The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Garde did the most disgraceful thing that only 1 Villa manager(Lambert) has ever done before and that is make me not care about the games and not even want to watch some of them

Fair play I stopped wanting to watch in the middle of Sherwood's appalling run. I don't like Sherwood, but it was still the players attitude that made it difficult to watch for me.

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

but then why did he not try attack our way to safety instead of the numb "football" we tried to pass the season by. He had one dangerous winger who he rarely used when fit even though he was a dangerman in most games the kid came on in

I said it at the time it was the manner we would go down would be how I would judge Garde and this is has been disgraceful, as for lost cause he had 27 games to save us

Could be argued we did attack more than Sherwood had this season, at least up until Feb (and I think the distinction needs to be made with Garde before and after the end of the transfer window)

In Garde's first 12 games (up to WBA away) vs. Sherwood this season, we had:

• better possession (51.4% vs. 50.4%)
  • more shots on target per game (3.8 vs. 2.9) and more shots in total (just, 11.1 vs. 11.0)
  • more play in final 3rd (28% vs. 24.5%)

Main issue was this was not converted to goals, as we scored 0.7 goals per game to Sherwood's 0.9, but the above suggests this isn't down to a lack of attacking intent on Garde's part, at least compared to Sherwood this season (who most would consider a more attack-minded manager, I'm assuming).

Regarding the distinction between Garde before and after the end of the transfer window, I think many in the forum have recognised the major drop off after this point, and the various reasons behind it. Comparing Garde pre vs. post West Ham away on 2nd Feb (I've excluded West Ham game due to early sending off anomaly), the difference is fairly dramatic. We had:

• worse possession (41.6% vs 51.4%)
  • fewer shots on target (2.0 vs, 3.8) and in total (8.7 vs. 11.1)
  • less play in final third (26.7% vs. 28%)
  • conceded more shots on target (6.0 vs. 4.2) and in total (13.7 vs. 11.6)
  • conceded more goals per game (2.6 vs. 1.5) and scored fewer (0.6 vs. 0.7)
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Why?

Sherwood built this squad. Yes we had other people involved in the transfers, but Sherwood is the manager who oversaw the most disastrous transfer window in the history of the club, leaving us with the worst premier league squad we've ever had, and one of the worst premier league squads of all time.

He also sapped any confidence out of the players by starting the season with 1 win in 10 (and 8 losses).

Garde didn't do very well, but the main reason for that (in mine and many others' opinion) is that he took over that awful squad and got no backing to do anything to address it in January. He's had no opportunity to add anything to it and the players have now given up making his job untenable. He's not blameless by a long shot, but I would have thought it's pretty obvious why people stick up for Garde but are harder on Sherwood.

There's also the fact that, in all honesty, Garde is a nice bloke and Sherwood is a complete tosser, which probably makes people slightly more generous with him too.

If sherwood takes so much responsibility for the transfer window, why is the transfer window one of the reasons fans are protesting to Lerner about?

Surely he sacked the main culprit months ago? Surely he saw his mistake very early on and acted.

The last few pages prove that people have an imbalanced view on sherwood n garde because they dislike sherwood.

Both were totally disastrous manages and BOTH had enough opportunity to accumulate 16 points each never mind between them. Especially garde.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Woodytom said:

If sherwood takes so much responsibility for the transfer window, why is the transfer window one of the reasons fans are protesting to Lerner about?

Surely he sacked the main culprit months ago? Surely he saw his mistake very early on and acted.

I don't see how this is relevant to my post. Are you in the wrong thread?

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I don't see how this is relevant to my post. Are you in the wrong thread?

Maybe the two paragraphs in your post about sherwood being the main culprit make it relevant?

Not that the usual immature and ignorant response surprises me ;)

I wonder about the timing of his departure. Was his resigned attitude something that couldn't be allowed to go on by the new board ? Or is there somone available that we just can't afford to miss out on ? [Moyes ?]

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

I wonder about the timing of his departure. Was his resigned attitude something that couldn't be allowed to go on by the new board ?

I would say this.

Deals can be put in place for new managers before a manager goes. It's not ideal but it happens.

For me garde gave up after he didn't get what he wanted in January. He looked as disinterested as I've ever seen anyone associated with aston villa against Swansea. My attitude towards the players is hardly a best kept secret but it's no different when it comes to the overpaid manager too. Unforgiveable.

Edited by Woodytom

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think Sherwood had a chance to make the club what he wanted it to be, but left it completely broken  - what Garde inherited, in terms of confidence and belief was a near impossible task.

Sherwood is a brilliant three month manager, he befriends players, he makes them feel positive and he gets them firing, he's a very good motivator in the short term - but there's nothing behind it and once players realise that he doesn't have a clue how to set them up to win games, how to mould a squad or how to behave tactically in game, their faith in the the other stuff goes - by the time Garde took over, our players had already decided they were relegated. Sherwood relegated the team.

