Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

21 minutes ago, Supervillan78 said:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-see-luis-alberto-transfer-11687638

Liverpool see Luis Alberto transfer to Sevilla fall through - but Championship clubs pursue Spaniard

Sevilla were the favourites to re-sign the player they sold to Liverpool for £6.8million three years ago

Liverpool midfielder Luis Alberto is being pursued by a number of Championship clubs after a proposed return to Sevilla fell through.

The Reds want £6million for the Spaniard, who doesn't feature in Jurgen Klopp's plans for this season.

Sevilla were the favourites to re-sign the player they sold to Liverpool for £6.8million three years ago.

However, the Europa League holders were unwilling to meet the asking price and that deal is now off.

Alberto looks likely to remain in England with Wolves and QPR among those clubs keen to secure his services. Aston Villa have also expressed an interest in the 23-year-old.

The £6millon package Liverpool want includes appearance related add-ons.

Alberto, who last played for the Reds in the 4-0 rout of Everton in January 2014, spent last season on loan at Deportivo La Coruna. He scored six goals and provided seven assists in 29 appearances in La Liga.

He returned to Melwood for the start of pre-season but failed to impress and Klopp left him out of the squad for the tour of America.

Thanks

3 hours ago, Supervillan78 said:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-see-luis-alberto-transfer-11687638

Liverpool see Luis Alberto transfer to Sevilla fall through - but Championship clubs pursue Spaniard

Sevilla were the favourites to re-sign the player they sold to Liverpool for £6.8million three years ago

Liverpool midfielder Luis Alberto is being pursued by a number of Championship clubs after a proposed return to Sevilla fell through.

The Reds want £6million for the Spaniard, who doesn't feature in Jurgen Klopp's plans for this season.

Sevilla were the favourites to re-sign the player they sold to Liverpool for £6.8million three years ago.

However, the Europa League holders were unwilling to meet the asking price and that deal is now off.

Alberto looks likely to remain in England with Wolves and QPR among those clubs keen to secure his services. Aston Villa have also expressed an interest in the 23-year-old.

The £6millon package Liverpool want includes appearance related add-ons.

Alberto, who last played for the Reds in the 4-0 rout of Everton in January 2014, spent last season on loan at Deportivo La Coruna. He scored six goals and provided seven assists in 29 appearances in La Liga.

He returned to Melwood for the start of pre-season but failed to impress and Klopp left him out of the squad for the tour of America.

Uh... yes please.

On 30/07/2016 at 11:03, Ginko said:

@1958Villan Fair enough if that's your opinion, and I think it's realistic in the sense that those players you mentioned would fight tooth and nail to play for this great club, I just think some people question some of your choices for one reason or another.

For me personally, I question these players because Tony has claimed we're aiming to buy players not just to get us out of the Championship, but with PL potential too. I'm not sure the players you mentioned have that but I'm no scout so I'll leave that up to our scouting network. If I had to choose though, I'd err on the side that says most of who you suggested do not have that potential, but time will tell I suppose.

I do, however, strongly question the wisdom of playing a fullback in midfield and Bacuna anywhere. He shouldn't even be on the bench for me.

I like your choices for RB but don't agree they're realistic as they could doubtless play for another PL team or elsewhere in a top league in another country. Likewise I don't think it's realistic that we'll ship out four CBs (or even if such wholesale changes are wise) and I don't see Sané or Chester coming here, nor Wilson either but perhaps he might with enough cash thrown at him. I also don't want our CB pairing to be a player who's been here five minutes in Elphick and a young loanee thrust into a very physical league like the Championship.

I doubt we'll move all three of Westwood, Sanchez and Veretout, but Bridcutt and Thorne would be decent shouts.

However, the thought of Hoilett being Bacuna's competition makes me feel ill and whereas Green has looked promising in pre-season, having an inexperienced youth player back up a left back playing left wing is uninspiring and I think we'd be very weak in the wide areas like we are already. These are key positions for me to be filled with a bit of quality. I can't honestly think of specific individuals, but there has to be better options. An actual left winger with some experience of the league must exist.

