Steven Hollis

Villan4Life

2 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Love a good overreaction

I'll quote that back to you many times over in the not too distant future if you like, this guy is just the latest puppet who from his own words is going to look to cut back. This club is bottom of the league for a good reason, cut backs.

Sell Benteke buy Gestede, sell snake buy Gana, etc ok we occasionally seem to get it right/lucky but for the last 5/6 yrs for the most part our squad has gotten weaker, the table doesn't lie.

I don't think anyone is overreacting, just fed up of Lerner and his bs.

4 hours ago, SeanO said:

Whenever I read/hear Continuous Improvement the words always mean "cut backs". I have worked in businesses that use CI for savings, i.e find a cheaper solution.

That's not what continuous improvement means.

I guess it COULD include that. But the principle is much wider ranging than "make it cheaper"

9 hours ago, avfc1982 said:

I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere on this forum but there's rumours of Brian Little and Mervyn King joining Villa's board. What do we think of that then?

Mervyn King? What's he going to do, turn the printing press on?

The man's a bag of shite who apparently couldn't even spot the housing bubble we were in under his BOE tenure.

No thanks.

Edited by Shaw_nuff

Crisis manager brought in to prevent further disastrous loses when we get relegated. I expect the clubs finances will look a lot more healthy with this chap in charge and we will be a more attractive potential purchase. I also expect us to be entrenched mid-table in the championship.

Edited by mikeyjavfc

11 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Crisis manager brought in to prevent further disastrous loses when we get relegated. I expect the clubs finances will look a lot more healthy with this chap in charge and we will be a more attractive potential purchase. I also expect us to be entrenched mid-table in the championship.

Nah, we're gonna make it out of this p21d1r8.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Mine is a bit of an overreaction, something in the statement and the interview just doesn't quite sit right for me. Thinking about it, I guess what I don't like most is that I don't quite understand what his role is. Further up the thread, someone mentions that he's in a non-executive role, but he's describing himself in a very hands on way. In my head, I guess the role of the Chairman in a company is to establish boundaries and encourage ideas - they're not the people that drive a business, they're more a form of governance for the people that do. From what I've seen so far, Mr Hollis is talking about his role in the kind of language that I would have thought would be the preserve of Tom Fox. 

I guess I'm just a bit confused about this shaking up thing, I'm keen to know what it is he wants to shake up, what sort of specifics he's looking to apply new principles to, and what his job is. I'm also not entirely unconvinced that we actually got here through an ongoing series of of shake ups and new principles and that it might do us some good if someone stopped shaking the club and gave it time for a set of principles to settle in.

I quite like Tom Fox, I have a certain faith in what he's trying to do (which I know isn't a popular view), I quite like Remi Garde, I have a certain faith in what he's trying to do (ditto) - I'm not sure what the Chairman's role is in helping them turn the club around, and I don't think that what we've heard so far explains it. 

I'm hoping it's just me that sees things as more muddled than they were the day before yesterday. I'm hoping he's the right man for whatever the job is. I wish him luck.

I Don't think its an over reaction, I Think your pretty much spot on. 

IMO, Commercial deals and making friends in the community don't score goals on a Saturday! 

Ive never seen an advertisement board come to life a do a bicycle kick into the top corner.

Saying that, Ive seen more movement in the advertisement boards than in the board room. 

Edited by Kingman

IF Hollis were to bring Brian Little onto the board, then I would say we are in good hands. I already feel better for what he has said about relegation and randy funding us to come back up. I get the feeling part of his remit will be to communicate better with the fans.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I guess it COULD include that. But the principle is much wider ranging than "make it cheaper"

Agreed Stevo. That's a common misconception of CI based upon Kaizen and something I have to argue against everyday at work. Generally three aspects of a purchase can be controlled; cost, quality and availability/lead time but people usually only see cheaper and assume it means poorer quality. The idea I hope we are aiming for is better quality at same or better price - see our Ligue 1 recruitment last summer or 'bargain' free/cheap transfers of Man City players (the success of this is debatable). I'm hoping Hollis will be looking at the business side to try and do similar but hopefully league player recruitment alone but under the remit of 'buy better'.

