Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

32 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I don't know if you went on Saturday but the view of everyone at the game was unanimous - the players who fell apart mentally last season did so immediately Boro scored.

It was very dramatic, very noticeable, and very much a re-run of last year.

It is this mental aspect, rather than their ability as footballers, that is the concern (and the obvious need for a couple of people who score goals).

Out of interest who do you feel fell apart?

I felt Ayew tried to do too much and gave the ball away cheaply, the introduction of Tshibola destabilised a solid DM pairing and Gestede lacks pace and intelligence to play in our system. 

From that game, I agree, we do need another midfielder, some attacking invention and a much more mobile striker. But I don't think we capitulated in the same way as last season.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GeneralJazzman said:

I felt Ayew tried to do too much and gave the ball away cheaply, the introduction of Tshibola destabilised a solid DM pairing and Gestede lacks pace and intelligence to play in our system. 

From that game, I agree, we do need another midfielder, some attacking invention and a much more mobile striker. But I don't think we capitulated in the same way as last season.

Not sure fall apart is the right words, but so many players were out of position or had rushes of blood to the head for all three of their goals. They were awful, we actually looked decent for most of the game then we effectively handed them the win on a diamond encrusted plate. We defeated ourselves, all Middlesborough had to do was turn up and play for 90 mins.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Not sure fall apart is the right words, but so many players were out of position or had rushes of blood to the head for all three of their goals. They were awful, we actually looked decent for most of the game then we effectively handed them the win on a diamond encrusted plate. We defeated ourselves, all Middlesborough had to do was turn up and play for 90 mins.

I watched online and I was going to say players lost shape and tried, foolhardily, to first regain the lead and then level it. I think, as you put it, rushes of blood caused us to make bad choices.

The same happened in the final third a lot, we get near the box, get over excited and make poor decisions. Felt Ayew was the worst for it. But movement ahead of him and think he would have easier passes to make. 

Similar sort result and feeling to last season, but not the same manner. 

29 minutes ago, GeneralJazzman said:

I agree with your comments. Fell apart ? I would say Baker, Westwood, Cissokko, Hutton, were the clearest examples.  Unfortunately I thought Elphicks cool deserted him too. As soon as Boro scored it was (in some ways a sort of collective thing) headless chicken time.  Suddenly players stopped playing football, stopped getting into good positions (especially defensively), stopped using their heads.  We clearly had nobody who had the winning experience or confidence to just keep playing.

Its what concerns me about RDM too, I think (don't know) he is a Manager who keeps the shackles off players and allows them to be themselves.  This worked great with a Team of Winners at Chelsea but we have a Team of losers, if allows them to be themselves they will get anniliated !

I actually thought in the first half we looked ok defensively, Gardner shielded very well, but as Villaneous One says all Boro had to do, like everyone else last year, was play for 90 minutes.

There was an almost palpable sense that Boro themselves knew they only had to get one to go on and win.  If it was the animal kingdom I would say other teams now sense we are crippled, and know they can kill us.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I agree with your comments. Fell apart ? I would say Baker, Westwood, Cissokko, Hutton, were the clearest examples.  Unfortunately I thought Elphicks cool deserted him too. As soon as Boro scored it was (in some ways a sort of collective thing) headless chicken time.  Suddenly players stopped playing football, stopped getting into good positions (especially defensively), stopped using their heads.  We clearly had nobody who had the winning experience or confidence to just keep playing.

Its what concerns me about RDM too, I think (don't know) he is a Manager who keeps the shackles off players and allows them to be themselves.  This worked great with a Team of Winners at Chelsea but we have a Team of losers, if allows them to be themselves they will get anniliated !

I actually thought in the first half we looked ok defensively, Gardner shielded very well, but as Villaneous One says all Boro had to do, like everyone else last year, was play for 90 minutes.

There was an almost palpable sense that Boro themselves knew they only had to get one to go on and win.  If it was the animal kingdom I would say other teams now sense we are crippled, and know they can kill us.

Agree we fell apart, I feel a few people are using it to signal doom and gloom based on similarity to last season - don't agree with that. 

I think that is going to be the undoing of some other clubs this season, expecting to only show up to win. Hutton and Sissokho are replaceable, the DM position is important this term, as Gardner provided cover without being caught out of position too much but Westwood isn't solid enough on his own. Leading Baker and co to cover gaps and be pulled apart. 

I think we could have been 2 up by HT with a more dynamic forward and better delivery. Incidentally I think Bacuna did a much better job against Boro. That's then a different game in the second half.   

14 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It's frustrating, isn't it.

I mean, all we want is a link. I'd even take an HITC article right about now. 

Now steady on! :)

Everytime i open a HITC article on my mobile, the ad takes over the article before i can even read the stupid load of old carefully reworded click-bait twaddle they peddle

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 3

An unnamed Championship club is interested in Malmö FF's RB Anton Tinnerholm 25 y.o.

Capped 6 times for Sweden, available for less than £ 1 m if you believe the Swedish tabloids.

No idea if it's us, but since f all is happening it's at least something...

Edit: Here is the obligatory youtube video

Edited by sne

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I'm not sure there has ever been more fuss over a pre-season friendly game than this result against Middlesbrough. Unreal. 

I think the 38 games played prior to it play a big part, Bobzy.

You know, cos we're really shit and nothing's changed? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I'm not sure there has ever been more fuss over a pre-season friendly game than this result against Middlesbrough. Unreal. 

It's more to do with the fact that the season starts in 6 days... 

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think the 38 games played prior to it play a big part, Bobzy.

You know, cos we're really shit and nothing's changed? 

Yep, apart from the owner, all the directors, the manager, the coaching staff and I'm assuming the captain...absolutely nothing has changed...

9 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I'm not sure there has ever been more fuss over apre-season friendly game than this result gainst Middlesbrgh. Unreal

I'd usually agree about pre season friendlies but come on, not much is going to change from what we saw. Relying on those full backs for attacking width isn't suddenly going to click. Gestede isn't going to become a mobile dangerous attacking threat and our defence isn't going to become rock solid. That friendly showed that all major issues from last season are still there.

Now i'm confident we will sign more and RDM will improve more aspects but I think that game showed a lot.