New manager

KJT123

Because he coached at Lyon from 2003 then took assistant managers job under houllier, after that he became their head of youth development before taking Lyon job in 2011 and eventually left in 2014.

7 years an assistant too. 3 as head coach.

Because he only went into management 4 years ago...

Thanks, I can use wiki too. The question is why? Why didn't he go into management 5 years earlier? 

I'm not against the appointment but he not only has no PL experience, he has little experience at all. 

Whether he's a good appointment or not, this 'lacking experience' argument is a bit silly. He spent ten years as part of a management team before becoming a manager. Unless he was located off-site, with his eyes and ears taped shut, I'm sure he learned plenty about managing a team by being there. Seriously, would you consider assistant managers to have no management experience in any other walk of life?

No but this is football. assistant managers don't generally go on to do well at the top job. A whole host of fergies assistants have failed. Anyway, hes managed for 3 seasons at a club he knew inside out. Its your call if you think that makes him a good bet to pull Aston Villa out of free-fall. 

Did you read my comment? You seem to be replying to a number of points I just didn't make. I didn't say a] that Garde would be a success or 'a good bet', or b] that assistant managers generally go on to successful management careers (it would be a surprise if they did, given almost all managerial careers end in failure anyway). The extent of my comment was 'he has plenty of management experience'. 

Firstly - I'd have been happy with a premiership survival manager, grinding us out enough draws to get to 17th this season. But Allardyce, Pulis and it seems Moyes are unavailable,  After that it's a pretty dire choice of those have have premiership experience.

That said, given our awful position, it's going to take something pretty special to survive and I'd rather take the gamble play some enjoyable football and see where it gets us.  Imagine watching the rest of the season with none of the 'flair' players risked only to go down anyway.

I'm sure that any incoming manager will have watched our games so far and seen that but for individual mistakes (that could easily attributed to unfamiliar team set up and lack of consistent selection) and bonkers substitutions we could easily be in a safer position.  The league is crap this year - every other team has got unexpected results - and were I a manager I would be confident that I would have got us more points so far in the games we've played.  It's going to be very tough, but I really don't think we're far from getting it together with a decent tactician at the helm, in very much the position Leicester were last year.  Points were not a reflection of their talent as a team and I don't think ours are.

Bring in Garde, play with consistency and direction and I think we might yet be safe.  And even if not lets at least enjoy the ride.

Unfortunately, given the mess we are in, draws are no good to us now. A point a game until the end of the season will still see us down. We somehow have to start winning & IMO, need 9 or probably 10 wins between now and the end of the season. Not sure we'll get them with this strike force.

'windbag'

You literally know nothing about Garde and you're writing him off as a windbag already.

Shockingly stupid.

Just offering my opinion that he will fail. If you think he's  the man then fine. 

Garde is a perfect fit IMO for Villa. I cannot remember the last time we had an intelligent and tactically astute manager. He had been touted as Wengers eventual replacement and was loved at Lyon where they considered him to be their equivalent of Pep Guardiola. If he joins us, he as much chance of saving us as anyone. OK he may not be able to avoid relegation (I am not certain if anyone could) but I am confident that this guy could help Villa rise from the ashes.  For too long with notable exceptions over 20 years ago, we have "made do" with managers who either had no pedigree, maybe a good couple of seasons elsewhere or in Sherwoods case 25% of a season. We have undoubtedly had our moments with managers but a looking back to Graham Taylor first time round it shows that we have got progressively worse in picking managers

Sherwood - was probably the most tactically inept manager we ever had but sounded good and talked himself into the job.

Lambert - he did well at Norwich in the Champsionship but was he ever cut out to be a PL manager at a club that was in dire financial straits? His constant reference to "the project" illustrated that he role first and foremost was to cut the wage bill and make do with lower league players. From time to time he had good spells albeit very brief, but as we got deeper into trouble his tactics were all over the place.

McLeish - like everyone else I could never fathom why we went anywhere near him. Probably the most boring and negative manager we ever had. He did nothing at sha and managed to get them relegated - his reward? The managers job at Villa - incredible! 

MON - I will not deny that I was excited by his appointment and for a while it looked like we were going somewhere. But then it started to unravel as he loaded us with journeymen on high wages, had no depth in the squad and injuries took their toll. He was reputed to be a good man manager and had flashes of inspiration but tactics were not his strength and his legacy left us in a mess. He didn't build for the future and when the money ran out he ran away leaving us with lots of overpaid players.

