New manager

KJT123

As I understand, no club can prevent staff members moving on but they have to be bought out of their contracts. We are probably trying to reach a compromise but if it comes down to it, we'll probably cough up. The imperative that a manager has his team in place. 

This is my understanding of it. The only reason I can see them not coming here is if they don't want to.

• Like 2

Houllier had to contend with a serious injury crisis as well. Sometimes having to play the likes of Jonathon Hogg (sp) and Clark as a midfield duo.

And to be perfectly fair, Hogg was fine -- not exceptional, but not terrible. I remember him being a decent, tidy player. He was never going to pull up trees, but was able to effectively move the ball to the players who could. 

• Like 1

The Guardian

Aston Villa's move for Remi Garde under threat

Garde has held talks with Villa and wants to appoint his own backroom staff, but his favoured personnel are struggling to leave their current positions

Aston Villa’s bid to appoint Remi Garde is under threat after hitting a stumbling block over backroom staff.

Garde has held further talks with Villa today and is keen to bring his former assistants Gerald Baticle and Robert Duverne with him to the Midlands.

Baticle and Duverne both worked with Garde at Lyon and are seen as priority appointments if the Frenchman is to take the position at the Premier League’s bottom club.

But Lyon are refusing to allow Baticle to leave while Duverne, who now works at Metz, is also understood to be struggling to agree his exit.

Garde is Villa’s preferred candidate to replace Tim Sherwood, who was sacked on Sunday, but sources in France claim the deal is now hanging in the balance.

Villa could now pursue other targets as they attempt to make an appointment before next Monday’s trip to Tottenham Hotspur.

Kevin MacDonald will take the team for the Capital One Cup tie at Southampton on Wednesday night.

Robert Duverne was a coach at Villa under Houllier and was supposedly at the centre of the row involving Dunne and Collins.  

The Guardian

Aston Villa's move for Remi Garde under threat

Garde has held talks with Villa and wants to appoint his own backroom staff, but his favoured personnel are struggling to leave their current positions

Aston Villa’s bid to appoint Remi Garde is under threat after hitting a stumbling block over backroom staff.

Garde has held further talks with Villa today and is keen to bring his former assistants Gerald Baticle and Robert Duverne with him to the Midlands.

Baticle and Duverne both worked with Garde at Lyon and are seen as priority appointments if the Frenchman is to take the position at the Premier League’s bottom club.

But Lyon are refusing to allow Baticle to leave while Duverne, who now works at Metz, is also understood to be struggling to agree his exit.

Garde is Villa’s preferred candidate to replace Tim Sherwood, who was sacked on Sunday, but sources in France claim the deal is now hanging in the balance.

Villa could now pursue other targets as they attempt to make an appointment before next Monday’s trip to Tottenham Hotspur.

Kevin MacDonald will take the team for the Capital One Cup tie at Southampton on Wednesday night.

Won't be a problem. Never is. If we want him enough we might have to chuck a million at it.

Hedging their bets.

• Like 1

ssn reporting garde wont come without bAckroom staff but lyon not allowing, pete colley thinks its on verge of collapse FFS!!

I swear Pete Colley never reports any good news. Not saying he's making anything up by the way but it just seems like if it's good news then it's someone else but if it's bad news it's always him...

ssn reporting garde wont come without bAckroom staff but lyon not allowing, pete colley thinks its on verge of collapse FFS!!

...is exactly the reaction Sky want you to have. Relax. The media won't be privy to talks between Villa and Garde let alone between the two guys and their teams they're negotiating a release from. If we have to cough up we will unless there's a better option available.

• Like 2

Since we aren't having to pay compensation for Garde, and I doubt the coaching staff at Lyon earn as much as most premiership staff, surely buying out there contacts would work out cheaper than most other options. If we mess this up on this over the money we don't deserve getting anyone good.  My main worry would be if the coaching staff don't want to come.

• Like 1

It's classic no new news so the rags make up some garbage to sell papers until its confirmed or there is some actual news to report on.

See amavi, veretout, and pretty much every other signing we made this summer.

These things take time just look at klopp and Liverpool, and that was clearly lined up before Rogers was sacked.

It is a total non-story as DDID said. They abolished slavery a long time ago, so no employer can ever make you work for them... Might be due some compensation from us, but it wouldn't be the first time that's happened and it won't be the last.

EDIT: isn't it funny how when you're told something might not happen, you want it more than ever? I'm all for Garde, but I know virtually nothing about him, but if it's being 'de-railed' then I really want it to happen! Might be just me.

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 1

This nonsense about his appointment being under threat due to not being able to get his backroom team? It's just spin designed to keep the betting markets alive, it's all about making money. Funny how the French media aren't reporting it.

• Like 1