Hoolahan is a fine shout and might come with the right incentive, Grealish is a no-brainer and has to be involved. Doubt we'll shift three forwards but hopefully two of them and I'd like us to show real ambition by spending big bucks on a quality striker, someone more exciting than those you've suggested. Again, these players exist but I'm no scout.

Ginkgo, I appreciate and agree with what you say about some of those I have mentioned but, my reason for choosing them is purely getting out of the championship, knowing that some will have to be replaced when/if promotion comes along. I'm thinking of someone like Bridcutt when I say that for, while he is excellent in the championship, moving into the premiership seems to be a half-step too far. Although he'd still be better than Westwood.

I chose Hoilet because he can play both wings and centrally. He does have a great delivery from either side. Plus he is free, leaving money in the pot for decent strikers.

I thought of moving both Bennett and Bacuna into midfield because neither one is effective as a fullback. Bennett does have a great delivery from open play and corners and free-kicks, while Bacuna has been played out of position most of his time at the club. On the very rare occasions he has been played in a more forward role, he has been aggressive and definitely not shot shy.

As for the centre backs, Kalas spent a season partnering Ayala at Middlesborough on loan. I know Chester is fed-up with being used as a fullback at WBA and would welcome a move. As for Wilson, Stoke are already spending big and looking at centre backs. He is experienced and like most of the rest, he is a solid dependable player.

I think you are wrong about the fullbacks. Gunter is at Reading and has a £1 million buy-out clause, which no one has activated yet, although I am informed Celtic are thinking seriously about it. Yedlin is at most, a third choice right back at Spurs but is much better than that. As for DeLaet, I believe we have already made an inquiry.

That leaves the forwards. Martin and Hogan have been regular scorers, Hogan was injured for most of the last season, only playing bits of the last eight games, in which he scored seven times. Gregory is in the division below but looks ready to step up. The three of them have some things our present forwards don't, namely movement and versatility. Versatility in that they don't just rely on crosses to score from, they also make runs that ask for balls along the ground.

6 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

I really dont understand people saying,

"We already have xyz for that position, so no more please"

The problem we have with players xyz in positions xyz is, IS THAT THEY ARE ALL F*****g SHIT!!!!

Post of the year

• Like 3

Only no one has said 'no more please' or anything like it, I don't think. Just can't see Di Matteo going for another deep lying midfielder for now, when we already have plenty in that position and have already signed another this pre-season in Tshibola. Yes it would be nice to be able to get someone better, but I doubt it's high on Di Matteo's list of priories, when other parts of the team/squad are in more urgent need of repair.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Only in to other people's piss, and then only on chips. :P

Loving this new speculation/piss thread. 

Taking the piss and giving a shit. Villa talk, everyone!

Abel Hernandez for Gestede, huh?

Can he stand motionless while everyone else plays backward sideways football too?

12 minutes ago, omariqy said:

West Ham apparently in for Gueye. Diame off to Newcastle. Anyone else getting slightly worried as the season opener draws nearer?

Yep, increasingly so.

If you'd have told me in May we'd be starting this season with practically the same squad I would have...I would have said 'naaaaah'.

• Like 1

Diame would be a great signing for Newcastle. Their team is shaping up nicely. Diame + Gayle + Ritchie are solid signings.
Our signings are thoroughly underwhelming although I think Tshibola has the potential to be a good player in the future.

Hopefully we at least see some links in the next couple of days. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Jay.P.A said:

Scenes when we sign Benteke on loan in the last week of the transfer window.

:ph34r:

How often do you see such high profile players move down a division? He's already on big money, we aren't going to pay more than Liverpool to offset the damage to his reputation. I'm sure if he wanted to there are lots of CL teams on the continent he could move to.

4 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Diame must have the best agent in the world. He is an absolute clogger.  A tank, a powerhouse but not a footballer.

I think he's a decent player - would love him here. 

• Like 2

Just dawned on me we now have exactly one month to conclude "all" our transfer business - outs and ins.  By 1st September we will all know, or have a view, whether these "plans" we have have paid off.  Going to get more interesting I think.

Edited by Gary Thomas