Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

Us signing Vidic would be basically the same as QPR signing Ferdinand. Great, world class players in their day, now old and past it and probably with a choice of retire now or grab an extra 6 months of £100k a week then retire. Big name to calm the fanbase a bit until we realise be hasn't got it anymore.

I'd love to be wrong, Vidic in his prime was immense, I just see too many parallels

• Like 4

9 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Honestly, even if Vidic's legs have only half gone, I can't think of a better signing for us. Best centre half in the world in his prime. A leader, a winner, vocal, relentless, a dirty bastard.

If he's fit, yes please. 

He has only played once of twice this season due to injury.  We do not need him taking his wages out of the club like Sendoros

No idea why my above post is quoting Arj but the only way I could get rid of it was to post it????

Anyway, it's the 21st and not 1 new player has signed, even on loan.

Hollis must think he's a miracle worker, I'd love to read his CI project for this.

With every day that passes by I dislike Randy Lerner more and more. 

Love Villa hate Lerner.

I can't imagine any lack of signing so far has much to do with lerner this time around.

Well one of the two envisioned scenarios incriminates him.

1. Nobody wants to join in our predicament

2. The board have given up and accepted relegation

7 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Well one of the two envisioned scenarios incriminates him.

1. Nobody wants to join in our predicament

2. The board have given up and accepted relegation

1. Of course that's ultimately his fault. What I meant is he's not actuvely stopping us signing anyone this window. The whole mess is his fault.

2. I don't think that would mean we wouldn't sign anyone, just that the budget is different. I think our lack of signigns is due to us being bottom of the league and cut adrift.

Yes that's ultimately lerner's fault, but I inferred from Sean's post that he meant lerner was sat there telling us we couldn't sign anyone, when I don't imagine he's had any input into the decision this time around except for budget.

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

The damage was done in the summer.

I don't blame the board for not splashing out and gambling with big wages in January, it could cripple the club even more.

We're a very poor side who will get relegated.

Sad thing is a lot of the players bought in the summer have been our best players this season. 

4 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Sad thing is a lot of the players bought in the summer have been our best players this season. 

We just needed to spend a little more. Just 20m on a keeper, striker and right back. Oh and a manager would have been nice too. I think the Leicester game destroyed us.

• Like 3

Honestly, even if Vidic's legs have only half gone, I can't think of a better signing for us. Best centre half in the world in his prime. A leader, a winner, vocal, relentless, a dirty bastard.

If he's fit, yes please. 

He has only played once of twice this season due to injury.  We do not need him taking his wages out of the club like Sendoros

You're comparing one of the best defenders of the last 20 years to Philip Senderos.

Though I agree with the sentiment, we need to make sure he's actually able to play football.

5 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I agree that the French players have been our better players, by some distance actually. But given that they took a few months to settle, its also fair (I think) to say they were probably the wrong signings at the time. 

We just needed to spend a little more. Just 20m on a keeper, striker and right back. Oh and a manager would have been nice too. I think the Leicester game destroyed us.

Taking Sanchez off... Completely mental.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, weedman said:

Us signing Vidic would be basically the same as QPR signing Ferdinand. Great, world class players in their day, now old and past it and probably with a choice of retire now or grab an extra 6 months of £100k a week then retire. Big name to calm the fanbase a bit until we realise be hasn't got it anymore.

I'd love to be wrong, Vidic in his prime was immense, I just see too many parallels

What are the parallels though?

That they're both old? Rio was a couple of years older than Vidic when he signed for QPR. That's a lot at that age.

I don't really see any parallels. Plenty of older players go to clubs and can still do a job. Some don't.

I don't think you can conclude that Vidic wouldn't work out just because Rio didn't work out. I could quite easily point to Cambiasso going to Leicester at the age of 34 and doing very well for them.

3 minutes ago, av1 said:

I agree that the French players have been our better players, by some distance actually. But given that they took a few months to settle, its also fair (I think) to say they were probably the wrong signings at the time. 

This.

It would have been a very good window if we had a solid team to build on. but we didn't.

We ran before we could walk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

My concern with Vidic is that be another Ronny Johnson who was past it when we signed him. lescott another example

And Paul McGrath a third?

In our situation we need experienced players on short term contracts. I can't really think of anyone that is better, available and likely to accept to come here on a short term contract.

Yes, we can sign Vidic and still fail. But why is that much worse than signing someone else and fail? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

You're comparing one of the best defenders of the last 20 years to Philip Senderos.

Though I agree with the sentiment, we need to make sure he's actually able to play football.

Only comparing in terms of never actually playing for us, not his ability which i thought was clear

Dont get this ready to bid business... Does Fox sit with his hand on the phone contemplating it for a while before hand

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/01/21/report-aston-villa-preparing-surprise-5m-bid-to-sign-out-of-form/

Aston Villa are reportedly ready to bid £5m for Celtic midfielder Stefan Johansen.

According to The Scottish Sun, Aston Villa are plotting a £5m move to sign Celtic midfielder Stefan Johansen - but manager Ronny Deila wants to keep him in Glasgow.

Villa edged past Wycombe Wanderers in the FA Cup on Tuesday night, winning their replay 2-0 at Villa Park, but the attention turns back towards their fight against relegation this weekend, as they take on local rivals West Bromwich Albion away from home.

Villa currently sit ten points adrift of safety in the Premier League, with Remi Garde's men sitting bottom of the table after just two wins this term.

If Villa are to have any chance of staying up, they will need new signings this month, and Garde has so far failed to bring any new faces to Villa Park.

However, The Scottish Sun report that Villa are preparing a £5m move to sign Celtic midfielder Stefan Johansen during this month's transfer window.

Johansen, 25, joined the Bhoys from Stromsgodset in his native Norway back in January 2014, and he was vital for Ronny Deila's men last season, smashing 13 goals in 56 games from midfield to fire Celtic to the Scottish Premiership title.

This term though, Johansen hasn't quite been himself, and whilst a lingering back issue has been troubling, he's simply been out of form for the first half of the season, scoring just four goals in 25 games this season.

With 18 months left on his contract, it's stated that Aston Villa are hoping to lure Johansen to the Premier League with a £5m offer - but they won't land him easily.

SEE ALSO:

Ronny Deila

It's stated that Bhoys manager Deila - who worked with Johansen at Stromsgodset - is keen to keep Johansen at Celtic Park, and even wants to offer him a new contract to ward off Villa's interest.