Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

Newcastle looking strong but their fans seem to be less optimistic about their chances than we are. I'd like us to sign a defender, a right-back, a midfielder, a winger, a playermaker, a striker and possibly a goalkeeper.

• Like 1

Just now, VillaChris said:

Nope end of season.

I think Newcastle will run away with the league in similar fashion to last time they were in it so 90 + points, likes of Burnley, Boro and Brighton were all around that last season.

If we pull our fingers out and get in 3-4 good players we can still make play offs and get 70 + points. May even be good enough for 2nd if that's a low total.

But yeah 20 point difference...by end of final game. 20 quid.

Not going to argue about the point gap but I actually think Newcastle will struggle this year, there are teams like Derby and Sheffield Wednesday (they went on an insane run at the back end of last season) that are far better equipped mentally to win this league, we are just broken at the moment and I don't think any amount of players coming in will change that mentality any time soon.

Just a sad state of affairs all around unfortunately. :'(

I agree with and respect every single post in every single thread on VT 100%

But!

You are all forgetting one thing

with Hutton Richards Lescott Cissohko Westwood Sanchez Bacuna Sinclair Gestede Kozak & Gabby in the squad we are SH*T

Losers who give up once we go behind, Players who dont deliver for the club because theyve lost the will and capacity to do so.

They will all never again in their careers play for a more prestigious club earning so much money.

Leeches sucking a hold onto what theyve got, not willing to make any kind of steps to undo their status quo.

That means no progression only regression from where we are now

Everything was broken

new owner manager and staff has repaired a lot, repair amongst a broken fanbase too.

But

This set of losers +- a few is not enough to go from

3 wins a season to

20+ Wind scoring 5/6x as many goals conceeding 4/5x less goals

Someone at the club has to wake up, see the task at hand and start moving heaven on earth to change things immediately

This club is still on a down

We need to do a 180 sharpish

But then again we can all write out dream senarios here on VT and moan when nothing changes

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

With everyone fit, we have a squad which should be more than able to hold their own in the championship!

................................Gollini..................................

Richards.....Elphick.............Okore...........Amavi

...................Tshibola...........Gardener................

........Traore..............Ayew................Grealish.....

.............................New Striker?..........................

Obviously the players are interchangeable, my point is that our squad, for the championship is not as terrible as intimated on here, and certainly not relegation material like some of the bollox I keep reading!

That would be fine...if we had a new striker. And they were all fit.

Edited by rubberman
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, useless said:

I'm convinced that some of players who've been painted as villains from last season will improve this coming season, and might end up playing very important roles for us.

Exactly, I perfectly understand all the skepticism, but have to reiterate that some of these players we bought were very highly rated and sought after! RDM and the team see them day in, day out and will have watched games, done research on their histories etc. I believe this is a part of why Xia said RDM said we had talented players who have been mismanaged, ad that to the fact that they will now be settled. As Xia, and management have even acknowledged, I feel a new midfielder and striker (Hoping for Kodija) we are set! Bringing back these players confidence, which will have been shot also has a huge part to play!

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

Linked to Luis Alberto in the Liverpool Echo

Alberto looks likely to remain in England with Wolves and QPR among those clubs keen to secure his services. Aston Villa have also expressed an interest in the 23-year-old.

The £6millon package Liverpool want includes appearance related add-ons.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-see-luis-alberto-transfer-11687638

Just posted this in the pre match thread...

Back 5 will be

Gollini,  Hutton,  Elphick, Baker and Cissokho

Middle two will be

Tshibola and Westwood

Next three will be

Bacuna,  Ayew and Grealish

Striker will be

Gestede

Which constitutes 7 remaining players from last season and to be honest if anyone would have said that in May / June then they would have been shot down for being too negative.

With the majority of last years lot still being here and playing we are in trouble it is not about managing them better,  it is about their mindset as some of us said at the back end of last season

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I don't know if you went on Saturday but the view of everyone at the game was unanimous - the players who fell apart mentally last season did so immediately Boro scored.

It was very dramatic, very noticeable, and very much a re-run of last year.

It is this mental aspect, rather than their ability as footballers, that is the concern (and the obvious need for a couple of people who score goals).

The air of inevitability around the ground was tangible as well terry, friendly or not, the majority of them aren't mentally ready for this season, we could sign Messi and Ronaldo and I genuinely feel 3 games in they'd be broken as well. The rot will take years to disappear I'm afraid.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

A difference in opinion does not constitute labelling other fans as having their heads in the sand.

