Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

47 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

I'd imagine Vidic realises he is done and wants one last pay day. MLS or the Middle to Far East is calling.

Yeah, it's pretty unusual for players to get their contract terminated mid-season if they're staying in Europe.  I suspect he will end up in the MLS.

8 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Yeah, it's pretty unusual for players to get their contract terminated mid-season if they're staying in Europe.  I suspect he will end up in the MLS.

Don't Inter play a deep defensive line? If Vidic cannot work in that system than his legs being gone might not be the issue.

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

My concern with Vidic is that be another Ronny Johnson who was past it when we signed him. lescott another example

Always thought Ronny Johnsen was good for us and we would have probably finished 4th that season if O'Leary didnt drop him for Ridgewell near the end of the season or sack Alpay

• Like 1

it feels like we are back to the classic Lambert windows of no or virtually no signings (whilst bleating on before and after how he was trying to sign players)

or the David O'Leary final years where we had to send loan players back because we wouldn't pay their wages anymore

all be it this time no-one wants to join a club that is virtually guaranteed relegation

Taking Sanchez off... Completely mental.

Sanchez came off at Palace at 0-0 for Traore when we went for a win, played the 90 vs Leicester

Ah yes. Sorry, so many mental decisions it's hard to remember which one was made when.

I certainly remember giving up the midfield against Leicester. Was it Gil for Ayew? We ended up with Sanchez and Westwood through the middle and they just cut through us IIRC. It was the first time I thought "oh ****, this guy is a clown".

We had been playing ok before that. Battered Sunderland for 90 minutes (individual errors again costing us).

That was the beginning of the end.

1 hour ago, pacbuddies said:

Remember Petrov came from Celtic. He was great up there but took quite a while to settle in the PL. The Scottish Premiership is a p*ss poor standard by comparison with Celtic being the only horse in a one horse race.

but so was Ki and he has done OK ;) 

Scottish Premier makes it more difficult to spot quality because it's easier to BE quality up there.  Doesn't mean it's not there though.  There are plenty of examples.  Southampton haven't done badly plundering that league recently with the likes of van Dijk & Wanyama making the transition quite easily.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

I see that Newcastle,Norwich and Bournemouth have already spent on one player more $$$ than our total budget.

Have they got a player on a time share then ?

How do you know what our budget is ?

Warren Horton just said on Talksport that he had talked to either Vidic or his agent (sorry did not quite catch which) and asked whether he would be moving to us. The answer was "No". Looks like he will retire to the MLS? 

Edited by John
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, av1 said:

I agree that the French players have been our better players, by some distance actually. But given that they took a few months to settle, its also fair (I think) to say they were probably the wrong signings at the time. 

Or, to put it another way, that they were the right signings at the wrong time. :)

The wrong signings were the rest of the squad who were not good enough while the young foreign players got up to speed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SeanO said:

No Steve that wasn't my meaning, I don't think Lerner is actively saying no signings but he controls the finances and so far all we have is a few rumours about a keeper.

This team needs strengthen with good player's which will cost money that he is seemingly unwilling to sanction.

Randy Lerner is possibly the worst thing to ever happen to Aston Villa imo.

Second worst after Ellis. In my opinion.

• Like 2