Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

I think this is him, at least according to google:

cawder11.jpg

Looks a sturdy chap, although quite pointy in places.

Looks like he could be useful in the wall on free kicks 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, a m ole said:

There seems to be a real lack of understanding about how player deals come about. You don't nip down to the Player Registration Shop and throw a few in your basket for the price on the sticker. You don't go to footballplayers.com and get next day delivery. It's not even like eBay, because the product you actually need, the seller wants to keep. It is just so simple minded to assume that lack of transfer activity is down to an owner and manager sitting on their hands.

You can draw up a list of targets, contact all the clubs, contact all the agents, but if one or the other or both say no to the offers, you don't get the player. And it is always in the best interests of the club, agent and player to wait that little bit longer for a better offer to come along. So you are forced to wait, and deals hang in the balance. But what happens when another club comes along and can offer something that you can't, Premier League, astronomical wages, London location? You don't sign the player despite doing everything you could. And if that player doesn't come, you'd better hope you haven't sold the guy you were trying to replace him with, otherwise you don't have a squad at all.

There is a reason why there is always a flurry of activity going into the last week of the window. it's business. it takes time.

Accept all that.

......but why has it taken us 6 years to conclude that we have signed worse players than we already have/had

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Accept all that.

......but why has it taken us 6 years to conclude that we have signed worse players than we already have/had

I guess there is a hangover from the previous regime/s. my attitude at the moment is to give the new guys the time and space to work, they have to be able to look at things objectively from within and make their own judgements.

I totally understand a little impatience and I feel it too, but I dont think it helps and as fans we should do whatever we can to help the new guys turn it around, by supporting them from the start and not jumping on them before they've had a chance to act.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I guess there is a hangover from the previous regime/s. my attitude at the moment is to give the new guys the time and space to work, they have to be able to look at things objectively from within and make their own judgements.

I totally understand a little impatience and I feel it too, but I dont think it helps and as fans we should do whatever we can to help the new guys turn it around, by supporting them from the start and not jumping on them before they've had a chance to act.

I think we have made it clear, with our reference to TIME that we are not expecting things too soon.

I have a long memory......and I will be watching with interest.

I am not convinced just yet that we have moved to a zone where we are signing, even targetting,  players markedly better than what we have got.....time will, tell.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

In the following days we could very well be getting new players, a technical director and some departures, so should be a pretty busy week.

Yep. Or we may also get nothing like the previous week.

Technically I think he is, but when someone suggested to Xia that Reilly had done a poor job, Xia responded by saying that they've bought in Andrew Stone from Southampton to do that side of things (or words to that affect). The TD role is apparently something different.

we seem to have a mini-unofficial bomb squad already

Kozak, Steer, Richards, Lescott

Expected to be sold or loaned but are all still here for now: Vertout, Sinclair, Sanchez

Lyden, Toner somewhere in the middle ground along with Gabby and Traore who we don't know if fit would be part of the first team.

Robinson, Gil, Gana, Guzan all gone

I think we will see another 4 players leave in the next few weeks, but there comes a point where we will have to give some of the bomb squad members another chance as having a weakened squad again like we did under Lambert because we somehow decided the likes of Hutton and Given were bad only to welcome them back after years of paying them big money to do nothing, was bullsh*t. I'd rather see Lescott and Richards in particular put back in the squad as there are more games and both players are more than capable of playing at this level. All hypothetical I know. There is no reason the mistakes of the past will be repeated, I just remember the witch hunt after the McCleish debacle.

4 minutes ago, useless said:

We dont' need another deep midfielder like Brtitton. Westwood, Sánchez , Tshibola and Gardner all play in that position as it is, and we haven't even sold Gueye yet.

if the choice of midfielders is Tshibola, Westwood, Sanchez and Gardner then we desperately need something better imo.

• Like 3

We need extra help in midfield, but we more need a midfielder who will offer us something different from the ones we already have. Still haven't properly replaced the energy of Delph and Cleverly. What we need is a good box-to-box player (as well as a creative player like Morrison, in terms of midfield).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, useless said:

We need extra help in midfield, but we more need a midfielder who will offer us something different from the ones we already have. Still haven't properly replaced the energy of Delph and Cleverly. What we need is a good box-to-box player (as well as a creative player like Morrison, in terms of midfield).

Veretout must have been bought for that role. That is where he excelled in France.

• Like 1