The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

Very poor so far, doesn't seem to be able to inject any fire and desire into the players so we can grind out results.

If we go down with a whimper this season he should be sacked.

His first 5 games have been;

Man City (3rd), Everton (10th), Watford (7th), Southampton (12th), and Arsenal (2nd).

FFS, what were people expecting?

Maximum 4 points IMO - I defy you to name anyone who realistically could've come here and achieved that from who was available out there.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

This.

Being paid loads doesn't make you immune to issues of confidence.

People keep quoting salaries and professions as if it does. but that's idyllic. The real world doesn't work like that.

No the real world doesn't work like that, but imo, the players lose all rights 'to the real world' when they sign on the dotted line saying I'm worth this much, when quite clearly they aren't.

I understand why they get what they can from a salary, I would too. But you can't have it both ways.

You can't claim an extortionate wage that we can only dream of, and then expect to be able to go hiding. I went hiding in my job, I'd be sacked. Simple as that.

And I'd say my job is even more 'confidence based' than a footballer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, supernova26 said:

This good manager has flucked 2 points out of 18 and plays Gestede every week.

An insipid apportionment if ever there was one. 

But because he's Wenger's mate he seems beyond criticism. 

And he's still banging the Adama isn't ready drum.

I'd be happy if he got a one way EuroStar ticket for Christmas. 

An obvious dud. 

If he was Fergie's mate, Scottish and ginger I wonder how people would react to him

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Jay.P.A said:

Man City (3rd), Everton (10th), Watford (7th), Southampton (12th), and Arsenal (2nd).

Maximum 4 points IMO - I defy you to name anyone who realistically could've come here and achieved that from who was available out there.

Yes but Newcastle have just beaten Liverpool and Spurs, Bournemouth, Chelsea and Man U. I don't think this season of all seasons you can look at games that way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jay.P.A said:

I expected organisation at most and maybe 4 points. We look more defensively disjointed than we have all season

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I expected organisation at most and maybe 4 points. We look more defensively disjointed than we have all season

While I agree that our defending is so bad this year that the hungover lads from the Dog and Partridge would probably score at least two past us on a Sunday morning kick about, I must point out that Garde has been without Amavi since Man City and Richards has missed the last two games. He's been unable to select a settled back four.

IMO the only major tactical blunder he's made so far, which he himself admitted, was not playing a defensive midfielder against Everton. I've not seen anything else that you would question from a tactical standpoint, it's simply the ability/confidence/execution of the players on the pitch that are letting us down at the moment.

• Like 4

well at moment we are conceding an average of 2 goals a game under this regime (would be higher if Southampton could finish)

Previously it was 1.7 goals conceded in last regime when we were meant be defensive shambles

• Like 1

well at moment we are conceding an average of 2 goals a game under this regime (would be higher if Southampton could finish)

Previously it was 1.7 goals conceded in last regime when we were meant be defensive shambles

Any defence that is forced to play Hutton and Richardson regularly is going to concede .Also we have played Everton ,Arsenal and City our fixtures have been very tough

He needs to create an "us V them" mentality really, Mourinho has been doing it since he whinged into Chelsea (went too far this year though and lost the players respect somewhat), it's what Pearson did last year (debatable how intentional it was), MON did it with us to an extent. Praise the players publicly and argue against anyone doubting it, blame other people for players not performing (ref/linesman/play acting/tea lady) and say it would never happen at "insert club in similar position". You may get fined, you may get touchline banned but you'll drum some determination into the players

It's short term, wouldn't work for more than a season or 2 but as I also believe he's a good manager it could help to just get us going a bit then actual management can do the rest

If we're still looking nailed on for relegation, incapable of winning a game in a few weeks time, I don't think people will continue to look at him as an option for next season. Those advocating his presence as our championship manager I'd argue would only really consider it if he kept us up. If we're still looking doomed in 3 weeks time I'm not sure there'll be many thinking he should be given another season, as philosophical as everyone appears to be at the moment. I think it might be a symptom of the desire to shout the loudest about how you know we're definitely going to be relegated.

Call it another failed mutation and bring in Alan curbishley will be the cry in a month.. 

Â