His statement today does concern me as reads that we have already given up on relegation and do not fear losing the biggest revenue stream ever known in our business model. His part about Randy being prepared to back to get us back up would sit better with me if he didn't also repeat the money is not success part. It is not guaranteed success but makes it a lot more likely and the lack of it greatly increases chance of failure.

3 hours ago, Shaw_nuff said:

The man's a bag of shite who apparently couldn't even spot the housing bubble we were in under his BOE tenure.

No thanks.

he isnt even a football man ;)

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Ha, then I wish you could pass that on to my employer.

I agree it shouldn't but in my experience that's exactly what it means unless there were a safety issues involved.

Guess we'll find out soon enough. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

Agreed Stevo. That's a common misconception of CI based upon Kaizen and something I have to argue against everyday at work. Generally three aspects of a purchase can be controlled; cost, quality and availability/lead time but people usually only see cheaper and assume it means poorer quality. The idea I hope we are aiming for is better quality at same or better price - see our Ligue 1 recruitment last summer or 'bargain' free/cheap transfers of Man City players (the success of this is debatable). I'm hoping Hollis will be looking at the business side to try and do similar but hopefully league player recruitment alone but under the remit of 'buy better'.

His statement today does concern me as reads that we have already given up on relegation and do not fear losing the biggest revenue stream ever known in our business model. His part about Randy being prepared to back to get us back up would sit better with me if he didn't also repeat the money is not success part. It is not guaranteed success but makes it a lot more likely and the lack of it greatly increases chance of failure.

God if I ever hear the word Kaizen again I think I'll nut the person who says it. (Joke mods)

I agree in principle of CI, Kaizen etc but having worked in industry inc Land Rover in the UK and now in the Steel industry. It starts off with the best intentions but always ends up with the best bang for buck, usually the cheapest. 

I could write a book on the things I have seen but it was boring enough 1st without going over it again.

These people (Hollis) are all the same, they will cut back everywhere until it falls over and then blame everyone else. Thing is in the case of Villa it's already falling over.

Remember that all I'm commenting on are his words, I've heard words like this for year's and while I understand that businesses exist to make money this being applied to a Premiership football club that is already in big trouble will really hit hard.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SeanO said:

God if I ever hear the word Kaizen again I think I'll nut the person who says it. (Joke mods)

I agree in principle of CI, Kaizen etc but having worked in industry inc Land Rover in the UK and now in the Steel industry. It starts off with the best intentions but always ends up with the best bang for buck, usually the cheapest. 

I could write a book on the things I have seen but it was boring enough 1st without going over it again.

These people (Hollis) are all the same, they will cut back everywhere until it falls over and then blame everyone else. Thing is in the case of Villa it's already falling over.

Remember that all I'm commenting on are his words, I've heard words like this for year's and while I understand that businesses exist to make money this being applied to a Premiership football club that is already in big trouble will really hit hard.

We are in similar industries. I buy exotic metals for engineering companies in the oil and gas market and previously the medical sector.

There is good and bad to all systems and processes but let's hope Villa can at least start getting more right than wrong.

4 hours ago, Shaw_nuff said:

No thanks.

I hear Mother Teresa will also be joining the board - selfish cow.

5 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I hear Mother Teresa will also be joining the board - selfish cow.

Mervyn King is a financial terrorist and I choose my words carefully. He was a large cog in the biggest theft of money the world has ever seen and gave it to his bankster mates. Don't be fooled by his cuddly exterior, the man's a word removed. If you're happy to have him on the board be my guest... not me.

Mother Teresa was no saint either.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shaw_nuff said:

Mervyn King is a financial terrorist and I choose my words carefully. He was a large cog in the biggest theft of money the world has ever seen and gave it to his bankster mates. Don't be fooled by his cuddly exterior, the man's a word removed. If you're happy to have him on the board be my guest... not me.

Mother Teresa was no saint either.

Where do you stand on Florence Nightingale?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kingman said:

I Don't think its an over reaction, I Think your pretty much spot on. 

IMO, Commercial deals and making friends in the community don't score goals on a Saturday! 

Ive never seen an advertisement board come to life a do a bicycle kick into the top corner.

Saying that, Ive seen more movement in the advertisement boards than in the board room. 

If we played a lineup of 11 advertising boards this season we might actually have more points too.

Sign 'em up Remi!

Â