The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

6 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I can't take anyone who thinks Pearson would have been the right decision seriously.

I agree, as a person he comes across as a total rocket polisher......... but as a gaffer, hes the sort of leader we needed.  His "Us against the world" mentality seems to rub off.......... He pulled Leicester from the brink remarkably, and built pretty much the side that now sits top of the league on a relative shoestring...... hes also got proven track record in the lower leagues of getting clubs into promotion positions..........

Whats Garde done?  Finished 5th in a league with only 4 decent clubs.............. oh I forgot, hes French n played as sub for Arsenal..........

12 hours ago, John said:

On BBC Radio WM tonight Garde said "We will have to take points from that game (Newcastle) and then maybe we will have the chance, if we are not capable to do that then it will be over but for the moment its..I see that as a great opportunity to have still in end the opportunity to get points from direct opponents"

He said the above. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, terrytini said:

I don't know what you expect ? (often !).

Are you saying no professional footballer should ever need this sort of thing ?

Well I've news for you, they all do at some point.

Even our heroes from the golden seventies had poor games, made mistakes, lost confidence, messed stuff up, went missing, and all the other stuff. As have all players from all Clubs. And all sports. And all jobs. And life.

And that's without taking into account the precariousness of our position.

And apart from any tactical tweaks involved rather than just being told " not to hide".

The thing is Terry, when you have a team that is doing very well every week, you can carry a player for a few weeks until he gets his form back and generally no one is the wiser as the team continues to get results.

e.g Gordon Cowans never had a great season( despite him being a great player) when we won the league, but it is forgotten/negated by the teams results.

We just have too many not functioning at the same time.

• Like 1

Its all about our form.....not the points tally.

e.g end of March 2014..... Leicester had 4 wins & 7 draws culminating 19 points.

Their run started at home to west ham ......They went on to secure 7 wins & 1 draw conceding 1 loss to the league champions.

It was their change in form and subsequent confidence that seen them through.

We must find a formula/Line up to find form and raise confidence if we have any chance at all.

.......Its is not impossible.....But it is if we keep playing like we are.

Ps it is about points but what i mean is the form that gives you a chance to get them.....its what comes first.

Edited by TRO

- if Garde thinks Veretout and Gana can tip tap their way out of the championship while looking round bemused every time they lose the ball - then they got another thing coming................ 

Who would you like him to play instead?

I've a few issues with the selections, the main one being persisting with Gestede. But I'm not sure you've explained this one particularly well.

To do that we need to take more risks and pick players that can hurt the opposition like Traore. We also need to play with the same intensity that Leicester do. That first half against Arsenal was a disgrace. Its ok Garde picking and choosing games we can win but thats no good when you are so far adrift and Newcastle and Bournemouth are beating teams that Garde doesn't consider we are equal to. Losing mentality.

• Like 4

Im in the belief that w have a shit squad. said in other thread this team is worse than the shambles Lambert was left with in 2012/13

most teams that go down are ripped apart but except Richards and maybe Ayew no team will take any of our players based on current form. I would say Amavi but his injury will probably keep him here next season

• Like 1

If you check out all the managers personalities of the league champions over the last 50 years, you will be none the wiser.

They all have their own way of delivering their message.

7 hours ago, villarocker said:

Lexicon, 

You mentioned the lack of confidence in the team; Veretout was a prime example on Sunday. First half, he drifted around making himself marked as if to have no chance of receiving the ball. Second half, he was asking for the ball more and improved. 

That was surely down to the half time team talk? 

We have to remember that a lot of the new players are young and they will probably know the significance of what it means to relegate our club. I think the pressure is showing on some of them. A win for this team could work wonders. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not slating the manager for the players' doldrums. 

46 minutes ago, PaulC said:

To do that we need to take more risks and pick players that can hurt the opposition like Traore. We also need to play with the same intensity that Leicester do. That first half against Arsenal was a disgrace. Its ok Garde picking and choosing games we can win but thats no good when you are so far adrift and Newcastle and Bournemouth are beating teams that Garde doesn't consider we are equal to. Losing mentality.

I am not always that keen to pick out players, because essentially its a team game.

but we will not be doing any team any harm, with a performance like Gestede put in.

Alan Shearer is right to say he was hiding, because thats what it looked like and I think if you asked Andy Gray or Peter withe, they too would agree.

We simply, cant stay up with that kind of performance.....The service is not great, but he should be screaming/gesticulating for the ball.

Its all too ******* passive.....We need to find some urgency from somewhere.

