Gun violence in the USA

Marka Ragnos

10 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

It's a weird metric to use, 2 months, whilst we still have less actual murders.. 

But any who - In the UK it's still hard for "normal" people to get access to guns.  Illegal guns are apparently quite widespread according to police officers I know, but they are rarely used.  

That said, these crimes are increasing in the UK, and until the crime rate is 0, then there's always work to be done.  But I'd wager the UK gun laws are much more effective at protecting the people than the US ones are.  Hence why not many of us die to guns compared to US citizens.  

Where are they shipped in from, in general?

13 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

I would imagine a lot of guns in the UK are converted from replicas.

Yes, I think so, and IIRC quite a few go 'missing' from the army. 

EDIT: Just remembered the recent 30 year sentence for Paul Edmunds, who imported guns from America that were over a century old as 'antiques' and then converted them at his home. He had nearly 300 gun imports between 2009 and 2015, of which more than 200 are still unaccounted for. He was discovered with thirteen guns that he was working on and 50,000 rounds of ammunition, so he was presumably a reasonable-sized chunk of the ecosystem. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

I would imagine a lot of guns in the UK are converted from replicas.

As far as my knowledge goes, which is basically Ross Kemp documentaries, i’d say that’s right.

@legov

Found this article:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/06/16/gun-violence-united-kingdom-united-states/85994716/

Says gun violence statistics are 160x in the US what they are here. If you make it roughly per capita and divide by 6, that’s about 27x more risk in the US than here per individual.

7 hours ago, Davkaus said:

It's definitely concerning, but those stats don't tell the whole story, do they?

For a specific 2 month period, London has a higher murder rate thaqn New York. For the first time ever. Let's look at some of the other months shall we?

Indeed.

There was some terrible reporting on this story on the BBC earlier (I think it was R4 but it may have been after I switched over to 5live). Effectively they gave the same sensible context that you have here but then they gave the headline of the story a few minutes later without any qualification and continued to talk about it without that qualification. It was utter crap.

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, villakram said:

Another school shooting, this time in Texas. Never enough good guys with guns around when you need them /sarc

8 reported dead at the current time, with shooter in custody.

Thoughts and prayers* 

*(i.e. shrugs)

• Like 1

I was in the garden this morning, lovely day and all that. For some reason out of the blue, a thought popped into my head. There hasn't been a mass shooting in America for a while, they're about due one. Just heard the news. The cure is so bloody obvious. 

• Like 1

I was reading the report on the bbc, the line “The death toll makes this the deadliest school shooting since the one in February at Parkland, Florida” made me initially think that the final part would be some years ago... nope, couple of months.

What would it take for them to see sense? To see what the rest of the world sees?

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The NRA are too powerful.

How did they get powerful? Seems like they throw a lot of money at politicians, where do they get their money from? It is “membership” fees?

26 minutes ago, colhint said:

I was in the garden this morning, lovely day and all that. For some reason out of the blue, a thought popped into my head. There hasn't been a mass shooting in America for a while, they're about due one. Just heard the news. The cure is so bloody obvious. 

Yeah, stop @colhint thinking about mass shootings, there is probably only one way to make sure of that though....:unsure:

14 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Burn him as a witch.  

Or steal this lands, while ridiculing everything he has stood for in his life leading to alcoholism and destitution, then after a hundred or so years say “my bad, but you can’t have your land back, we’ve done stuff to it, but you can stay in that hovel you have formed, but anyhow if there is any oil/gas or anything we can exploit/profit from then that’s a different story entirely”.

On reflection maybe a good dunking then burning might be an easier way of dealing with the obvious issue

The resistance has started

A man has been arrested after allegedly exchanging gunfire with police and shouting about Donald Trump at a Florida golf resort owned by the US president.

Police were called to reports of “shots fired” at Trump National Doral resort, near Miami, in the early hours of Friday morning.

The Doral Police department said in their initial statement that there were “no known victims” and “no further threat”.

Police were notified of an “active shooter” at about 1.30am, Doral police chief Hernan Organvidez later told reporters.

He said officers from the Doral and Miami-Dade forces confronted him immediately and exchanged gunfire with the man who was “neutralised” and taken into custody. 

Miami-Dade police director Juan Perez said the man was shouting about Mr Trump, and “actively shooting.” 

“He was yelling and spewing some information about President Trump and that’s what we know so far. And he had an American flag that he did drape over the counter,” Perez said. 

Mr Perez said a Doral officer received an unspecified injury. 

“You know, these officers did not hesitate one second to engage this individual that was actively shooting in the lobby of the hotel,” he said. “They risked their lives knowing that that they had to get in there to save lives in that hotel.” 

Mr Perez said the Secret Service was also present and that the FBI had been called in.

More on link - The Indie

Â