Garde sat here and completed that whilst not being given the opportunity to change it. That's not to say that Garde shouldn't be criticised, and his failings are, strangely (but typically in terms of the way the club operates) the exact opposite of Sherwood's, he didn't get the players fired up, he didn't give us that buzz that might have got performances, he didn't find ways to motivate the unmotivatable - he set the team up properly, he did the right things tactically, but he was working with zombies and he failed completely to bring life back into them.

Sherwood broke the team; Garde failed to fix it - there is a difference between those two things for me, and I attribute a lot more blame to Sherwood for our season than Garde.

The person who really comes out of this with some credit in my eyes is Lambert, who somehow managed to keep a team not too dissimilar to today's in the top league for four years, with occasional excitement, on a shoestring budget - the more I see what's come since, the more respect I have for the job he was doing.

I'm surprised given recent reports that people still feel this way. Reports suggest Garde was lied to and that our scouting network was a shambles and yet people still believe Sherwood was in charge of putting this squad together. Why would they allow Sherwood that control but not Garde? It seems highly unlikely. 

Lambert comes out of this with credit? Benteke, Delph and Cleverly would absolutely be the 3 best players in this current team and he was getting relegated with a team that contained those players. And was happy for the team to be heading down while he got a large pay off, even though he's happy to admit he wanted out months earlier. And he gets credit? Mind blowing stuff. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomsky_11 said:

Could be argued we did attack more than Sherwood had this season, at least up until Feb (and I think the distinction needs to be made with Garde before and after the end of the transfer window)

In Garde's first 12 games (up to WBA away) vs. Sherwood this season, we had:

• better possession (51.4% vs. 50.4%)
  • more shots on target per game (3.8 vs. 2.9) and more shots in total (just, 11.1 vs. 11.0)
  • more play in final 3rd (28% vs. 24.5%)

Main issue was this was not converted to goals, as we scored 0.7 goals per game to Sherwood's 0.9, but the above suggests this isn't down to a lack of attacking intent on Garde's part, at least compared to Sherwood this season (who most would consider a more attack-minded manager, I'm assuming).

Regarding the distinction between Garde before and after the end of the transfer window, I think many in the forum have recognised the major drop off after this point, and the various reasons behind it. Comparing Garde pre vs. post West Ham away on 2nd Feb (I've excluded West Ham game due to early sending off anomaly), the difference is fairly dramatic. We had:

• worse possession (41.6% vs 51.4%)
  • fewer shots on target (2.0 vs, 3.8) and in total (8.7 vs. 11.1)
  • less play in final third (26.7% vs. 28%)
  • conceded more shots on target (6.0 vs. 4.2) and in total (13.7 vs. 11.6)
  • conceded more goals per game (2.6 vs. 1.5) and scored fewer (0.6 vs. 0.7)

Woah, woah, woah!  Don't bring stats into the mix to prove someone else wrong and highlight what happened after January-gate!

Garde played boring, negative, dull, unorganised football and is the worst manager ever in the World ever.  Fact.  Bring back Sherwood - at least he was entertaining!

:detect:

• Like 2

I feel sorry for him, he has genuinely been treated like shit, and I hope, once the non-disclosures are over, that he really lifts the lid on this club.

However, he did do a very poor job here, and circumstances did not warrant giving him a free pass. The tactics and approach to games were extremely poor, and he appears to have no ability to motivate players, yes they are a terrible bunch, but I was expecting him to at least get a little bump out of them, especially when first arriving, but this just didn't happen. 

So I'm glad he has gone, firstly for his own health and well being, but secondly because he did a poor job here and didn't show enough to suggest that he'd succeed under better conditions. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Sherwood broke the team; Garde failed to fix it

That sums it up nicely. I feel sorry for Garde as he never had a chance. The club is poisonous and needs a complete clear out & rebuild which will take years.

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

He'll be fine at any other club.

He won't have to deal with an abomination of a "board", constantly making the same, expensive mistakes - and he won't have spoilt little chavy rocket polishers as the spine of his team.  He might have a dressing room full of hardworking, tactically intelligent players - and he'll do well.

If there was one person at the club I didn't want to sack, despite his "uninspiring" demeanor, it was Remi Garde.  

But as it stands, with the current crop of idiots who pull on the shirt every week, I don't care who is in charge, it won't make a difference anyway.

That said, we'll still **** it up by appointing a shouty, old fashioned dickhead manager like Pearson, McCarthy etc who we'll sack after 18 months.  And ensure the circle of joke appointments and joke decisions carries on infinitely.

**** this football team (I can't say club).

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 1

Â