The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

49 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Quickest write off of a manager ever?

I'm talking not prior to the appointment, That happens a lot, but in terms of giving them a fair shot when they get the job.

Needs full season for write off, by which time it will be too late to have done anything about it...but that's the unfortunate, and very tense, situation we're in.  I can understand people being jumpy, totally get it - jumpy myself.

But we do need to sit this one out, there is still half a season to go...and the run up we have is a real test to our new manager.  I really don't think we can access, unfortunately, until we're already relegated...bad timing.

If we're relegated with no fight, he'll be written off in my mind as he won't have what it takes to defeat the chumpionship.  And conversely, if we're relegated but we put up a good fight and it's against the run of play I can very well support him in to get us out of there.  Let's see.

12 minutes ago, PaulC said:

What state was the team last season when Sherwood took over. Its more down to losing 4 key players and the recruitment policy than the fault of any manager.

I think both things play apart.

Remi was left with a squad that had lost 4 key players over the Summer and the replacements had been poorly bedded in, left with no confidence and no sense of tactics or positional play. Sherwood has to take the blame for the latter.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Jay.P.A said:

His first 5 games have been;

Man City (3rd), Everton (10th), Watford (7th), Southampton (12th), and Arsenal (2nd).

FFS, what were people expecting?

Maximum 4 points IMO - I defy you to name anyone who realistically could've come here and achieved that from who was available out there.

In all fairness when we played them Watford were in the bottom 8.

I’d have expected 4 points from his first 5 games. Beat Watford and pick up a draw in one of the other games.

There is no doubt he inherited a crap situation but it wasn't an impossible task and not a task others haven’t faced. When Sherwood was sacked we were 4 points from safety. We are now 8.

You can draw parallels to when Sherwood took over from Lambert. At that time we had not won for 10 games and had taken three points and were like now a pathetic shambles. When Sherwood was sacked we had not won for 9 games and had taken 4 points from 10 games. We were one point from safety with 13 games to go when Lambert was sacked. When Sherwood got the push it was 4 points from safety with 28 games to go. A tough ask to get us safe but one I didn’t feel at that time was an impossible task.

I don’t hold out any hope Garde can turn this around now. That isn’t just based on the fact we are now 8 points from safety and are yet to win under him. That is down to the fact that I don’t think since he arrived the players look any more determined under him or are showing any more fight. If anything the opposite has happened and they have shirked responsibility. The least you expect under a new manager is for the players to really roll their sleeves up and suddenly give an extra 10 or 20%. It hasn't happened.

I hope that Garde does get the players playing out of their skins. If things don’t show decent improvement though I don’t know if that can be put at Gardes door or we just simply say the players aren't, and were never, good enough. Likewise I don’t know if another manager could have done any better but so far I don’t think anyone could have done much worse either. Maybe after the next 4 games will be a better time to judge though.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

I think both things play apart.

Remi was left with a squad that had lost 4 key players over the Summer and the replacements had been poorly bedded in, left with no confidence and no sense of tactics or positional play. Sherwood has to take the blame for the latter.

He is, but I think that was partly down to the players not being fit enough or good enough so he didn't know his best team or formation so kept trying different things. If Garde keeps sticking with the same tactics and we keep losing then that is also a problem.

The further I look at it, the more I think Sherwood has less to be blamed for and the recruitment policy is more to blame.

Our squad is so incredibly disjointed.  We have no real wingers, but a lump of a striker designed to be a target man.  We have a host of decent-on-the-ball midfielders but no-one with a desire to break up play and get the ball forward quickly (maybe Gueye?).  We've also signed Jordaw Ayew (striker) and decided to play him as a wide forward for the most part.  It's baffling.

We should stick with Garde and let him set out how he wants a team to be setup and only recruit players who fit that style.  We've got a load of good potential at the moment who don't fit in that comfortably with each other and it's killing us.  Ability is there, design is not.

• Like 3

Having lost arguably 2 of our best performing players in Amavi and Richards has made an already difficult job nigh on impossible.  I'm really not about to blame Remi over the last few games and whatever happens over the rest of the season and next , I'd still like to see what he can build here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PaulC said:

What state was the team last season when Sherwood took over. Its more down to losing 4 key players and the recruitment policy than the fault of any manager.

The recruitment policy that Sherwood was a key part of.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

The further I look at it, the more I think Sherwood has less to be blamed for and the recruitment policy is more to blame.

O

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

24 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm honestly starting to wonder how key he was, though.  I mean, I know we can't believe whatever he's said but the signings are incredibly odd on the whole.

Just now, bobzy said:

I'm honestly starting to wonder how key he was, though.  I mean, I know we can't believe whatever he's said but the signings are incredibly odd on the whole.

I don't see why we shouldn't believe what Fox has reiterated that we operate transfers in exactly the same way as most clubs do.

Managers live and die by their signings.

There's no reason not to apply the same to Sherwood.

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't see why we shouldn't believe what Fox has reiterated that we operate transfers in exactly the same way as most clubs do.

Managers live and die by their signings.

There's no reason not to apply the same to Sherwood.

Who are "most clubs", though?  And why were us and Newcastle singled out on MOTD for having a particular setup when it comes to recruitment which hasn't boded well?

Managers don't really live and die by their signings, they live and die by results.  Sherwood didn't achieve them, but I'm starting to feel that the transfers weren't his (on the whole).  There's no way you have a recruitment policy in place that incorporates Lescott, Gestede, Amavi and Traore.  It makes no sense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Why should we believe Fox and not Tim though? What makes him more credible at this stage

Well the General, Faulkner and Lerner have always been totally 100% honest with us. So clearly everything Fox says is the truth.

Â