Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

Tbf Remi has settled the defence down...we looked a half decent unit at long last and only conceding 1 goal for most games which gives us a basis for getting points. Things can always be improved of course e.g better keeper, RB etc and they may come this window.

The biggest priority has to be upfront surely. I'm a bit bemused why all the striker links have dried up. If the club claim they're serious about staying up we need to desperately get a new forward in as the options apart from Ayew ain't good enough and that has been the case since the summer.

• Like 1

Just now, VillaChris said:

Tbf Remi has settled the defence down...we looked a half decent unit at long last and only conceding 1 goal for most games which gives us a basis for getting points. Things can always be improved of course e.g better keeper, RB etc and they may come this window.

The biggest priority has to be upfront surely. I'm a bit bemused why all the striker links have dried up. If the club claim they're serious about staying up we need to desperately get a new forward in as the options apart from Ayew ain't good enough and that has been the case since the summer.

Do you think Vidic would have switched off like Lescott did last Saturday? 

I don't think the links really matter. Striker is a priority yes, but as we have discussed many a time, it doesn't matter what order things happen in. Some deals are simply easier than others I guess, we're not the only club looking for a striker this January. 

24 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Honestly, even if Vidic's legs have only half gone, I can't think of a better signing for us. Best centre half in the world in his prime. A leader, a winner, vocal, relentless, a dirty bastard.

If he's fit, yes please. 

I agree. We always complain we lack leaders who are vocal. He would be awesome for the team. Okore and Vidic with Richards at RB. Good as its going to get for us considering where we are. 

Vidic on a 5-6 month deal, 100,000 per week only works out at a little over 2 million. Option to stay if we manage to stay up or he shows that he can still do it in the PL and heads elsewhere in the summer for a better deal.

Would seem to make sense for both parties and he can maybe even teach Richards where he should actually be on the pitch at all times when playing right back.

Everyone says his legs have gone but there are some things you just do not lose and he was one of the best defenders in the world a couple of years ago. He is also 10 months younger than John Terry and he seems to have managed well enough over the past year or so.

Hell even if he didn't play a single game i would argue that giving him a couple of million to come & train with the team & youth players every day for the rest of the season would be worth the money

Edited by LakotaDakota

I'd take him, although I haven't seen him play since he left United.

Can't hurt on a short term deal though if we're struggling to get any other CBs in.

I'd rather have a 34 year old Vidic than Ciaran Clark.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Pondering the Benteke situation at Liverpool ,now I know Sherwood didn't get a lot  of things right , but I remember distinctly him asking why Benteke would want to go there when they don't even cross the ball ,

Kind of brings a tear to the eye .

managerial mismanagement at its finest. not been done since we bought Bent and took away his service

I'd chop your arm off for a Vidic who's lost his legs, as long as it isn't to the extent of his pal Rio Ferdinand's at the end of his career :D . Then again, he always used to struggle against pace even in his prime (Gabby says hoi!) so maybe that's not such a good idea.

No idea why my above post is quoting Arj but the only way I could get rid of it was to post it????

Anyway, it's the 21st and not 1 new player has signed, even on loan.

Hollis must think he's a miracle worker, I'd love to read his CI project for this.

With every day that passes by I dislike Randy Lerner more and more. 

Love Villa hate Lerner.

Surely the only fans who want Villa to thrown tens of millions at mercenaries in blind panic are Blues and Albion ones.

The disdain at the lack of activity is mind boggling to me.

We have to accept that there isn't a queue out of the North Stand gates to sign for us at the moment.

If our best realistic hope is to be relegated with a bit of dignity then we can do with the players we have (based on the last few games). And that won't be Randy 'not wanting to spend' but it will be the board realising that the money may be better spent in the summer...

I know it's a bit 'out there' but could we make a few sensible signings? If our league position towards the end of Jan looks a bit more promising then re evaluate?

44 minutes ago, SeanO said:

No idea why my above post is quoting Arj but the only way I could get rid of it was to post it????

Anyway, it's the 21st and not 1 new player has signed, even on loan.

Hollis must think he's a miracle worker, I'd love to read his CI project for this.

With every day that passes by I dislike Randy Lerner more and more. 

Love Villa hate Lerner.

I can't imagine any lack of signing so far has much to do with lerner this time around.