The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

13 hours ago, Richard said:

I think he's a poor manager.

Richard, I don't know if he is going to be any good, but I thought all our previous managers were ok to start with except Alex, I thought that was ill thought through from a footballing point of view.

I think this is a much bigger crisis than we all think, so don't judge him just yet

It is going to take much longer than any one of us care to admit.

We are not going to recover our position this season, you only have to watch the games to know there are too many problems with too many players.

• Like 1

I just don't see how anybody can possibly have reached the conclusion that Garde is a poor manager already.

He might turn out to be. But how you can judge him so conclusively at this point is beyond me,

• Like 2

I haven't been on here for a bit, everything Villa related is so depressing.

But I'm utterly staggered reading the last few pages.

Can there be one fan left who hasn't slated one, or even two !, of McLeish, Lambert, Sherwood, and now Garde ?

Duh !

It surely must be patently obvious to anybody that the common denominators are the owner and, also, the institution that is Villa. The whole environment, not least the fans ( however understandable) reeks of cobwebs, outdated views, an undeserved since of entitlement, lethargy, you name it.

Don't people look around and see other Managers struggling in far healthier clubs ? Swansea, Chelsea, Man United, Arsenal last year, Liverpool, the list goes on.....so what chance does the likes of Garde have inheriting a post iceberg Titanic ?

To forget our current woes I watched a rerun of Man Utd v Baggies on Itv 4 today.

What stood out was the almost telepathic knowledge the players, especially Brown, Brown, and Robson, had with each other.....I was curious and checked the wiki entries, these players played together over and over and over. For years .?....so not only, through confidence, were they making runs, they were also, through familiarity, knowing what balls to play and when, without even looking.

How on earth can our guys reproduce that, or the Manager be judged fairly, when we have had the huge amount of swapping and changing we've had, three Managers in, what, thirty games, a different team sent out by Tim virtually every game, a hugely disrupted back four, and, of course, no goalscorer and a confidence shot keeper ?

I see, at least, the beginnings of a recognisable first team, of a recognisable method, with analternative plan. Over the other side of the fence I see other recommended ' names' of Managers having their own troubles. A few weeks ago Bilic was the bees knees, not so long ago Monk, etc etc.

The theory with appointing Lambert was dead right. Keep the guy, let him have time to build and develop.

It didn't work, but it is still the right idea.

In my humble opinion not only is it way too soon to judge the guy, it is self destructive. 

As a footnote, just watching Albriton leads me to recall thecstick HE used to get, not long ago, on here.

Now he's top of the League.

We have some players who can be decent, we have a Manager who could be, but they are all in the same swamp at the moment, which, as a Club, we've been sinking in for a long time. 

Look how hard it is even for proven Champions like Chelsea to get out that swamp, once you are in.

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AVTuco said:

New manager bounce?

1 hour ago, AndyC said:

is a myth

We had one last season briefly under Sherwood and I think we were all hoping for similar. When Lambert left we had taken 3 points from the previous 10 games and had not won in 10 games. Sherwood then over the next 10 games took 13 points which whilst note spectacular was a huge improvement on the previous 10 games. When Sherwood was sacked we had taken 4 points in 10 games and not won in 9 and I was hoping for a similar return in Gardes first 10 games to what we achieved in Sherwoods first 10. If Garde can take 11 points from the next 5 games he would achieve that and possibly have us back with in 3 or 4 points of safety. Unfortunately I just don't see it happening.

6 hours ago, BOF said:

I didn't realise you were saying that.  I have to say I completely disagree with that too.

At the game I felt we were on top before they scored.

Having rewatched  it my view is the same.

And overall I actually think we played pretty well !

I'll go so far as to say if IF, we play at that level against Newcastle, we will WIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why are we the fans slated all of a sudden in some areas? Media or otherwise. We've sold out Norwich away being rock bottom for one. Us as fans are superb in my opinion and turn up in droves through the thick and thin. There was attempts to get behind the team at points on Saturday, when they give you nothing to get behind it becomes a struggle.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

We had one last season briefly under Sherwood and I think we were all hoping for similar. When Lambert left we had taken 3 points from the previous 10 games and had not won in 10 games. Sherwood then over the next 10 games took 13 points which whilst note spectacular was a huge improvement on the previous 10 games. When Sherwood was sacked we had taken 4 points in 10 games and not won in 9 and I was hoping for a similar return in Gardes first 10 games to what we achieved in Sherwoods first 10. If Garde can take 11 points from the next 5 games he would achieve that and possibly have us back with in 3 or 4 points of safety. Unfortunately I just don't see it happening.

But, ( in the clutching at straws department !)....a big criticism of Sherwood, justified in hindsight, was that this ' boost' was an adrenaline fuelledcresponse to his " up and at ' em" approach, which was unsustainable.

Perhaps Garde is doing things in a way which will lead to slow improvement, that is sustainable.

Personally, even if, as is likely, we go down, I'd rather see that.

3 minutes ago, terrytini said:

But, ( in the clutching at straws department !)....a big criticism of Sherwood, justified in hindsight, was that this ' boost' was an adrenaline fuelledcresponse to his " up and at ' em" approach, which was unsustainable.

Perhaps Garde is doing things in a way which will lead to slow improvement, that is sustainable.

was about to say similar, I think Sherwood got the bounce because his attitude was the complete opposite to Lamberts, his talk alone lifted the club and fans alike but that can only get you so far.

16 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I admire your optimism mate even if as things stand I don't in any way share it. I am sure those at the top of the club and the majority of fans were hoping for a quick impact from Garde not a slow improvement. Given our predicament we needed a pretty much instant upturn in results regardless of performances but so far we have seen neither.

If Garde was someone who can improve this bunch but it will take him beyond this season then he was probably the wrong man given the predicament we are in. That is of course assuming this bunch can be improved to become competitive in this league.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hanky said:

Why are we the fans slated all of a sudden in some areas? Media or otherwise. We've sold out Norwich away being rock bottom for one. Us as fans are superb in my opinion and turn up in droves through the thick and thin. There was attempts to get behind the team at points on Saturday, when they give you nothing to get behind it becomes a struggle.

I've heard it several times now, "the atmosphere at Villa Park can become hostile when things go wrong, it's a hard place to play for a home team, blah, blah, blah".

And then they mention our poor home record but they never seem to make the obvious link that if the former is ever true, then perhaps it's a result of the latter. Nope, let's have a little dig at the fans instead.

I know they'll be twitching, waiting for a mass exodus before half time like they've done at Sunderland a couple of times this year.

Apologies, my post is probably better suited in the media thread.

• Like 2

This has to be one of the first times as a fan where I'm deflated and feeling somewhat defeated but I'm not annoyed at the manager. Under Sherwood I was frustrated at him as he seemed to get it "right" when he initially came in. Garde has adopted a team full of Sherwood purchases that would barely be a mid-table Championship side let alone Premier League material. I think the only thing that annoys me about Garde is why he took the job in the first place as he's going to be credited as the manager that lost our ever present Premier League status when the blame is not his to take. We're going down, that much is obvious I just want it over with now..

Â