Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

16 minutes ago, RimmyJimmer said:

I think there are a few signings we could have made with a lot less than £50m that would have improved the team no end. 

Afobe 

Kone

Shelvey

Naismith

Townsend

As I said above, the teams sitting in 16th, 17th, 18th, and 19th have not encountered any problems signing players so the idea we are being impeded by our league position is simply not the case IMO. We are being impeded by an incompetent board.  

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Continued to back managers? Like when we signed Dawkins and Grant Holt? When we had a net spend of around £9 million in the summer? With the wages lambert had to offer? 

It's quite clear Garde has not got anything to play with this window. Our situation makes it near impossible to sign decent players. But I don't for one second believe Garde has the resources to try.

On your view about spending money....

If the premiere league was a table made up of clubs transfer spend since randy lerner took over we would be top ten, very possibly 6 th ( without researching it)

Net spend of 9 million in the summer yes.....

BUT WE STILL SPENT OVER 50 MILLION POUNDS.

If benteke & delph would have left for nothing and we had spent 9 million quid we would still be bottom because you can't get any lower.

Now that says to me....its not about how much you spend, it's how you spend it,  and more importantly who you trust to spend it.

I'm sure if mr sherwood was still here we would have sign a raft of players this window...and we would all be getting excited (see summer 2015) until realisation kicks in and they're all shi ite.

I don't know whether remi is going to be good for us or not...but i like him and he sounds like he knows what he is doing, so we have to go with it. He is our only chance to sort things out at the moment. He is not the sort of guy to buy players for the sake of it...nor to placate fans

It's amazing doing something that isn't depressing on a Saturday, isn't it? I took the dog out before the game: schoolboy error.

It certainly makes a difference not spending a Saturday night pissed off yet again.

Gave up last week after the Baggies game and have vowed not to watch another game until the club is stripped bare and all the crap is kicked into touch.

Dogs loved there walk so will go for another Saturday walk at pm [emoji6]

7 minutes ago, Dorset77Villa said:

Remi has said he hopes to bring in a Striker before Monday but who is left on the list?

I can't think of one name that will come while we are in this situation.

It sums up AVFC when Debuchy won't even come on loan for 6 months when he's guaranteed first team football

Where's he said this?

13 minutes ago, RimmyJimmer said:

On your view about spending money....

If the premiere league was a table made up of clubs transfer spend since randy lerner took over we would be top ten, very possibly 6 th ( without researching it)

Net spend of 9 million in the summer yes.....

BUT WE STILL SPENT OVER 50 MILLION POUNDS.

If benteke & delph would have left for nothing and we had spent 9 million quid we would still be bottom because you can't get any lower.

Now that says to me....its not about how much you spend, it's how you spend it,  and more importantly who you trust to spend it.

I'm sure if mr sherwood was still here we would have sign a raft of players this window...and we would all be getting excited (see summer 2015) until realisation kicks in and they're all shi ite.

I don't know whether remi is going to be good for us or not...but i like him and he sounds like he knows what he is doing, so we have to go with it. He is our only chance to sort things out at the moment. He is not the sort of guy to buy players for the sake of it...nor to placate fans

£50M really isn't that much when you have to pretty much buy an entire side, we needed to spend far more.

19 minutes ago, av1 said:

I think there are a few signings we could have made with a lot less than £50m that would have improved the team no end. 

Afobe 

Kone

Shelvey

Naismith

Townsend

As I said above, the teams sitting in 16th, 17th, 18th, and 19th have not encountered any problems signing players so the idea we are being impeded by our league position is simply not the case IMO. We are being impeded by an incompetent board.  

So the teams sitting in 16th 17th 18th & 19th haven't had problems signing players so why should we?? 

Afobe's agent....it's been your boyhood dream to play in the premiere league and Bournemouth & villa are after you. Villa have offered more but they're 10 points adrift at the bottom of the league...so you will probably be back in the championship next year on less money.

Shelveys agent...you're desperate to leave swansea and newcastle & villa want you...villa have offered more but they're 10 points adrift at the bottom so it looks like you would be on less money next year in a lesser league.

Naismiths agent....norwich & villa are in for you...villa have offered more but they're 10 points adrift at the bottom so it looks like you would be on less money next year in a lesser league.

Townsends agent....you get my drift?

Even if we were offering these type of players more money they ain't coming to a team 20th in the league 10 points adrift....so yes, the idea we are being impeded by our league position is about as obvious as phil thompsons nose.

Imo of course 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, RimmyJimmer said:

This part of your argument irritates me (nothing personal) but it just feels like some of the spin than comes out of Villa, some fans fall for and don't actually look at the reality of the situation.

Without looking at the actual figures, even if we do say that's the case then it's still twisting a statistic to suit the PR spin. If I buy a house for £250,000 but then spend nothing for the next 25 years on it I can hardly argue that it's still in good condition and argue it's had the money spent on it so it's worth more than the house down the road that only cost £100k. Randy spent a lot at the start (badly) but you can't cut all spending on ANY business and expect to even stand still so it might average out ok, but is too uneven a spend to be used to argue the money has been spent.