Edited by TRO

Leicester had a game plan and the players to implement it.  We don't.  We're down as far as I'm concerned.  Could we stay up? Yeah of course, but there's far too much work with this squad to actually do it.  Leicester had Cambiasso, who's won the CL 3 seasons prior.  He could guide the younger players and Leicester had a decent spine of a team.  We're weak, slow, create limited opportunities, make mistakes which lead to goals, we have no movement, not much pace it has to be said, so what exactly have we got that will worry other teams?

Leicester also pulled some pretty big results out of the bag towards the end of last season, no teams are worried about playing Villa.  On the team bus I bet its "They've only won at VP once in the last 5 years" - this breeds confidence among opponents.  Villa also very rarely pull off shock results, we're a safe bet that top 6 clubs will beat us, and we'll give a game to the bottom 6, the other teams won't worry too much about us either.

We have a poor squad with morale through the floor.  One win may spark a mini revival, but on Sunday we could still be 8 points from saftey (or 3 games), and that's demoralising.  It's December and we're already relying on other teams slipping up to even keep in sight, and that's dangerous.

I just think there's nothing about this Villa team which will put the shits up enough clubs to give us the edge.  I currently think most teams are looking at us and thinking "3 points".

Just get to May and have a plan, because we're desperately in need of one.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Leicester had a game plan and the players to implement it.  We don't.  We're down as far as I'm concerned.  Could we stay up? Yeah of course, but there's far too much work with this squad to actually do it.  Leicester had Cambiasso, who's won the CL 3 seasons prior.  He could guide the younger players and Leicester had a decent spine of a team.  We're weak, slow, create limited opportunities, make mistakes which lead to goals, we have no movement, not much pace it has to be said, so what exactly have we got that will worry other teams?

Leicester also pulled some pretty big results out of the bag towards the end of last season, no teams are worried about playing Villa.  On the team bus I bet its "They've only won at VP once in the last 5 years" - this breeds confidence among opponents.  Villa also very rarely pull off shock results, we're a safe bet that top 6 clubs will beat us, and we'll give a game to the bottom 6, the other teams won't worry too much about us either.

We have a poor squad with morale through the floor.  One win may spark a mini revival, but on Sunday we could still be 8 points from saftey (or 3 games), and that's demoralising.  It's December and we're already relying on other teams slipping up to even keep in sight, and that's dangerous.

I just think there's nothing about this Villa team which will put the shits up enough clubs to give us the edge.  I currently think most teams are looking at us and thinking "3 points".

good post

My point is that whilst Garde isn't exactly tearing up any trees he was IMO one of the best managers available and i'm still surprised we got him. Allardyce would possibly have kept us up and if that is what it's all about then yeah, he'd probably be the better candidate but the reality is he was already in a job.
True, im just firing names, but Allardyce was what, in the job a week or so, surely we knew what was going on behind the scenes so could have worded the bloke up.......... Pearson was out of work - that's who id have gone for, he may not have kept us up, as we were  too far gone, but hed have certainly had the knowhow to have us in a position to go for 1st time promotion next year - if Garde thinks Veretout and Gana can tip tap their way out of the championship while looking round bemused every time they lose the ball - then they got another thing coming................  I agree on paper, Garde looked a bit of a coup, but IMO, the situ we are in this wasn't the approach we should have been taking.   This isn't a position that we will play our way out of...... this is a position where we needed to scrap our way out of............. and judging by the last few games, it looks like the players at his disposal don't want to fight, track and do the shit side of the game for him, like they didn't Sherwood.............. so for me, I stand by my prediction that he will be a disastrous appointment............ hope im wrong........ not all Garde fault, but if come the end of the season were still rooted in the bottom 3 and down, we cant all point our finger at Sherwood, and garde has to take his share of the blame as he will have been gaffer over 20 plus games........... im resigned to relegation, but im also resigned to mid table obscurity in the championship if Garde remains in charge

Yes but it was the same with Sherwood this season after keeping us up last season and getting us to a cup final, yet he got called names like a clown and a chancer. I don't think Garde is the right appointment if we have ambitions of staying up.

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

The most depressing thing about this season is that we were better than Leicester for most of the game.  We only had a couple of the new boys in the team so the rest were being given time to settle, Gil and Grealish worked well together, and we had that attacking spirit we finished last season.  Then the subs happened, and you couldn't get two more stark contrasts in clubs' seasons than ours and Leicester.  I still can't believe Sherwood ripped up that team based on his substitutions losing the game.  It's the next few weeks of utter shambles that has destroyed everything on the playing side, and it will be a miracle to get things back going in the right direction any time soon.

• Like 2

Â