Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'd usually agree about pre season friendlies but come on, not much is going to change from what we saw. Relying on those full backs for attacking width isn't suddenly going to click. Gestede isn't going to become a mobile dangerous attacking threat and our defence isn't going to become rock solid.

Our best player is about to come back into the team who just happens to be a full back, and ill be shocked if Gestede is anywhere but the bench against wed.

2 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Our best player is about to come back into the team who just happens to be a full back, and ill be shocked if Gestede is anywhere but the bench against wed.

Well we currently don't have other options. And I love amavi but he's not going to solve the issues we have in creating chances. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'd usually agree about pre season friendlies but come on, not much is going to change from what we saw. Relying on those full backs for attacking width isn't suddenly going to click. Gestede isn't going to become a mobile dangerous attacking threat and our defence isn't going to become rock solid. That friendly showed that all major issues from last season are still there.

Now i'm confident we will sign more and RDM will improve more aspects but I think that game showed a lot. 

They're basically there for fitness - basically. I wouldn't read anything in to them, or certainly not as much as is currently happening.

We may have seen the starting lineup for the first game, I guess? No idea. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

And I love amavi but he's not going to solve the issues we have in creating chances. 

no but he will massivly help in the full back dilema, and will open up attacking avenues down the left....so he kinda will help!

Edited by Nigel

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

They're basically there for fitness - basically. I wouldn't read anything in to them, or certainly not as much as is currently happening.

We may have seen the starting lineup for the first game, I guess? No idea. 

You're 100% right that fitness is the goal. 

I think for me it just showed more because some of the issues last year were just so obvious again. 

32 minutes ago, sne said:

An unnamed Championship club is interested in Malmö FF's RB Anton Tinnerholm 25 y.o.

Capped 6 times for Sweden, available for less than £ 1 m if you believe the Swedish tabloids.

No idea if it's us, but since f all is happening it's at least something...

Edit: Here is the obligatory youtube video

would take him, he decent enough player from what I saw of him in Champions League last season

9 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We've lost a fair few games to lower league teams the past few years. 

Sure, but we've also won a few games to PL teams over the past few years. The point is we're not ready for promotion as the team stands. We all probably agree, including RDM and Dr.X.  We also looked pretty poor in the second half of that preseason game, but we also matched a PL team in the first half.

I'd say we're a team that can beat or lose to any team around us on any given day as things stand. There are some decent teams in the Championship, and some shit ones too, but everyone always talks about the massive gulf in quality between the PL and Championship. We're were one of the worst PL teams the league has seen, but we're up against much weaker opposition this term. I would be surprised if we didn't add at least a couple more players that can make a difference before the end of the window. If we do, I think we'll be alright to give this season a good go.

• Like 2

Aren't we still getting a 'striker with bullets'? I wonder who they're got their eye on. 

Would really like Bamford tbh, he won't solve all our problems by a long way, but we'd be so much more competitive with a player like him.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Sure, but we've also won a few games to PL teams over the past few years. The point is we're not ready for promotion as the team stands. We all probably agree, including RDM and Dr.X.  We also looked pretty poor in the second half of that preseason game, but we also matched a PL team in the first half.

I'd say we're a team that can beat or lose to any team around us on any given day as things stand. There are some decent teams in the Championship, and some shit ones too, but everyone always talks about the massive gulf in quality between the PL and Championship. We're were one of the worst PL teams the league has seen, but we're up against much weaker opposition this term. I would be surprised if we didn't add at least a couple more players that can make a difference before the end of the window. If we do, I think we'll be alright to give this season a good go.

I'm with you on the second paragraph. I think we'll be a top half team and with the right additions could push for promotion. I'm confident we will sign more quality players. 

I just think the boro friendly showed more than just the usual pre season game. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Aren't we still getting a 'striker with bullets'? I wonder who they're got their eye on. 

Would really like Bamford tbh, he won't solve all our problems by a long way, but we'd be so much more competitive with a player like him.

I'm still hopeful we can see Bamford, Kodjia and Morrison coming in.  I just hope Gestede isn't going to start any games.  My heart sank when I saw him in the starting line up in the last friendly, I'd much rather see Ayew playing up top on his own.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hoof hearted said:

The air of inevitability around the ground was tangible as well terry, friendly or not, the majority of them aren't mentally ready for this season, we could sign Messi and Ronaldo and I genuinely feel 3 games in they'd be broken as well. The rot will take years to disappear I'm afraid.

My fear too.

7 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'm still hopeful we can see Bamford, Kodjia and Morrison coming in.  I just hope Gestede isn't going to start any games.  My heart sank when I saw him in the starting line up in the last friendly, I'd much rather see Ayew playing up top on his own.

If we get those three in then I think we can put out a fairly competitive side.