The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Why should we believe Fox and not Tim though? What makes him more credible at this stage

Tim has never disagreed with what Fox said. So you can believe both of them.

17 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

This is the problem. You're admitting yourself that you're not talking about the real world.

We'd all love it if the players went out and, because the players are paid loads, they gave absolutely everything every time.

But, you said yourself, the real world doesn't work like that.

In fact, the more you get paid, the less motivating a factor money becomes. It's human nature.

So you can keep banging this drum all you like, but it's not how the world, football or otherwise, works.

Yes but my point is that players are let back into the real world by fans who pussy foot around them. 

Used to work with a real madrid fan. Used to say that if certain players dont perform then the crowd would boo.

For instance he went to a game once where they won 2-0. Brazilian ronaldo came off having not scored to a round of boos because he had not 

Now I'm not saying that is the way to go about it as it's a bit extreme, but our players, especially, have been encouraged and encouraged and encouraged by us. Supported to the hilt. And they STILL deliver utter shit. 

About time we start making them feel the pressure coz we sure as hell don't hold back when it's the manager.

In my eyes, footballers want the real world when it suits them. Loads of money, fame flash cars etc until it's nye and Rio ferdinand decides he wants to tell the world how tough he has it over nye as he has a game on nyd. Or until they're struggling for results and want the crowd to help them out.

Sick of them. There's a little but of jealousy in there il admit. Motivated by money myself and Id love to have been a footballer.

But, WE, as a nation in fact, have got to stop worshipping them and tell them a few home truths. Because the vast majority of them at villa are nothing short of a disgrace. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

The recruitment policy that Sherwood was a key part of.

I don't think we will ever know the full in and outs, basically there was Almstadt,Reilly and Sherwood involved in the selection process and then I assume Fox/Lerner giving the green light financially for deals. Collectively between all of them for whatever reason it was a total disaster. I dare say that Sherwood did not get everyone he wanted, I dare say some of the players highlighted by Almstadt and Reilly were highlighted based on what our custodian was willing to pay out.

My assumption would be that everyone was shafted by Lerner to some degree. As to whether Reilly and Almstadt are good at what they do ( I don't) well that's another story. This whole mess is pretty much all Lerner's doing, he has made a mess of biblical proportions and until he is gone we are totally ****

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KHV said:

I don't think we will ever know the full in and outs, basically there was Almstadt,Reilly and Sherwood involved in the selection process and then I assume Fox/Lerner giving the green light financially for deals. Collectively between all of them for whatever reason it was a total disaster. I dare say that Sherwood did not get everyone he wanted, I dare say some of the players highlighted by Almstadt and Reilly were highlighted based on what our custodian was willing to pay out.

My assumption would be that everyone was shafted by Lerner to some degree. As to whether Reilly and Almstadt are good at what they do ( I don't) well that's another story. This whole mess is pretty much all Lerner's doing, he has made a mess of biblical proportions and until he is gone we are totally ****

Nope, nope, nope stop saying this it's totally wrong.

Almstadt has literally nothing to do with transfers.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, YLN said:

I'm guessing Tim had ideas for the signings he wanted to make. Spurs players that he knew. Adebayor, Townsend. Players like that. Then the Villa negotiating team came back to him and said, look they really don't seem to represent value for money. Townsend is asking for 60k and Adebayor wants 100k, and then on top of that there'll be agent fees and the transfer fees. Now if you want to go through with this, we can try to get a deal done, but that would be the extent of your transfer dealings this summer. And we really have a few holes in our squad that we think you should probably fill. How about you meet with Paddy Reilly. He has identified some targets he'd like you to consider.

So Tim meets Reilly and has a chat about the 50 players Reilly has identified. Reilly talks up a certain 7 that he knows would be likely to come off. Sherwood gets talked into these signings, feeling a bit dejected that his previous ideas weren't going to come to fruition, but still enthused on the basis of the chat with Reilly. Then it goes to shit because Sherwood doesn't know what he's doing, and he turns around and maybe gives the impression to journalists that these weren't his signings. Not the ones he wanted to make, that he plucked out of his head from his decades of experience as a top footballing man.

Remi I'm guessing will be operating under a similar system. Managers get told what players might be good by their scouting system. The idea that these signings then are not 'theirs' doesn't really hold up because that's what a scouting network is for. To identify players that might fit into the manager's plans that the latter then would greenlight. It's not that Sherwood searched the FM database and went to Tom Fox and gave him a print out of all the players with certain attributes and, had we signed them, then they would be 'his signings'. What I'm saying is that you can understand why Sherwood, an idiot, might feel as if the signings are not his.

feasible.....we simply don't know enough of behind the scenes to make an informed judgment.

we can only go by ,what we see on matchday......because thats all we are allowed to see.

