The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

I don't think Garde is the right appointment if we have ambitions of staying up.

I agree. And I don't think he's the right appointment if we are expecting relegation and wanting to come back up quickly. Nothing on his CV suggests to me he is the man to achieve that. It's all very well people saying "he's only had 5 games, give him a chance". Well, those were 5 games we couldn't afford to do badly in and we can't allow any more time for the manager to settle in. In view of the position the club is in, I think he was totally the wrong appointment.
  • Like 3

I can't blame Garde at all at the moment.

If we get relegated, I think he should be given a chance to offload the weight and build a squad to come back up. Likewise, if we stay up, he should be given a chance to try to get us up the table next season.

The problem we have is belief and player confidence. Despite what I've seen, I think we have an OK bunch of players (with some obvious exceptions) who shouldn't be in the relegation zone, but they're at the point now where they're so dejected and lacking confidence, they seem to have mentally checked out. It could be as simple as getting one more win and that sparking a domino effect.

I hope we do start playing with fight and belief, not because I feel we can stay up, but because I don't want us to go without fighting for it. Garde, for me, is getting as good as anyone could out of this squad right now.

... Except he keeps playing Gestede. Not sure how the hell that keeps happening..

A lot of the players just dont look interested. There was an article in the mail saying how little effort the players put in during matches. It said that Garde needed the players to run through walls for him if we are to stay up but he can't even get them to be arsed to track back. I'm not entirely convinced everyone is on board with Garde if I'm honest.

On 12/15/2015 at 07:23, villan_007 said:

Their salary has nothing to do with it. Earning fortunes isn't some miracle drug that can turn confidence around.

This.

Being paid loads doesn't make you immune to issues of confidence.

People keep quoting salaries and professions as if it does. but that's idyllic. The real world doesn't work like that.

14 hours ago, PaulC said:

No but is his remit to keep us in the division or more long-term?

I think his remit was probably both.

But hopefully (assuming he does a good job while he's here and doesn't end up being a disaster this season) the people in charge realise that failing on the first remit doesn't necessarily mean he's going to fail on the second remit.

23 hours ago, pacbuddies said:

....... Pearson was out of work - that's who id have gone for, 

FWIW....so would I

I just don't get how some fans are so anti, him.

It seems to me a tendency to want a foreign manager.....I have no axe to grind with Remi, we have to wait and see.

The reason I would have gone for Pearson is because, I think most of our problems are of a "John Bull" nature or lacking it.....He knows the English lower divisions, He knows where the Vardy's are and the Drinkwaters.....He likes the triers.

I think he would bring the much needed Discipline that this club requires, However I have a hunch Remi is no slouch on that either.

No one can be SURE of the right man.

We have Remi.....so we must get behind him.

Stoke have kind of morphed in to a more technical/expansive game from a pragmatic solid holding game.

as shankly used to say......You have to win the RIGHT to play football......Its all very well going out to entertain and improvising, when you are forever fetching the ball out of your own net.

First things first.

Edited by TRO

My trepidation around Pearson was the fact that he's so volatile.

That could work, or it could have been a total disaster.

I've seen nothing from Garde yet to suggest he's going to be worse than appointing Pearson would have been. He needs longer than 5 games to show that. I get the impression that longer term Garde would be the better choice.

This good manager has flucked 2 points out of 18 and plays Gestede every week.

An insipid apportionment if ever there was one. 

But because he's Wenger's mate he seems beyond criticism. 

And he's still banging the Adama isn't ready drum.

I'd be happy if he got a one way EuroStar ticket for Christmas. 

An obvious dud. 

Edited by supernova26
  • Like 1

Â