past window???? "

There clearly was money to at least pay for the wages of some loan players, and some permanent signings. But they never materialised.

To be honest, had we signed that keeper, a defender and a striker, even if the latter two were just loans, I'd have been happy. I think in our situation of almost certain relegation, spending loads would have been pretty foolish.

But signing nobody is unacceptable. We clearly need players, even if it's just to create the sort of team we want to use in the Championship

• Like 3

20 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

PS - good luck fitting 40,000 shirts in two skips...  That's the entire stock of around 5 large, single-storey retail stores.

First thing that occurred to me, utterly ridiculous.

Edited by adw95
Punctuation.
  • Like 1

Just now, Rds1983 said:

I meant more in regards to chasing Adebayor for ages and then panicking on deadline day.

Well possibly. But at least in the summer we did sign a striker (two if you count Ayew as a striker which I don't, particularly)

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Well possibly. But at least in the summer we did sign a striker (two if you count Ayew as a striker which I don't, particularly)

I think we signed a backup striker in Gestede and we missed out on signing a main striker; and we would be in a much better position now if we had a genuine frontman.

I do like Ayew (red card aside) but he is not a traditional striker.

I think the issue of backup options predates Hollis.

Hollis certainly hasn't enamoured himself to the fans has he? He probably doesn't care one jot either. Listening to him a couple of times he no doubt sees fans or customers as he put it, as beneath him. Time will tell if he proves to be better than early observations but not a great start.

5 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Listening to him a couple of times he no doubt sees fans or customers as he put it, as beneath him. 

I'm not sure you listened to him even once if you still think he called fans customers. Not defending him, just pointing out that you are maybe better suited to being on a Manitowoc jury.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

I believe he made a reference to customers at the AVST meeting didn't he?  Stand corrected if he didn't! Never said the word 'still'.

No he didn't.

He made a reference to his previous roles involving dealing with customers. Somebody in attendance got angry that he was calling fans customers and Hollis apologised immediately and clarified he was referring to his previous roles and not the Villa fans.

12 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He instantly apologised and explained he was talking about his experience in previous roles.

But it was an apology based on the fact that one of the ahem fans in the audience had misunderstood what he had said, not because he was unclear, but because you get the impression that the fan has a history of misunderstanding things that have been said. I guess he was angry, and just looking to jump on anything he could. Fox/Hollis were fairly well versed in pacifying the crowd, so you probably had a lot of people who went to the meeting with a deal of frustrations they wanted to air, but once Fox started to talk, seemingly so openly, it disarmed the mob. The fan was just trying to pick up his pitchfork again. 

I'm speculating all of this based on nothing. 

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No he didn't.

He made a reference to his previous roles involving dealing with customers. Somebody in attendance got angry that he was calling fans customers and Hollis apologised immediately and clarified he was referring to his previous roles and not the Villa fans.

Thank you for clarifying and my mistake.  

• Like 1

Â