Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

13 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

People keep saying we needed to spend more than £50m last summer . . . well in my opinion, Newcastle's squad was even worse. They might have spent a lot, but they had a lot of catching up to do. Think that excuse has probably run its course as of the end of this window though. 

Imo the only thing missing as it turned out was a replacement for Benteke which we could of got for between £10m - £15m on top of what we spent.  I'm not saying that all our other signing were great and filled in important holes in the squad but Remi has shown we have the makings of a solid team when we have the right players on the pitch and have been unlucky and let down by terrible finishing in a number of games by our strikers especially Gestede. If we had of got Adebayor and he was on double figures by now we would be in with a good chance of staying up I reckon.

I know I'm stating the obvious there but how did we not make sure we got a proven striker when we had the money, it's mental.

Edited by Bunnski
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bunnski said:

Imo the only thing missing as it turned out was a replacement for Benteke which we could of got for between £10m - £15m on top of what we spent.  I'm not saying that all our other signing were great and filled in important holes in the squad but Remi has shown we have the makings of a solid team when we have the right players on the pitch and have been unlucky and let down by terrible finishing in a number of games by our strikers especially Gestede. If we had of got Adebayor and he was on double figures by now we would be in with a good chance of staying up I reckon.

I know I'm stating the obvious there but how did we not make sure we got a proven striker when we had the money, it's mental.

I think even if we had kept benteke and still bought all those other players, we would still be bottom. 

Our major areas of weakness were...goalkeeper, central defence,central midfield and full backs.

I would argue that he weakened the goalkeeping situation, & defence & possibly central mid aswell

1 hour ago, handsworthvilla said:

Contracts for Seydou Doumbia were submitted to the FA yesterday morning. Assuming no work permit issues this will be confirmed shortly. Managed to get it at 3/1 shortly after I had confirmation, bet victor took down the market today though :( Should be a decent signing for us, I always remember him being great on Fifa and his record at CSKA was very decent. 

Can they double check his birth certificate as he does not look like he is 28 years old.

5 hours ago, RimmyJimmer said:

On your view about spending money....

If the premiere league was a table made up of clubs transfer spend since randy lerner took over we would be top ten, very possibly 6 th ( without researching it)

Net spend of 9 million in the summer yes.....

BUT WE STILL SPENT OVER 50 MILLION POUNDS.

If benteke & delph would have left for nothing and we had spent 9 million quid we would still be bottom because you can't get any lower.

Now that says to me....its not about how much you spend, it's how you spend it,  and more importantly who you trust to spend it.

I'm sure if mr sherwood was still here we would have sign a raft of players this window...and we would all be getting excited (see summer 2015) until realisation kicks in and they're all shi ite.

I don't know whether remi is going to be good for us or not...but i like him and he sounds like he knows what he is doing, so we have to go with it. He is our only chance to sort things out at the moment. He is not the sort of guy to buy players for the sake of it...nor to placate fans

I honestly didn't think fans like yourself still existed. I genuinely believed we'd all realised the bullshit spin coming from the club in recent times. Not only have you been sucked in by it, you're happy to tell others they're wrong and are conspiracy theorists. Amazing. 

• Like 1

It's a difficult sell though isn't it if you take you claret and blue tinted glasses off?

'Come join the worst side in the league by 10 points. We are probably going down, we have a owner that doesn't care anymore and doesn't want to spend much, a clueless chief executive, and the manager has less than 4 months experience in England. Please sign here.'

You will have to be desperate to get some matches if you want to join us at the moment. We are car crash club.

7 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I honestly didn't think fans like yourself still existed. I genuinely believed we'd all realised the bullshit spin coming from the club in recent times. Not only have you been sucked in by it, you're happy to tell others they're wrong and are conspiracy theorists. Amazing. 

And tell me what bullshit spin ive been sucked in with please :o

If this 'Seydou Doumbia' is who we are looking at doesn't this seem a waste of time seeing as The African cup of nations runs from 16th Jan-7th Feb? Going to need someone to be here and not away for a few weeks like an injured striker. Just a thought

I think people thinking that a failure to spend now harms our chances of staying up or that we should spend to stay up are missing the point. I actually don't have a problem with the club not throwing money at the battle against the drop, that would be a waste and actually it's one of the things that makes me think Debuchy would be an utterly wasteful signing.

my issue , and why the club should be spending is that it should be about preparing for next season and beyond . Getting players in now to settle and have a b tee chance of them hitting the ground running next season and be motivated to get back to the premier league after having a small taste of it now.

• Like 2