Steven Hollis

Villan4Life

He does not work in continuous improvement or process mgmt or any of that. He sits on the board of a wealth management firm (Sorbus). His expertise (I assume from working at KPMG) will be tax and investment advisory for high net worth individuals

He was at KPMG for about 20 years I think. KPMG is Tax, Audit and Advisory Services.  Advisory Services is primarily Business Improvement and he would have been highly involved with that as Senior Partner for the Midlands (a senior but not ultra senior position).  He might be the worlds greatest wealth manager or premier Continuous Improver but anyone who has just seen his interview on Midlands Today will know that the guy is absolutely and totally out of his depth

I don't doubt that. Got a link?

I wished I never watched Midlands today

"buying players doesn't buy you success", no it doesn't but it certainly helps.

Okay, maybe we should spend more wisely. Yes we did spend £50million in the summer we bought some decent players (Ayew, Amavi, Gana, Veretout). It's all the free cheap players that are shocking (Sinclair, Richards, Cresbo, Lescott and Bunn).

I have the feeling he doesn't even understand how we have got into this mess.

It was so cringeworthy watching him explain Randys phone call to become Chairman, describing it as a prank from his friends. 

• Like 2

If Mr Hollis can get continuos improvement without investment then he can come work for me and ill double what Lerner pays him! 

Thats if Alan Sugar don't headhunt him first  :crylaugh:

Edited by Kingman

Regardless of who comes in as chairman, we won't progress until Lerner is completely detached from the club. He's still going to be pulling the strings in some form or another. The club is rotten to the core due to one poor decision after another, all of which was under Lerner's control. 

We know money doesn't guarantee success, see QPR, but to find an alternative way to be successful, the club needs a structure from the top down. Something which has not been in place since Lerner bought the club. 

Good of luck to Hollis, but the fact that he thought it was a wind up when approached to become chairman already tells me he will be out of his depth. Hopefully I'm wrong but only time will tell. 

Edited by avfc_in_essex
  • Like 3

I'll be the first to admit I don't really know what his role is supposed to be, only guessing based on his reported background, but I definitely think we should hear less from him now. I don't think I've spoken to or heard from anyone who is impressed with anything that he has said... A generous velvet glove for **** sake.

It's really simple to me; show me the evidence that transfers, but to an even greater extent wages, doesn't equate strongly to league position and I'll try to get behind this whole 'structure' party line that Lerner, Fox and now Hollis are peddling. 

We may be slightly underperforming, we definitely couldn't sustain the MON years but I fail to see how we can be performing THAT badly in structure to be where we are. I doubt any of our new players are on very high wages at all. Any high waged players will have come in free (Richards/ Lescott nominal). We've cut and cut and cut. I'm all for spending within our means but it's clear to everyone in football that we've cut too much, too deep and too quickly. Both in financial terms and in established quality. We've cut wages on experienced Premier League players and bought in potential gambles. 

I fully agree that something is 'fundamentally broken' but it's at board level - the belief that minimal spending in the richest league in the world is possible. Leicester spent £43m net in last two years. We spent £15m. I very much doubt that our wages NOW are higher than theirs. Southampton spent £32m for a couple of seasons running and then made huge profits selling their best players (like we did with Benteke) but, like us, they are beginning to pay for constantly selling and cutting costs. They're actually in year two of not investing sales (like we were after selling Milner/Young/Barry etc) and have slipped to 12th after Champions League talk (which they didn't achieve - sound familiar?) and I guarantee that if they carry on doing a Villa and not investing for three more years they'll be in relegation zone too.

Sorry board, money generally does equal success. Try to make sure it's spent better by all means, have your scouts, look for value, think about whether you can sell them on eventually BUT you need to invest and you need to pay decent wages. There is NO other way. There isn't another team who has succeeded without spending money.

• Like 4

Yeah I think I'm not going to watch that interview...

Though Tom Fox did come across very well in most of his interviews and things have mostly gotten worse while he's been here. Maybe he's just not a PR man and was nervous or something.

I was pretty despairing because I was reading of him here.  Then I read the letter he sent to season ticket holders and feel a bit better.  (not deeply optimistic mind you, just not completely despairing.)  Many of his comments quoted here sound much more reasonable in context.

4 hours ago, Gary Thomas said:

The Premier League business model has and is changing. The skills gap in the 20 clubs first team squads is narrowing every year. Well run so called small Clubs have no fear from so called big Clubs. This trend will continue and the Clubs that will prosper will be those that have hard work and great attitude at the core of their values. A proud heritage has no respect in a very competitive market ¬ whatever the business. Money no longer buys success, our future lies in a passion for excellence and standards that will not accept anything but the best.

For me this season represents only a temporary glitch in the PL business model (or the league table which is what most of us mere football fans would call it).The "skills gap" has not  narrowed every year and I do not share our new chairman's confidence that there is a trend or that it will continue. Money brings cups, championships and places in the CL.

Leicester and Watford are having a season that is beyond even their wildest expectations whilst Chelsea are having one that is way below their worst possible expectations. Normal order will be restored next season if not by the end of this and I doubt that any "so called small clubs" will win anything or qualify for the CL this season or next. I expect the "so called big clubs" will end up winning the trophies and qualifying for the CL as has pretty much been the case for some time now and they will spend enough money to make sure they do. Those clubs who don't spend enough money to at least stand still in the PL will pay for that in time as we seem likely to do this season

By the way I would add that we are one of those "so called big clubs" or were until our custodian stopped spending enough money to keep us in this division. He once referred to this club's "proud history" I wonder does he now agree that "a proud heritage has no respect in a very competitive market"?      

• Like 2

Spending money does not in itself guarantee success. Not spending it however, does guarantee failure. When was the last club with a low net spend , crowned Champions. I do hope we don't just have another bean counter as Chairman. This great club deserves better than that.

• Like 2

Just seen his letter. Everyone should post them back to him with a compliments slip saying "I'm sorry Steve but you haven't got a clue". 

Thinking he can come in and change the culture is all well and good. He might find the commercial staff buy into that but what about footballers who are only bothered about playing a few games a year and getting paid millions. It's a completely different ball-game changing the culture of a football club compared to changing the culture of, say, an accountancy firm. 

This bloke will make zero difference and one again Randy has missed the point. The club is crying out for football not business knowledge.

If we go down and this lot haven't gone we will not be coming back up in a hurry. 

I genuinely can't believe how deluded Randy and his cronies are. I 100% believe that if I or any other Villa fan with half a brain had the money to run this fantastic club, we'd do 10 times the job he's doing.

He's not a businessman or a football club owner, he's just a man who got lucky by having a rich dad.

As for Hollis, I'll look forward to when he's gone. This is the least optimistic I've felt about a Randy appointment since the day he hired McLeish. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VillaCas said:

He was at KPMG for about 20 years I think. KPMG is Tax, Audit and Advisory Services.  Advisory Services is primarily Business Improvement and he would have been highly involved with that as Senior Partner for the Midlands (a senior but not ultra senior position).  He might be the worlds greatest wealth manager or premier Continuous Improver but anyone who has just seen his interview on Midlands Today will know that the guy is absolutely and totally out of his depth

To be fair, you 'absolutely and totally' cannot judge that from one interview on 'Midlands Today'

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

To be fair, you 'absolutely and totally' cannot judge that from one interview on 'Midlands Today'

This is VT - we have players being judged before they've even played a game for us.

• Like 1

Â