New manager

KJT123

On the "our record with French players/mangers" thing, not only is it utterly irrelevant, Houllier was far from a disaster and Amavi looks a player. So yeah, I disagree on all counts!

Really ? - Houllier was pretty close to a disaster in my book. Mcallister and Darren Bent saved his ass from memory.

So his assistant manager and a player he signed, playing with his philosophy.

We came good before he got ill. He was still the boss even from his sick bed. We finished exactly where he predicted we would first season too.

I think we are both using a bit of conjecture there, we will never know how it might have panned out. Cabaye was coming that summer IIRC. Who knows I guess, but disaster he was not IMO.

• Like 4

For every success you can name a failure, such is the chop and change culture  of the league. 

Garde could be our Pochettino or our Pepe Mel. 

Who would have thought Pardew would be such a hit at Palace? 

You really do never know. 

We are crying out for a leader and a tactician, qualities that Tim sadly lacked. 

• Like 1

I'm probably in the minority here but I don't think Houllier is anywhere near as bad as is made out. He made a lot of mistakes and PR-wise he was shocking but it did feel as if he was finally turning things round towards the end before the health problems came up again. If he hadn't had those problems and had stayed on I think we'd be a in much much better position than we are right now. For me, the crucial moment was when we let Houllier go and brought in McLeish - that set in motion events from which I don't think we've properly recovered from. I accept that Houllier couldn't really stay on because of his heart problem though.

On the "our record with French players/mangers" thing, not only is it utterly irrelevant, Houllier was far from a disaster and Amavi looks a player. So yeah, I disagree on all counts!

Really ? - Houllier was pretty close to a disaster in my book. Mcallister and Darren Bent saved his ass from memory.

McAllister? We were virtually safe when he took over.

This is absolutely not the case. Houllier had tried to implement a different style of play with the players had been left by MON.

It had not been successful and had caused big splits in the squad. When Mcallister took over he reinstated the MON style 442 including putting Young back on the wing. It worked and with 2 games to go IIRC we secured safety. But it was only by implementing a system that the players were comfortable with. The last 2 wins of the season gave us a flattering league position.

I'm probably in the minority here but I don't think Houllier is anywhere near as bad as is made out. He made a lot of mistakes and PR-wise he was shocking but it did feel as if he was finally turning things round towards the end before the health problems came up again. If he hadn't had those problems and had stayed on I think we'd be a in much much better position than we are right now. For me, the crucial moment was when we let Houllier go and brought in McLeish - that set in motion events from which I don't think we've properly recovered from. I accept that Houllier couldn't really stay on because of his heart problem though.

This is absolutely not the case. Houllier had tried to implement a different style of play with the players had been left by MON.

It had not been successful and had caused big splits in the squad. When Mcallister took over he reinstated the MON style 442 including putting Young back on the wing. It worked and with 2 games to go IIRC we secured safety. But it was only by implementing a system that the players were comfortable with. The last 2 wins of the season gave us a flattering league position.

Actually, it was Houllier who changed style IIRC. While it's true that those final two wins bumped up our position, we were virtually safe after that victory at West Ham (which also happened to be Houllier's last game properly in charge).

It had not been successful and had caused big splits in the squad. When Mcallister took over he reinstated the MON style 442 including putting Young back on the wing. It worked and with 2 games to go IIRC we secured safety. 

The split that included a fight between a member of the coaching staff and Collins/Dunne. Robert Duverne. Who happens to be part of the 'Garde Team' coming in apparently.

Actually, it was Houllier who changed style IIRC. While it's true that those final two wins bumped up our position, we were virtually safe after that victory at West Ham (which also happened to be Houllier's last game properly in charge).

Houllier persisted with building from the back with the goalie rolling it out the Dunne & Collins who were not comfortable. He also kept playing Ashley Young as a number 10 it seemed almost as a bribe to get him stay even though he was far more effective on the wing. It seemed that once Houililer become ill GMac and the players decided that recalling NRC to the middle with Stan in a 442 would suit everyone a lot more.

Thats how I remember us limping over the line anyway, but I am getting old these day!

But back on topic - Garde - I know nothing about him but he's a good looking fella therefore get him in!

It had not been successful and had caused big splits in the squad. When Mcallister took over he reinstated the MON style 442 including putting Young back on the wing. It worked and with 2 games to go IIRC we secured safety. 

The split that included a fight between a member of the coaching staff and Collins/Dunne. Robert Duverne. Who happens to be part of the 'Garde Team' coming in apparently.

Yes I noticed that. Didn't Collins and Dunne attack Sid on a 'bonding retreat?' Another glorious day in our recent history.

Edited by TheAuthority
  • Like 1

Houllier persisted with building from the back with the goalie rolling it out the Dunne & Collins who were not comfortable. He also kept playing Ashley Young as a number 10 it seemed almost as a bribe to get him stay even though he was far more effective on the wing. It seemed that once Houililer become ill GMac and the players decided that recalling NRC to the middle with Stan in a 442 would suit everyone a lot more.

Thats how I remember us limping over the line anyway, but I am getting old these day!

But back on topic - Garde - I know nothing about him but he's a good looking fella therefore get him in!

Yeah but does he own a gilet?

absolutely no way will it be poyet. That man is poisonous. The way he acted at Sunderland and Brighton was disgraceful. The constant blaming of anyone but him, constructed swipes at the clubs board. rocket polisher of the highest order.

To be fair, that is a very decent and dignified statement, if he says nothing else then I don't think he deserves any abuse.

I Agree, just can't see him leaving it at that though. Bet he'll get stuff out in the press without being quoted directly so as not to breach any confidentiality agreement.