Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

22 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

What like Pires?

Sorry I'm being deliberately obtuse there but for a purpose. I just think a players character is more important than what they've achieved, someone like Osman gives everything in every game, someone like Pires.... well we don't need to go there do we. I just think someone who has had an exceptional career at the age of 35 isn't likely to want to join us in the Championship and even if they did I doubt they would give much of a damn.

But just my view...

I think there are a lot of people who believe ability is 100% technical; mentality, desire, resilience, pride, leadership, intelligence are very human but forgotten attributes. 

I agree that Osman and/or Barry would add more than ability to that midfield and set the standards expected to achieve success. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Morrison scoring a wonder goal for Lazio today. Gutted I was getting excited about the prospect of signing him. 

Having spent this summer trying to get rid of players with poisonous attitudes, I don't think adding another one is the best idea. He has talent, but how often does he produce it? 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, useless said:

I think Barry might be good in many ways, but we've got so many players already who play his position that I'd be surprised if it happened.

...and he's better than all of them put together, ergo he'd be a terrific signing.

• Like 3

Barry would be an improvement on what we have no doubt.

But he would not be ideal beside those midfielders we have atm. 

We are very pedestrian in midfield, and Barry is a bit slow.

Now I'd be more than happy to see Sanchez and Westy shipped out if that means Barry can get in.

1 minute ago, useless said:

I'd be happy if we signed Barry but there's part of me that thinks we need to move on now forget the past, I'm just being honest.

You're right... but. The difference between asking for the likes of Barry to return is a world away from wanting Benteke or Milner back.

Unlikely those, Barry is a realistic if very ambitious dream. He's getting on, Everton have money to spend and we might have some historic pull for him - former Captain returns to save the fallen club; he'd cement hs place as a Villa Legend. For a time his exit was seen as a mark on his reputation but history has shown he was very wise, he ignored Liverpool for one more year and joined City.

Getting Barry back would be a hell of a statement from the current owner. I doubt he'd drop down yet, there'd be a lot of interest for him if Everton dud release him but wating him back is just win win for us; captain, Villa, experience, intent.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Xela said:

Having spent this summer trying to get rid of players with poisonous attitudes, I don't think adding another one is the best idea. He has talent, but how often does he produce it? 

He's a risk but for a club like us it would be worth a gamble. I don't think he has a history of a poisonous attitude, he just lets himself down or seems to go off the boil. Could be wrong though. 

8 minutes ago, useless said:

I'd be happy if we signed Barry but there's part of me that thinks we need to move on now forget the past, I'm just being honest.

Move on from what? Signing a quality player who'd immediately improve us?

• Like 1

In his present condition Barry would actually need good players around him to affect games. I wouldn't be surprised if we did sign him, that after a few games people started stating that he doesn't do anything, similar to how they do with Westwood.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, useless said:

In his present condition Barry would actually need good players around him to affect games. I wouldn't be surprised if we did sign him, that after a few games people started stating that he doesn't do anything, similar to how they do with Westwood.

You really should not be comparing those two, however loosely. I am so uncomfortable with that.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, useless said:

Sorry to piss on your chips so to speak, but there is no chance of us getting Barry. In the pre-season games for Everton to date he has got MOM and a score of 8 in the other on Everton websites. He is well respected there and shows no sign of wanting to leave and according to my better half, A Toffee, he is still considered their best midfield player so why would they let him leave?

Edited by Stockport_Villain