The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

I just don't agree it's a risk. There needs to be a credible negative result from an action that wouldn't be present otherwise for something to be 'risky'. You're going to say that's 'not getting better' but firstly, we haven't shown many signs of getting better thusfar, and secondly, getting better without getting safe is hardly much of a positive. Relegation is relegation. 

To be clear, I wouldn't be saying the same thing if we were 17th, level on points with 18th or something, and I haven't said anything like this in any of our recent relegation battles. But we're last, eight points from safety, and haven't won for fifteen games or four calendar months. Again - things can't get any worse. 

22 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

In all fairness when we played them Watford were in the bottom 8.

I’d have expected 4 points from his first 5 games. Beat Watford and pick up a draw in one of the other games.

There is no doubt he inherited a crap situation but it wasn't an impossible task and not a task others haven’t faced. When Sherwood was sacked we were 4 points from safety. We are now 8.

You can draw parallels to when Sherwood took over from Lambert. At that time we had not won for 10 games and had taken three points and were like now a pathetic shambles. When Sherwood was sacked we had not won for 9 games and had taken 4 points from 10 games. We were one point from safety with 13 games to go when Lambert was sacked. When Sherwood got the push it was 4 points from safety with 28 games to go. A tough ask to get us safe but one I didn’t feel at that time was an impossible task.

I don’t hold out any hope Garde can turn this around now. That isn’t just based on the fact we are now 8 points from safety and are yet to win under him. That is down to the fact that I don’t think since he arrived the players look any more determined under him or are showing any more fight. If anything the opposite has happened and they have shirked responsibility. The least you expect under a new manager is for the players to really roll their sleeves up and suddenly give an extra 10 or 20%. It hasn't happened.

I hope that Garde does get the players playing out of their skins. If things don’t show decent improvement though I don’t know if that can be put at Gardes door or we just simply say the players aren't, and were never, good enough. Likewise I don’t know if another manager could have done any better but so far I don’t think anyone could have done much worse either. Maybe after the next 4 games will be a better time to judge though.

Absolutely Spot on !!!!

If we go down with a whimper, and these set of players continue to show no drive, workrate or passion, then we are absolutely pissing in the wind if we think this group, manager included, will get us out of the championship...............

30 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I just don't agree it's a risk. There needs to be a credible negative result from an action that wouldn't be present otherwise for something to be 'risky'. You're going to say that's 'not getting better' but firstly, we haven't shown many signs of getting better thusfar, and secondly, getting better without getting safe is hardly much of a positive. Relegation is relegation. 

To be clear, I wouldn't be saying the same thing if we were 17th, level on points with 18th or something, and I haven't said anything like this in any of our recent relegation battles. But we're last, eight points from safety, and haven't won for fifteen games or four calendar months. Again - things can't get any worse. 

The credible negative result is that things don't get better.

At the moment the situation is that things are shit. They might carry on being shit or they MIGHT get better. There is currently a chance that things will improve.

The risk is removing that chance of things improving.

If you've got a lottery ticket, you're probably not going to be a millionaire because the chances of winning are low. But you are still at risk of losing that ticket and then having zero chance of winning. Things haven't got worse for you, because they can't in that scenario, but you have removed the possibility of things getting better.

That is the risk.

Just because you have nothing, doesn't mean there is no risk. This isn't even about football, it's statistics.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

You say that as though it's obvious but it's actually really tough.

I'd sooner only play Ayew regularly out of them.

I'd play Gabby, Ayew and Nzogbia up front

2 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

Does booing honestly make you feel better? 

Not me personally no, the only people I've booed was Platt on his return (which I now think was uncalled for) and Luis suarez.

But if others want to, I'm not against them doing it. I'm of the opinion, if you've bought the ticket, and it's shot. you have that right.

11 hours ago, a m ole said:

Finally we have a manager who has looked at the wages Gabby and N'Zogbia are on, seen what they bring to the team on and off the field (little) and rightly challenged their motivation. He also very clearly knows what he wants from the team and is challenging Adama to become a complete player. I'm very happy with his actual management, I just hope the results pick up soon.

Lack of effort could be said about the majority of the players to be honest. I don't think it is just down to CNZ and Gabby to be fair. Especially when you watch Arsenal's second goal, certain individuals displayed some of the most unproffesional and lazy attitudes I have ever witnessed on a pitch.

43 minutes ago, KHV said:

I'd play Gabby, Ayew and Nzogbia up front

I'm struggling to decide whether we'd be better off playing that front 3, or playing with 9 men just to not have Gabby and CNZ on the pitch.

It's a close call.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm struggling to decide whether we'd be better off playing that front 3, or playing with 9 men just to not have Gabby and CNZ on the pitch.

It's a close call.

Stick with Sinclair & Gestede then. They are on fire

1 minute ago, KHV said:

Stick with Sinclair & Gestede then. They are on fire

I'd much rather stick with them than the lineup you suggested.

But that's irrelevant as there are countless other combinations I'd try before I tried yours

Grealish-Ayew-Gil

Gil-Ayew-Traore

Ayew-Gestede-Adama

My Gran-Ayew-A cardboard box

Adama-Gestede-Grealish

etc

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd much rather stick with them than the lineup you suggested.

But that's irrelevant as there are countless other combinations I'd try before I tried yours

Grealish-Ayew-Gil

Gil-Ayew-Traore

Ayew-Gestede-Adama

My Gran-Ayew-A cardboard box

Adama-Gestede-Grealish

etc

Gil out wide is no for me, Gestede at all is a no for me, Grealish is also a no for me.

FWIW I don't think Ayew-Kozak-Traore would be a bad choice either but our manager doesn't seem to want to give Traore a starting chance even though he is the only player we have that's capable of going past people and who looks dangerous and he doesn't want to give Kozak a chance because scoring goals is not always enough apparently.

I still, for the life of me, do not understand how Gabby was given a new contract. I like the fact that Remi is being ruthless with both, he can see what they both are. One is a total waste of space with absolutely no technical ability at all whatsoever, the other has a little bit of talent, but his arrogance has meant that he has not developed as a footballer in terms of awareness what happens around him on the pitch. Both of them seemingly only care about the money and lifestyle. 

Hopefully they are no longer on our books come the end of Jan.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The credible negative result is that things don't get better.

At the moment the situation is that things are shit. They might carry on being shit or they MIGHT get better. There is currently a chance that things will improve.

The risk is removing that chance of things improving.

If you've got a lottery ticket, you're probably not going to be a millionaire because the chances of winning are low. But you are still at risk of losing that ticket and then having zero chance of winning. Things haven't got worse for you, because they can't in that scenario, but you have removed the possibility of things getting better.

That is the risk.

Just because you have nothing, doesn't mean there is no risk. This isn't even about football, it's statistics.

I'll just respond by quoting myself from the post you quoted:

'. . . firstly, we haven't shown many signs of getting better thusfar, and secondly, getting better without getting safe is hardly much of a positive. Relegation is relegation.'

I could give two **** about improving. You've said yourself any improvement is highly unlikely to be enough to save us - I will go further and say there is absolutely no chance of any improvement saving us. So why would I care about it? The extent of my ambition for this season is beating Derby's points total. Beyond that, I don't care. 

EDIT: Obviously I'm exceptionally bitter and pissed off with this football club right now. But I can't pretend to care about this season, it's a write-off. I hope I'll feel more like I give a shit in the summer. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

Â