Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

3 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

If its from the Sunday Times report the teams mentioned are Arsenal. Chelsea, Leicester and Small Heath. But no concrete proof. Yet.

LOL, really? Guess they couldn't get a hold of any of the 'performance enhancing' ones then?

As a matter of interest, when was the last time that NONE of the promoted teams went straight back down?  I bet it's some time ago.

28 minutes ago, Supervillan78 said:

If we lose to Bournemouth on Saturday and Norwich win/draw we're official down right?

Yep. If we lose the maximum number of points we can get if we win our remaining 5 games would be 31, which is what Norwich currently have. (As well as a +19 better GD than us).

At least it means we will be down by the time we play Newcastle so they can't gloat about sending us down, and in fact we could even have the honour of confirming their relegation for a 2nd time.

That would be a glorious end to this gash season.

Edited by jacketspuds
  • Like 2

Newcastle deffo a bit forked if relegated - from the Guardian -

With this season’s £80m spend on new players having wiped out their cash reserves and Newcastle’s first-team players lacking relegation clauses which would reduce their wages by around 50% in the event of the team dropping into the Championship, it is clear the impact of dropping out of the Premier League would be devastating.

A financial report released along with the latest accounts said: “During the year ended 30 June 2015 Newcastle United generated a profit after tax of £32.4m (2014: £18.7m) and a net cash inflow from operating activities of £39.1m (2014 £32.9m). Of the £39.1m cash generated £23.8m was spent during the financial year on the playing squad (net of disposals). The remainder (which formed part of our cash balance at 30 June 2015 of £48.3m) has been spent (or has been contracted to spend) in full since 1 July 2015.

“In total, the summer 2015 and January 2016 transfer windows have seen a net spend on the playing squad of just under £80m, and a significant increase in the club’s annual wage bill.”

The accounts also show that Mike Ashley, Newcastle’s owner, has not used any of the profits to reduce the £129m debt he is owed by the club in the form of interest-free loans from him and companies under his control. None of this sum has been repaid and the Sports Direct founder has not taken any other money from Newcastle during the accounting year or since its end.

21 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Newcastle deffo a bit forked if relegated - from the Guardian -

With this season’s £80m spend on new players having wiped out their cash reserves and Newcastle’s first-team players lacking relegation clauses which would reduce their wages by around 50% in the event of the team dropping into the Championship, it is clear the impact of dropping out of the Premier League would be devastating.

A financial report released along with the latest accounts said: “During the year ended 30 June 2015 Newcastle United generated a profit after tax of £32.4m (2014: £18.7m) and a net cash inflow from operating activities of £39.1m (2014 £32.9m). Of the £39.1m cash generated £23.8m was spent during the financial year on the playing squad (net of disposals). The remainder (which formed part of our cash balance at 30 June 2015 of £48.3m) has been spent (or has been contracted to spend) in full since 1 July 2015.

“In total, the summer 2015 and January 2016 transfer windows have seen a net spend on the playing squad of just under £80m, and a significant increase in the club’s annual wage bill.”

The accounts also show that Mike Ashley, Newcastle’s owner, has not used any of the profits to reduce the £129m debt he is owed by the club in the form of interest-free loans from him and companies under his control. None of this sum has been repaid and the Sports Direct founder has not taken any other money from Newcastle during the accounting year or since its end.

Newcastle United have announced a profit of £32.4m after tax, an increase of £13.7m on the previous year.

Financial results for the year to 30 June 2015 show a cash balance of £48.3m. Turnover fell by less than 1% and debt remained static at £129m.

But managing director Lee Charnley says the club understand "football and not financial results" are what fans want.

"We must remain positive and retain the belief that we can secure our Premier League status," he added.

they will steamroll the Championship

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Eh? All profit from previous years has now been spent and none of their players have relegation clauses and their wage bill is significantly higher...

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Zatman said:

How will they? they will need to sell all their players to stay afloat based on these figures? We are in a  better position if lerner gets his finger out his arse and authorises money to be spent. 

Just now, Zatman said:

people said same thing when Newcastle went down and Ashley made sure bulk of squad stayed and the non committed like Viduka, Owen and Duff were let go

Yes, but NUFC still owe Ashley £120 million, he hasn't written that off, and now their cash pot is empty and they will need to sell players to break even next season. Can't see Ashley bankrolling them again, he said as much in a recent interview. Doesn't mean they won't do well with the right manager and right players, but they will have a huge adjustment to make if they go down.

1 hour ago, Supervillan78 said:

I just can't wait for it to be over. Worse season in my memory.

I think it would still be the worst season in your memory if you'd been watching football for 141 years.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I think it would still be the worst season in your memory if you'd been watching football for 141 years.

I was about ten years old during the 86/87 season. Which at the time was a horrendous experience. My memory of it is now pretty vague, though I do recall taking lots of stick at school mostly from a Spurs fan (Which is what I put my deep lying hatred of Spurs to). Somehow, we have managed to churn out an even worse set of results than that bunch of players! These guys should be ashamed of their efforts this season. I feel so sorry for the young Villa fans at school, I can only imagine what it is like these days surrounded by Man Utd/Chelsea/Arsenal/Spurs fans, it must be hard to stick with the team after this season.

7 minutes ago, Swerbs said:

At least going down we might have the opportunity to see Villa win a league title next year!

To be honest i would prefer going down if it meant winning games and being competitive again. These last 3-4 years have not been enjoyable as a villa fan. 

• Like 3

If we do well next season in the championship and get promoted, we'd have a strong winning mentality within the squad which we've lacked for a good few years. This could help us do well in the premier league than what we've seen over the last few years. Big if though.

• Like 2

I really don't understand this "having a relegation on their CV" thing. It's not like football is some organisation no one has ever heard of and knows nothing about. Do we think if say Moyes took the job today, then, top of the Championship this time next year he applies for another job and they're gonna go, "na, generally his records good but he did get Aston Villa relegated". The only time waiting for an official relegation before deciding anything would be relevant would be in a computer game

• Like 1

Â