Steven Hollis

Villan4Life

On 14 January 2016 at 19:20, blandy said:

Genuine question - what do you think the "culture" is?  - 'cus I kind of agree there's something wrong (clearly) at the core of the club, but  I genuinely can't put my finger on a single item that explains it

Tell me Pete , what do you think the raison d'etre of AVFC should be?  If we were putting together a mission statement (to use corporate language that consultants may love) what would it be ?

On 15 January 2016 at 17:49, Gary Thomas said:

Just received this in my e-mail box.....

A message from our new Chairman

Dear Gary,

It is a privilege for me to take the Chair of Aston Villa albeit we are witnessing one of the most difficult periods in the Club’s history. It is perhaps this challenge to help turnaround our Club’s fortunes that persuaded me that I could, as Chairman, make a contribution that will help lead the Club to better times.

My background is working in and leading large complex people businesses. I started my career in Birmingham over 30 years ago and then worked in London and extensively overseas. My job has been to drive change and bring out the best in talented individuals.

So when Randy first approached me to see if I would be interested in Chairing the Club my initial reaction was that whilst this is very flattering to be considered for this role I am not a football man and I must politely decline. However, Randy was very clear the Club does not need a football man as its Chairman, it needs someone who is proven at driving change in large complex organisations. The rest is history.

I do not underestimate the scale of the challenge that lies ahead and I am also clear that the problems we face now have been in the making for the past five years. I am also clear that the long term solution to the Club’s future rests in building a stable high quality team on and off the field and I look forward to working with Tom Fox and Remi Garde to deliver this.

The Premier League business model has and is changing. The skills gap in the 20 clubs first team squads is narrowing every year. Well run so called small Clubs have no fear from so called big Clubs. This trend will continue and the Clubs that will prosper will be those that have hard work and great attitude at the core of their values. A proud heritage has no respect in a very competitive market ¬ whatever the business. Money no longer buys success, our future lies in a passion for excellence and standards that will not accept anything but the best. A winning culture is addictive and this is one habit I want to see back in this great Club.

For this culture change to be successful you have a key role to play. Frankly given the Club's performance in recent years and months the frustration and emotional outpouring seen over the last few weeks is understandable. You want to see improvement. More than this you rightly demand to see improvement.

As the new Chairman I ask you to please keep supporting the team. You are the 12th man and when confidence is low do not underestimate the critical role you will play. Together we can drive the change we all want to see in our Club’s fortunes. Whatever happens to the Club this season our job is to build a culture that we can all be very proud of and a culture that will deliver sustainable outperformance. I look forward to seeing as many of you as possible at the forthcoming games.

Steve Hollis
Chairman

And in the words of the Bee Gees

" it's only words and words are all I have to WOO your heart away"

Ps best of luck ,Steve .......but actions speak louder than words.

3 hours ago, villan-scott said:

2r6i4bk.png

He looks to be having a good time... Fox not so much!

Just waiting for him to climb through the screen like the scenes from The Ring.

Take it this was from yesterday's game? Good to see them both there at least... at least appearing to show an interest unlike some

Not what I expected. Underwhelming, to say the least, but we have to give him a chance.

Mervyn King would have been a better choice. Whatever your views on him might be, at least people would know him and respect his position in the BOE, and he at least is a Villa fan.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Duck said:

Just waiting for him to climb through the screen like the scenes from The Ring.

Take it this was from yesterday's game? Good to see them both there at least... at least appearing to show an interest unlike some

Fox is always there.

15 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Not what I expected. Underwhelming, to say the least, but we have to give him a chance.

Mervyn King would have been a better choice. Whatever your views on him might be, at least people would know him and respect his position in the BOE, and he at least is a Villa fan.

All this Villa fan thing holds no water with me.

I can think of plenty of so called "villa fans" that have feathered their own nest way before they have put the club first.....who have been on the B6 payroll.

conversely, I can think of employee's who have been born hundreds of miles from the ground and given their heart and soul for our club.

If you go back in history and check out all the great stalwarts who have been instrumental in shaping any kind of success we have managed to muster......very few come from Birmingham or been prior villa fans.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

what in the name of **** is a quasi-government organisation.

Government related or supranational organisation. Although, I have no idea how they could be of interest to us.

Unless he thinks Norwegian Oil Fund or World Bank or Chinese SAFE could buy or sponsor us. Why would they?

Maybe we're in bad enough shape to be admitted to a re-building programme of European Bank for Reconstruction and Development.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

All this Villa fan thing holds no water with me.

I can think of plenty of so called "villa fans" that have feathered their own nest way before they have had put the club first.....who have been on the B6 payroll.

conversely, I can think of employee's who have been born hundreds of miles from the ground and given their heart and soul for our club.

If you go back in history and check out all the great stalwarts who have been instrumental in shaping any kind of success we have managed to muster......very few come from Birmingham

I agree with you completely. It was not meant as a serious comment. Sometimes difficult to get across in prose the nuances you can when speaking.

19 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

If we're targeting quasi-governments, Mervyn King would've been an obvious choice.

• Like 1

On 16 January 2016 at 11:12, VillaCas said:

I'm not quite pre-judging him! That would have been forming an opinion the moment I heard of his appointment.  I am though making a snap judgement based on his public statement and his interview and my snap judgement is that this will prove to be a poor appointment. The statement was "meh" but I would defy anyone who saw the interview to come away with a positive impression of the guy.

I don't know what "give the guy a chance means?" He is going to go ahead with whatever strategy him and Randy have dreamed up regardless of my opinion, so I've very comfortable with my snap decision. It's possible of course that my snap decision is wrong, but if you offered me 1000-1 on being wrong I wouldn't take it. 

Finally, there are many people in the organisation who don't need to be comfortable witrh the media - it doesnt matter if your tea lady, your kit man and your centre forward are crap with the media but you'd like to think that your CEO and your Chairman inspire confidence when they speak

We will need a little more than "hard work and a great attitude"

If we had of had that on the field since august we might not be where we are now. I know what you mean, but don't under value hard work and great attitude.

11 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I agree with you completely. It was not meant as a serious comment. Sometimes difficult to get across in prose the nuances you can when speaking.

I wasn't taking it as literal, I have more respect for your posts than that.

just, sneakily chose a moment to express my opinion on "Villa fans" having any involvement in the club.

its cool having the club at heart....but in my experience that has rarely manifested itself in to the desired result.

in short, it has benefitted them ,rather than the masses.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

what in the name of **** is a quasi-government organisation.

One whose budget is (largely) provided by the government but whose operation is not directed from Whitehall. It includes everything from the Crown Prosecution Service to the Advisory Committee on Historic Wreck Sites. 

If you're genuinely interested, there's a comprehensive list (slightly out of date now) which can be viewed here: http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2009/jul/07/public-finance-regulators

Â