O'Leary - All mouth and no trousers - he was never going to make it as a PL manager and was another one whose profile got him into the job. An egotist in the extreme he thought his career at Arsenal made him natural management material. He hadn't got a clue. 

Graham Taylor (2nd time round) - his appointment was an act of desperation by Ellis - second time round he had lost the plot. 

John Gregory - another manager that I liked as a person, Villa through and through. But his football was dour and relationship with Ellis meant it was never going to end well. Signed some good players and had he been able to get another couple I think his reign would have been longer. His biggest mistake was undervaluing and not signing Robbie Keane.

Brian Little - loved Brian as a player - one of my few real heroes. IMO he had the makings of a great Villa manager. When he joined he saved us from relegation and start to build a new squad that did extremely well achieving our two highest finishes in the PL in the last 20 years - 4th/5th while also winning the League Cup. But his big mistake was buying Collymore who in turn let him down badly. No idea why he left but think Collymores signing was his undoing and that Ellis was to blame in someway. 

Ron Atkinson - Big personality that managed to put together a hard working team with tremendous spirit that came second to Man United in the first season of the PL. But for the seven minutes extra time that Man United were given at Sheffield Wednesday he may have well won the PL for us. How different might things have then panned out for the future of our club. However  his ageing squad and relationship with Ellis meant it was never going to end well.

Joe Venglos - Our first "foreign" manager. Joe arrived after formerly managing Czechoslovakia to the quarter finals of the World Cup. A weird appointment by Ellis, Joe never managed to get us going and we finished two positions off the relegation zone. And he was off

Graham Taylor - First time round he was a great manager. In his first season he helped us get back into division one, struggled as he rebuilt in his second but in his third almost won Division one finishing second to Liverpool after often leading the league playing great football. Then England came calling and he was off. 

In my opinion, we have had enough of dross managers and need someone who is intelligent and can change our clubs direction - Garde if he joins us could be the one to it. Moyes, Rogers, Pearson and many of the others named offer nothing for the future beyond surviving as a second rate PL team. 

That Atkinson team was more than hard-working. It had an enormous amount of ability in it. Best football I've ever seen us play. We needed a cash injection to push on and Ellis wavered.

Yep. I was aged 8 to 11 when that team was around and it was the most beautiful football I have ever seen from us!

• Like 1

'windbag'

You literally know nothing about Garde and you're writing him off as a windbag already.

Shockingly stupid.

Just offering my opinion that he will fail. If you think he's  the man then fine. 

Sure he is no Tony Pulis or Fat Sam :rolleyes:

Gus Poyet now in the frame and under consideration according to Sky Sports News.

Oh yeah because he has a great record. Surely not!

This is Sky wanting people to throw money at Skybet. Have the odds lengthened on Garde with the emergence of Poyet? I suspect not, its just garbage to sucker people in.

Garde is not the man that can save us from relegation. People are excited because he is a foreign manager that sounds exciting. Because he is a good french Ligue 1 manager does not necessarily make him a right fit for the club. What players would he bring in January? we need Premier League Experience. Our problem is that we are an easy team to beat because the squad are mentally weak, we need a manager that can make us a difficult team to play against, and give us that ruthlessness home and away.

David Moyes is the man to that, we need to get the basics done and start getting clean sheets, we can score goals but we cannot defend. I hope that this pure speculation and that David Moyes is being lined up as our new manager. 

I doubt if Moyes will be leaving Sociadad until the end of this season at the earliest and he certainly wouldn't be leaving them to join us.

A couple of Twitter rumours that Garde has turned us down.

If you are talking about this:

Hearing from a reliable source (@xxxxxxxx) that Remi Garde has turned down the Villa job #avfc

It's a big Twitter joke.

Oh good.  I just thought it was funny how I read it straight after the Poyet link was announced.

• Like 1

A couple of Twitter rumours that Garde has turned us down.

If you are talking about this:

Hearing from a reliable source (@xxxxxxxx) that Remi Garde has turned down the Villa job #avfc

It's a big Twitter joke.

Oh good.  I just thought it was funny how I read it straight after the Poyet link was announced.

People do it for big stories and then link their mate / enemy as a source so they get questions from random people.

'windbag'

Shockingly stupid.

I have no idea if 'he's the man'

I'm just not writing him off as a windbag before he's even got the job.

Oh, Poyet has PL experience. Get him in!!11!!