1 hour ago, Woodytom said:

Yes but my point is that players are let back into the real world by fans who pussy foot around them. 

Used to work with a real madrid fan. Used to say that if certain players dont perform then the crowd would boo.

For instance he went to a game once where they won 2-0. Brazilian ronaldo came off having not scored to a round of boos because he had not 

Now I'm not saying that is the way to go about it as it's a bit extreme, but our players, especially, have been encouraged and encouraged and encouraged by us. Supported to the hilt. And they STILL deliver utter shit. 

About time we start making them feel the pressure coz we sure as hell don't hold back when it's the manager.

In my eyes, footballers want the real world when it suits them. Loads of money, fame flash cars etc until it's nye and Rio ferdinand decides he wants to tell the world how tough he has it over nye as he has a game on nyd. Or until they're struggling for results and want the crowd to help them out.

Sick of them. There's a little but of jealousy in there il admit. Motivated by money myself and Id love to have been a footballer.

But, WE, as a nation in fact, have got to stop worshipping them and tell them a few home truths. Because the vast majority of them at villa are nothing short of a disgrace. 

and the (recent)local boys are amongst the worst.

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Nope, nope, nope stop saying this it's totally wrong.

Almstadt has literally nothing to do with transfers.

I actually think it's probably true that he didn't. But I certainly don't have that much faith in the new mouth piece of a club that has said a load of shit in the past years, to say that it's totally wrong. 

Looks like he's at least trying to clean up a bit of the mess at the club.

On N'Zogbia:

"Charles could have given more than he has given to the team in the first two or three weeks when I came," said Garde. "Charles' story with Aston Villa is a long one, with some difficult stuff, and he is ending his contract soon.

"Charles is not the worst person I have ever met. I am just here to try to pick up the players I feel who are the most committed for this very difficult task we have. I am not saying Charles is a bad person. Sometimes it doesn't work between players and clubs, players and managers."

"It's not only about Charles. When you are wearing the shirt and defending the club's colours you need to be peaceful with everyone, the football club, manager, team-mates,"

On Gabby:

"When a player is not selected in the team, like Gabby last week, obviously it creates a disagreement.

"Sometimes disagreements or mistakes in life are not definitive.

"Sometimes you learn from that. You can have a discussion and have a new start. It can match or it can not match, I don't know."

"For Gabby and the rest of the team, when you change manager and the way of working, maybe suddenly you don't feel comfortable.

"I'm not saying that about Gabby especially. It will be the same for every player.

"I want to trust my player and for my players to trust me and how we try to play and win games."
"As I told you, for Gabby or another player, maybe they will not see what we're doing or where we're going. I don't know.

Agree 100% with him on both N'Zogbia and Gabby. Also think he's got a very strong point with his view on Traore. But it always sits uncomfortably with me when any manager of any team shares this in public, it should be kept in house. Just screams of divisions, fractured relationships and an unhappy squad.

Back every single one of them in public, then be honest with them at BMH. I always think clubs that share this kind of information and feelings with the press are in an even bigger mess than we think - and when that comes to Villa it must be bad!

Jack, I agree with you that criticism should be private first and almost always.  But, do you think that no manager has told Gabby or CNZ privately in the last 3 years.  "I need more effort from you?"  or "I need you to be more clinical?" or  "I need you to carry the ball into a position that isn't a dead end?"

Maybe this is plan B, after plan A has failed multiple times.  In which case I'm fine with it.  Better a risky plan B than to continue the shite those two have given far too often.

5 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

Agree 100% with him on both N'Zogbia and Gabby. Also think he's got a very strong point with his view on Traore. But it always sits uncomfortably with me when any manager of any team shares this in public, it should be kept in house. Just screams of divisions, fractured relationships and an unhappy squad.

Back every single one of them in public, then be honest with them at BMH. I always think clubs that share this kind of information and feelings with the press are in an even bigger mess than we think - and when that comes to Villa it must be bad!

Gabby and Nzogbia are lost causes so nothing can be said in public that's detrimental. As for Traore you miss out the fact he actually gives him a lot of credit but he highlights what we all know. He is young and raw and needs to work harder without the ball. It's nothing new and I guarantee it's the reason we have had the chance to sign him. The press and a lot of supporters want Traore to start Gard has given the reason why so there's no doubt in anyone's mind. How would you want him to answer the question? 

Â