Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

48 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I think I've been unconsciously avoiding the staggering reality of where we are right now. Is it true that we could actually be relegated this weekend?

'fraid so. :(

We will be relegated on Saturday IF we lose and Norwich draw/win; or we draw and Norwich win (we will have 5 games and potentially 15 points max available - Norwich would be at least 16 points clear).

Even if we match Norwich's result we would effectively be relegated because although in theory we could still catch up the 15 point gap,our goal difference is -19 worse than theirs so making up that difference is improbable. 

So to retain a theoretical chance of staying up we need to better Norwich's result.

One comfort: it's not the earliest relegation ever - that was Derby (29th March 2008 on 32 games); 2nd worse was Leicester (6 April 2002 on 34 games).

Edited by briny_ear

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

I think I've been unconsciously avoiding the staggering reality of where we are right now. Is it true that we could actually be relegated this weekend?

It's barely April and we are a week away from possible relegation.

What a complete and total COLLAPSE by the club. We've all been watching the past six years as it all went by in slow motion.

But now things are speeding up and we are doomed to be exiled from our proper place in the world, and it could be a potentially very long time before we get back.

What an absolute train wreck.

I feel the same mate. 

By this point in previous years, I'd have guessed and re-guessed the point totals each of our relegation rivals will achieve. This season, I haven't bothered (that in itself has been quite nice!).

Normally I'm having to defend the club from jokes/insults from my mates. I've not had to do anywhere near as much as I would have thought, which is probably quite telling.

While this has been an embarrassment of a campaign, the heartbreak if we had been relegated in the final game of the season, having put up more of a fight would hurt more. Whether or not that's true, I don't know. But it's what I'm telling myself.

The way this season's gone has highlighted the sheer ineptitude of how the club has been run for years-if we had scraped survival again, I doubt much would have changed in the summer and we'd be here, this time next year, discussing what went wrong again. I'm hopeful that if it takes this disastrous season to ensure the club is run differently and the terrible, can't be bothered players are gone, then maybe it's worth it in the long run.

Again, whether or not that's true, I don't know. But it's what I'm telling myself.;)

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Hev said:

As a matter of interest, when was the last time that NONE of the promoted teams went straight back down?  I bet it's some time ago.

Does anyone know this?

16 minutes ago, Hev said:

Does anyone know this?

Just "mooney'd" it (have I phrased that right?)

Unless I've read it incorrectly, QPR, Norwich and Swansea were the newly promoted teams for the  2011-12 season and all stayed up.

Previously, Blackburn, Fulham and Bolton were the newly promoted teams for the 2001-2002 season and they all stayed up.

Don't know if it's happened prior to that.

21 minutes ago, Hev said:

Does anyone know this?

2001/2002. Fulham, Blackburn and Bolton all stayed up.

beaten to it. Interesting looking at how they got on as none massively struggled. Blackburn finished 10th and Fulham got 44 points. What a dream 44 points in the prem would be :( 

Edited by bradarmstrong_

The last 5 or so years have felt like a long, painful death. The last few months have been the worst and now I just want it to end.

Saturday is going to be awful, but I really hope it's confirmed. Like a bullet to old yeller, we need to be put down. The quicker we get it done, the quicker we can get over it and start looking forward to next season.

Yep, I wish it would just be over now and we can start to think about moving on. 

It would be nice though for us to see just a little bit of fight from the players. Something to give us the tiniest of indication that the ones that stay could possibly maybe be able to play football next season. 

I know it's like wishing for rain in a desert but still..

I've already dealt with it i think, we're down and whilst we are clearly a huge embarrassment i am a little grateful that it's over without any last minute heartbreak as has been said by others.

I am intrigued actually to see who comes in as manager and what team we will put together for next season. Once you've dealt with it all psychologically it's actually quite exciting although tempered with a kind of lack of belief that Lerner will allow us to really have a go at promotion as he basically just wants out.

If nothing else it will be interesting to see what happens and at least i can go to a game with a bit of genuine hope of having a good day out for the first time in years!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

The last 5 or so years have felt like a long, painful death. The last few months have been the worst and now I just want it to end.

Saturday is going to be awful, but I really hope it's confirmed. Like a bullet to old yeller, we need to be put down. The quicker we get it done, the quicker we can get over it and start looking forward to next season.

Same for me. Couple of years ago I would've been distraught at going down but now honestly it will be a big meh. We certainly deserve this, we have nothing to give this league anymore so yes we have a 2 month head start on the other two relegated teams and quite a few in the championship who won't know what league they're on so let's make the most of it and try to come back stronger.

Worst will be the ribbing from the neighbours but ultimately we all dish it out so will have to take it on the chin.

I think thats probably why we havent appointed anyone as they dont want relegation on their cv which is completely understandable. I would try have new man in for saints game at home

Edited by Demitri_C

Thanks for the answers.   I too am very surprised that it's as recent as 2011/2012.  I would have thought it would have been the turn of the century.  Mind you, of all those teams, only Swansea have remained a constant.    Let's hope we follow their example then 

Â