The same argument can be made focusing on this season. You have to spend a lot to replace stars, if they've left an already poor team you need to spend that and more so arguing £50m is enough is only relevant based on what you're replacing. £50m is a lot to improve a team, but to repair a gutted team it's nothing. There was so much to replace and try and improve that we needed to spend at least another £10-15m to progress. Who can argue a striker wouldn't have made a world of difference to our season?

Put it this way, if we were to spend £20m this summer I'd be very happy because there is less to 'do'. £50m was not enough to do what was needed last summer.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, RimmyJimmer said:

So the teams sitting in 16th 17th 18th & 19th haven't had problems signing players so why should we?? 

Afobe's agent....it's been your boyhood dream to play in the premiere league and Bournemouth & villa are after you. Villa have offered more but they're 10 points adrift at the bottom of the league...so you will probably be back in the championship next year on less money.

Shelveys agent...you're desperate to leave swansea and newcastle & villa want you...villa have offered more but they're 10 points adrift at the bottom so it looks like you would be on less money next year in a lesser league.

Naismiths agent....norwich & villa are in for you...villa have offered more but they're 10 points adrift at the bottom so it looks like you would be on less money next year in a lesser league.

Townsends agent....you get my drift?

Even if we were offering these type of players more money they ain't coming to a team 20th in the league 10 points adrift....so yes, the idea we are being impeded by our league position is about as obvious as phil thompsons nose.

Imo of course 

Well obviously if a team higher up the table makes a rival bid the player will more than likely choose them, this isn't a problem specific to teams routed to the bottom of the table. I'm sure if West Ham would went in for Shelvey he would have gone there instead etc.

Point is not every realistic option for us in the world is going to have other premier league teams chasing them. I'm sure being bottom of table has made us a less attractive destination, I doubt many would argue the opposite, but is it an excuse for signing absolutely nobody? Not a chance.

1 minute ago, jackbauer24 said:

This part of your argument irritates me (nothing personal) but it just feels like some of the spin than comes out of Villa, some fans fall for and don't actually look at the reality of the situation.

Without looking at the actual figures, even if we do say that's the case then it's still twisting a statistic to suit the PR spin. If I buy a house for £250,000 but then spend nothing for the next 25 years on it I can hardly argue that it's still in good condition and argue it's had the money spent on it so it's worth more than the house down the road that only cost £100k. Randy spent a lot at the start (badly) but you can't cut all spending on ANY business and expect to even stand still so it might average out ok, but is too uneven a spend to be used to argue the money has been spent.

The same argument can be made focusing on this season. You have to spend a lot to replace stars, if they've left an already poor team you need to spend that and more so arguing £50m is enough is only relevant based on what you're replacing. £50m is a lot to improve a team, but to repair a gutted team it's nothing. There was so much to replace and try and improve that we needed to spend at least another £10-15m to progress. Who can argue a striker wouldn't have made a world of difference to our season?

Put it this way, if we were to spend £20m this summer I'd be very happy because there is less to 'do'. £50m was not enough to do what was needed last summer.

My point was about the relevance/importance of money spent, either net or gross, and success of the team. I agree that at times, with more money spent, we 'may' have improved.

The important thing is how/who spends it. 

I think mon would have got us to where we got with less money.

I think 50 million given to a decent manager in the summer would have been enough to keep us in this league.

Throughout all these scenario's, randy has stumped up the cash...sometimes too much....sometimes to little....his major failure has been poor choice of people to work for him.

Do you think another 20million spent on a striker in the summer would have made our defence less shi ite?

And I'd argue a 'free' adebeyor would have added to our woes.

This situation has been a long time coming through a succesion of poor decisions more so than lack of backing/investment.

12 minutes ago, penguin said:

Well obviously if a team higher up the table makes a rival bid the player will more than likely choose them, this isn't a problem specific to teams routed to the bottom of the table. I'm sure if West Ham would went in for Shelvey he would have gone there instead etc.

Point is not every realistic option for us in the world is going to have other premier league teams chasing them. I'm sure being bottom of table has made us a less attractive destination, I doubt many would argue the opposite, but is it an excuse for signing absolutely nobody? Not a chance.

It's not an excuse...its fact. So you think we just need to sign 'someone'?

43 minutes ago, useless said:

Taking my rose tinted glasses off, even though I don't have a pair. I'd rather play for Villa in the championship for one season.

Unfortunately for us  well be playing in the championship for more than one season, i also believe we will have a spell in league one, and most of the current squad will be replaced within 18 months,by believe it or not, worse players than we have now as the cost cutting continues.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 1974Centenary said:

Unfortunately for us  well be playing in the championship for more than one season, i also believe we will have a spell in league one, and most of the current squad will be replaced within 18 months,by believe it or not, worse players than we have now as the cost cutting continues.

Keep this post bookmarked it is going to prove to be very accurate Imo . Club is as good as dead as a credible football team