He obviously means it in a positive way Stefan, he's not always negative, he said so himself so it must be true!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

With everyone fit, we have a squad which should be more than able to hold their own in the championship!

................................Gollini..................................

Richards.....Elphick.............Okore...........Amavi

...................Tshibola...........Gardener................

........Traore..............Ayew................Grealish.....

.............................New Striker?..........................

Obviously the players are interchangeable, my point is that our squad, for the championship is not as terrible as intimated on here, and certainly not relegation material like some of the bollox I keep reading!

Sorry Jamaican but, that line-up would get thumped.

Traore, for a start, gets injured if someone looks at him cross-eyed. In this division, I doubt that he would play much, if any, more than 8-10 part games.

Ayew isn't a team player, only playing for himself. He never picks his head up to see where, or when, a pass could be made.

Grealish is full of clever little tricks and touches but, he has very little end product. He is what I would call a luxury player, someone to put on for the final 20 minutes to entertain the crowd when you are 4 or 5 goals up.

Tshibola and Richards have absolutely no mental self-control. They abandon their duties to rush forward at every opportunity, even when the opportunity doesn't really exist.

Okore is only one-tenth of the player he thinks he is. Injury prone because of his wrong choices when defending.

New Striker, If we don't have players capable of creating chances, it really doesn't matter a rat's arse who it is.

1 minute ago, Hoof hearted said:

The air of inevitability around the ground was tangible as well terry, friendly or not, the majority of them aren't mentally ready for this season, we could sign Messi and Ronaldo and I genuinely feel 3 games in they'd be broken as well. The rot will take years to disappear I'm afraid.

I'm not sure.  I though the crowd were supportive enough for an hour, but if you mean the crowds heads sank as soon as Boro scored I agree, and after that hostility grew quite quickly.

Last seasons players will  be given far less leeway by the Crowd than new/fresh players.  It was always obvious that once we are at a game peoples tolerance levels will be far lower than when chatting on an internet site !  I think the team will be slaughtered IF it contains more than a couple from last year and if the same signs are seen. It was noticeable Amavi was given a heroes reception then promptly gave the ball away on the edge of the Box but no-one said a word, when Bacuna and Westwood did the same they were slated. If we cant get players we'd be better off with 2 or 3 of the young prospects in.

And those hoping RDM can restore confidence ? Surely the best chance of seeing that happen would be if it happened by now, on Saturdays evidence there is no difference.

Hopefully something will change, as at present there has to be a concern that a couple of those type of collapses could put us in freefall.  Personally, whilst it wouldn't fix the character issue, I think two decent goalscorers would help more than would usually be the case.  We, and the players, currently have no idea how we would get back into a game if we fail defensively.  Its impossible to see where a goal would come from.  The knowledge that you had someone up front who would convert a chance would help an awful lot.   a truism to some extent I know but I think it is more critical in our case than ever.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Richard said:

Just posted this in the pre match thread...

Back 5 will be

Gollini,  Hutton,  Elphick, Baker and Cissokho

Middle two will be

Tshibola and Westwood

Next three will be

Bacuna,  Ayew and Grealish

Striker will be

Gestede

Which constitutes 7 remaining players from last season and to be honest if anyone would have said that in May / June then they would have been shot down for being too negative.

With the majority of last years lot still being here and playing we are in trouble it is not about managing them better,  it is about their mindset as some of us said at the back end of last season

I would imagine 100 % of fans are praying you have that line up massively wrong Richard !  It would be a relegation struggle.  At present the only person I know who has given any indication they MIGHT play that side is, unfortunately, the Manager ! There are no goals in that side, a mentally broken defence/defensive midfield, and no real strength or energy.  It is also a side which would depend on the forward services of Alan Hutton, which are simply useless.

I would imagine/hope Amavi not Cissokko, Hutton would be bearable (just) if used solely as a Right Back, and a new central defender (sadly I doubt that).

In midfield we desperately at least two more players with character (even an aging Barry for example) with one, ideally having some vision too (Barry again ?). In fact, I am so worried I would even take that player who most of us would rather never played football again for his aggression and attitude, and it grieves me to say it. I can see Gardner supplanting Westwood.

And Gestede should only be 4th, or 5th choice, we are surely about to sign at least one striker, who would play in front of Grealish and Ayew .

So, for me, hopefully you only have 6 correct !!