New manager

KJT123

Poyet must be a smokescreen put out there. The club saw at first hand what we did to his shambolic Sunderland side 6 months ago. 

the only team that played more negative football as us last season, they had a lot of 0-0 draws and Villa vs Sunderland was a hopeless game

Cmon, it's gonna be garde - no compo, ligue 1 experience to match our new players, arsenal connections, current employer saying he is in advanced talks, trent saying it will be him, bookies saying he is clear favourite. Just want it done fast so we can get cracking and to stop stooppid media stories about dwight and gus etc.

I just really don't see us sacking someone with only half a season PL experience, to replace him with someone with none. Theres just to many millions at stake. Randy will want the best bloke to get us 17th and secure his TV money. 

He has a Premier League winners medal, he has enough experience of this league

• Like 1

As he departed Brentford due to the player recruitment issue, would he come to Villa?

different scenario, the brentford lot are full on stats mad - using algorithims etc to judge performance and results. Different to a club who just have a holistic preference for affordable talent who can be sold on profitably.

He wanted the final say on transfers, I am unsure what happens at Villa, so will he have that say? He seems a man of principle, but the lure of Rangers despite that being a circus shows every man has a price.

The more I think about this the more I think a foreign manager is more likely to be used to, or at least willing to, work under the current structure.

Sherwood commented the other day that in terms of incoming players he put some names forward to the committee, they also put some names forward, as did the scouts and the committee then went away and decided which players to bring in. It suggested the manager did not even sit on that committee. For me that is not a structure a British manager is going to be happy to work under. Paul Lambert said the other week that some people making footballing decisions and deciding which players to bring in wouldn't even know what a football is blown up with. I don't know if he was talking from experience at Villa or if he was referring to what goes on at other clubs. He also commented that it has to be the manager that decides ultimately which players are purchased as it is ultimately his head on the block if things go wrong. I'd imagine a lot of British managers feel like that and you get the impression be it Alex Ferguson, David Moyes, Allardyce, Lambert, Pearson or Pulis these managers will listen to their scouts but want to be the ones deciding on player purchases. It seems that isn't the case now at Aston Villa.

I am not sure the structure we have in place now is one I like but for it to have a chance of working then you need everyone singing form the same hymn sheet and happy to work with in it. For me that now points to a foreign manager or maybe that should be rephrased to head coach.

Yorke wants the job hahahahahahahahaha 

Yorke did raise  agood point though. Not saying I want him but he said whats the point of young coaches like him doing their badges when no-one will give them an opportunity. I would not oppose any ex-villians coming in as coaches as at least I know they care about the club. Hopefully one day see Laursen in the club in some capacity

we just gave Sherwood the job who is a young coach and has all his badges. At least Yorke didnt go down the Sol Campbell route

As he departed Brentford due to the player recruitment issue, would he come to Villa?

different scenario, the brentford lot are full on stats mad - using algorithims etc to judge performance and results. Different to a club who just have a holistic preference for affordable talent who can be sold on profitably.

Almstadt is stats made, that's what he does and the whole reason he was bought in. I doubt Warburton would be keen on Villa at all

He didn't though - it was much more complicated than that. Ultimately nobody knows the full truth of the matter but the generally accepted Warburton left Brentford because he wasn't able to have the control he wanted in all aspects of the club. Player recruitment was part of that but only a small part. 

We have to try for Moyes, if we can't get him then move on to the next best manager , Pearson has experience and to me seems the next obvious choice.

We could also take a gamble on a foreign or lower league manager.

The one advantage a foreign manger would have is not being immediately part of the premier league hyper bowl, their social circle will be a relief from all the stress, a british based manager lives and breathes it all.

Anyway the decision has to be made ASAP and I would expect an announcement within a week.

On the "our record with French players/mangers" thing, not only is it utterly irrelevant, Houllier was far from a disaster and Amavi looks a player. So yeah, I disagree on all counts!

Really ? - Houllier was pretty close to a disaster in my book. Mcallister and Darren Bent saved his ass from memory.

I'd like villa old boys being part of the set up, be it youth or first team. Like what Ajax have done. Yorke may be a clearing in the woods in some posters eyes and that's fair enough, but he gave me some of  my favourite ever memories of being a villa fan and would welcome his appointment in a relevant role. 

Yorke did raise  agood point though. Not saying I want him but he said whats the point of young coaches like him doing their badges when no-one will give them an opportunity. I would not oppose any ex-villians coming in as coaches as at least I know they care about the club. Hopefully one day see Laursen in the club in some capacity

I don't think it's a valid point because in what other profession do you do your badges, or your degree, or your apprenticeship and walk into a job at the very highest level without plying your trade in lower stakes roles first? These guys think that because they played at top clubs they should manage at them immediately. Give it a go at Solihull Moors Dwight, get some actual working experience instead of thinking you can take one of the top jobs in the country because you took a course.

• Like 2

Lower leagues are there for him to prove his managerial abilities.

This.

Yorke made a choice (the correct one to be fair) to go to Man Utd and win trophies. However, he forced a move and treated the club with disrespect. I'll never forget how he played in that game at Everton before he left. He now has to live with the consequences - he is not loved by Villa fans.

If Yorke had stayed with us, he would be held in the same regard as Matt Le Tissier by Southampton fans, and I have no doubt people would love him to be manager.

Contrast that with Gareth Southgate, he left because he saw the club had reached a plateau and weren't going anywhere, and he was right, but he made the questionable decision of gambling on Middlesborough being the next big thing. However, the way he played and behaved during the season when he was on the transfer list and wanted to leave, was incredible. I will always hold him in the highest regard. I'm not saying I want him as manager right now, I'm just saying that if he demonstrated his credentials then I would welcome him.

Edited by GeordieVillan
  • Like 1

The more I think about this the more I think a foreign manager is more likely to be used to, or at least willing to, work under the current structure.

Sherwood commented the other day that in terms of incoming players he put some names forward to the committee, they also put some names forward, as did the scouts and the committee then went away and decided which players to bring in. It suggested the manager did not even sit on that committee. For me that is not a structure a British manager is going to be happy to work under. Paul Lambert said the other week that some people making footballing decisions and deciding which players to bring in wouldn't even know what a football is blown up with. I don't know if he was talking from experience at Villa or if he was referring to what goes on at other clubs. He also commented that it has to be the manager that decides ultimately which players are purchased as it is ultimately his head on the block if things go wrong. I'd imagine a lot of British managers feel like that and you get the impression be it Alex Ferguson, David Moyes, Allardyce, Lambert, Pearson or Pulis these managers will listen to their scouts but want to be the ones deciding on player purchases. It seems that isn't the case now at Aston Villa.

I am not sure the structure we have in place now is one I like but for it to have a chance of working then you need everyone singing form the same hymn sheet and happy to work with in it. For me that now points to a foreign manager or maybe that should be rephrased to head coach.

At the moment everybody will claim somebody else brought those players to the club. Because up until now they have bombed. I don't believe any players were brought in against Sherwoods will. Sure he may have been more keen on others - but I don't believe players were imposed on him.

But why should he expect a job at a premier league club? I'm sure, if he really tried hard enough (rather than being comfortable with sitting on his arse and talking about football a few nights a week in a Sky studio) he'd get a job in football, 

Seeing as Yorkey has thrown his hat into the ring, I have decided to throw mine (in the schtyle of Nico Rosberg) and declare...

I WOULD LIKE THE JOB AS VILLA MANAGER

Shout 'Ethos' and 'Football Philosophy'  - say you like  to give youth a chance, and youll probably be 3rd favourite by 6pm........