The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

18 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Mourinho didn't get sacked at Benfica, but they refused to given him a new contract which ended up with him resigning. I'd say that counts.

Chelsea then thought he was "the one that got away", and how how that turned out?!

5 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

The fact Hiddink, with the same squad, has them playing like they should be speaks volumes.

Now I'm not going to say Mourinho is a bad manager - his record speaks otherwise. He's also heavily tipped for the ManUre job.

However, he obviously wasn't right for Chelsea this season - ergo wrong manager at the wrong time.

It doesn't make sense mate - its a tedious link/comparison.  Plus isn't the saying is right manager at the wrong time?

From what I read, people suggest this about Garde for many reasons.  If he was hired a few years back, when there was a budget, he might have been given the time to create a football identity, and get us playing football - so the legend goes.  Now was the wrong time as he wasn't a mid-season, fire fighting appointment, for a relegation battle.  Th wrong time is considered due to external factors - no support in Jan transfer window, new to Premier League etc.

Mourinho was at Chelsea for a second spell, and the previous season won the league after signing his team that included Fabregas and Costa etc.  The many factors in Chelsea's poor season include the fact that he gave them extra time off during pre-season (even though the league kicked off earlier) so they started slow.  He caused unrest with the staff internally in the first game - blaming the physio for the draw v swansea.  Then going on to humiliate first team players - the Captain Terry at City, Matic against Liverpool, Hazard in the CL.  It wasn't the wrong time for Mourinho, he just messed up and lost the dressing room.

Edited by philgetaway
  • Like 1

Some are rightly so pointing out that it is the manager's job to motivate the players, and to make use of sound tactics to approach each game. But, could it be that the players could not be motivated? That they are happy with their lot, and that playing football was an inconvenience? As for the use of tactics, its quite limiting if it involves swapping one dud for another.

I would have liked to see certain players leave before the manager. If its the same squad next year under a different manager, then we will be just eating the same crap for breakfast, just in a different box.

Guus Hiddink?

Edited by AJ

6 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I think arguing over who is more to blame in terms of managers for our relegation is pretty pointless. I heard someone on the radio last night blame O'Neill who left 6 years ago. I think the bottom line is that a number of managers have had bit parts in our decline, a couple of CEO's likewise, but the main culprit is Randy Lerner. He has overseen the club lurch from various transfer policies - expensive/established, young hungry, foreign with potential, lurch from managers that are chalk and cheese in terms of styles and all that has now, after a number of years, left us with a squad that is unable to compete.

You know what though - I still trace back our decline to MON chucking the UEFA tie against Moscow. Installed a lack of belief, killed that season and the rest has been a compounding of mistakes. So - that's fair I reckon. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Read somewhere they were in talks with Sampaoli over taking charge next season! :P

well his hero Bielsa was treated like shit so be surprised if he goes

5 hours ago, Czechlad said:

I hope he smashes the league and dethrones PSG next season. Remi was a bad appointment, but not a bad manager. I really like the guy and hope he goes on to succeed. 

maybe in a hostile takeover he might but not a chance on the football field in more ways than one

10 hours ago, Czechlad said:

I hope he smashes the league and dethrones PSG next season. Remi was a bad appointment, but not a bad manager. I really like the guy and hope he goes on to succeed. 

I'd like to see him do well, but didn't see anything to suggest he was a good manager.

23 hours ago, Genie said:

I'd like to see him do well, but didn't see anything to suggest he was a good manager.

I agree.

But I also think it's the same as asking a painter to paint a picture, but only giving him a saw and some cotton wool to do it with.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I agree.

But I also think it's the same as asking a painter to paint a picture, but only giving him a saw and some cotton wool to do it with.

yes same with the manager before.

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

yes same with the manager before.

Not really.

The manager before got nearly £60m to shape his squad.

Remi got **** all.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I agree.

I know what you mean, he was stitched up proper by the club. Saying that, he just looked like a scared puppy. Even watching from the stands before his first proper game he looked lost.

Pitchside he rarely looked like he had any idea's and a main part of the reason for bringing him in was to get the frech speaking players performing which never happened either.

Its like a lot of our players, they might not have the ability but should at least be expected to put effort in. I didn't personally see much from RG at all in terms of leadership, inspiration, effort, passion... just a WTF look that never left and just going through the motions until the inevitable payoff.

I dunno, I think Ayew, Veretout and Gana all played significantly better in that period up to the Liverpool game (where everyone, including Garde, gave up) than they had under Sherwood. So I think he did have an effect.

But it was nowhere near enough.

54 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Was that remi or a few new players getting used to the league? 

Hard to say. In the case of Veretout I'd say it was almost certainly Remi.

Don't disagree with your second sentence, but the point was specifically about the "french" players.

Â