Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

8 minutes ago, AvfcTheObsession said:

Yep. Would love to wind back to the late nineties, 2 trophies and regular high finishes.

Even the 5 seasons from 2006-2011 would do me: 11th, 6th, 6th, 6th, 9th.

The 90's were pretty good times. I remember the mid 80's when we went down last time,we were dreadful but not as embarrassing and bad as this bunch. The season in division 2 was brilliant I really enjoyed that one when we got promoted. Trouble is when we go down this time we are not coming back up IMO, far from it

Edited by KHV
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KHV said:

The 90's were pretty good times. I remember the mid 80's when we went down last time,we were dreadful but not as embarrassing and bad as this bunch. The season in division 2 was brilliant I really enjoyed that one when we got promoted. Trouble is when we go down this time we are not coming back up IMO, far from it

I was born in the 80s so don't remember the last relegation, but I can imagine in the old Division 2 it would have been very different back then. Literally thousands of Villa travelling round the country to stand on terraces at new grounds, probably only paying a couple of quid for the privilege. Nowadays it's modest allocations at sky high prices and in that league you quickly become much of a muchness. If we didn't go straight back up (which we probably won't), we'll quickly become another Leeds (who were seen as being at least as big as us when they went down).

4 minutes ago, AvfcTheObsession said:

I was born in the 80s so don't remember the last relegation, but I can imagine in the old Division 2 it would have been very different back then. Literally thousands of Villa travelling round the country to stand on terraces at new grounds, probably only paying a couple of quid for the privilege. Nowadays it's modest allocations at sky high prices and in that league you quickly become much of a muchness. If we didn't go straight back uparrow-10x10.png (which we probably won't), we'll quickly become another Leeds (who were seen as being at least as big as us when they went down).

I think it was around £3.50 and that season we were good away but poor at home. The standout game for me was winning at Bradford 4-2. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AvfcTheObsession said:

I was born in the 80s so don't remember the last relegation, but I can imagine in the old Division 2 it would have been very different back then. Literally thousands of Villa travelling round the country to stand on terraces at new grounds, probably only paying a couple of quid for the privilege. Nowadays it's modest allocations at sky high prices and in that league you quickly become much of a muchness. If we didn't go straight back up (which we probably won't), we'll quickly become another Leeds (who were seen as being at least as big as us when they went down).

This squad does not have the fight for the championship, 3 games a week most weeks. Most of this lot are blowing out their arses after an hour when they have one game in a week!!

5 minutes ago, KHV said:

This squad does not have the fight for the championship, 3 games a week most weeks. Most of this lot are blowing out their arses after an hour when they have one game in a week!!

I do see some of them at times and think 'even I last longer than you at Power League on a Monday night, and I'm paying £5 to play.' :D

Those of you thinking we'll win games in the Championship are in for a shock if we do go down.

A 46 games season as  23 tems's Cup final home or away?

+ needing as much funds as possible from the 2 Cup runs?

our lightweight midfield?

best players leaving?

Richards, Okore, Sanchez, Gil, Vertout, Ayew, Amavi (following Jan window) 

Hutton will be MotM every week

to cap it all Randolph 'F***ing Lerner still owning us.

f*************************************k

40 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Top 8, bottom 3? what's the difference? You still don't win anything.

Although we didn't win anything, the years under MON were much more enjoyable than the last few. 

And under DOL his first year was much more enjoyable than the last. 

Winning would be great but at this point just enjoying it would be nice for a change.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PieFacE said:

If there's any hope of us staying up,  I think we need to win 6 of the next 9 games after this weekend.  So so unlikely.  

So youre talking about 25 games with 24. That is more than what we had after Hull game last season. Yet we lost twice after that.

For me being in touch with other teams end of this month would give us a lift. Couple of signings in Januaryif we are still in touch. 

We arent playing very bad. Ive seen much worse Villa side last season than this.

6-7 points next 4 games would be great and give us hope. That without losing to either Norwich or Newcastle. Win those two and we would back to the race hopefully.

But being 6 points behind the nearest team is really horrible.

That's a key point too abdulaziz1.  We not only need to start winning, we need to make sure our 6 pointers don't go the wrong way.  If we get 6 points from the next 4 games but lose to Newcastle and Norwich in the process then that would be 2 steps forward, 1 step back.  I'm concerned about the Newcastle game now.  Their attacking players might be about to click into gear and Wijnaldum is becoming a bit of a gem.

49 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Those of you thinking we'll win games in the Championship are in for a shock if we do go down.

A 46 games season as  23 tems's Cup final home or away?

+ needing as much funds as possible from the 2 Cup runs?

our lightweight midfield?

best players leaving?

Richards, Okore, Sanchez, Gil, Vertout, Ayew, Amavi (following Jan window) 

Hutton will be MotM every week

to cap it all Randolph 'F***ing Lerner still owning us.

f*************************************k

Exactly. Even how hard tge position we are in now. Staying up in this situation is much easier than going down and coming up again.

14 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

So youre talking about 25 games with 24. That is more than what we had after Hull game last season. Yet we lost twice after that.

For me being in touch with other teams end of this month would give us a lift. Couple of signings in Januaryif we are still in touch. 

We arent playing very bad. Ive seen much worse Villa side last season than this.

6-7 points next 4 games would be great and give us hope. That without losing to either Norwich or Newcastle. Win those two and we would back to the race hopefully.

But being 6 points behind the nearest team is really horrible.

Even if we manage that over the next 4 games, I'll be amazed if we can keep that kind of form going for the rest of the season.

1 hour ago, KHV said:

Lets give the squad a full preseason with a manager that knows what he's doing and a proper fitness coach

I hear if you have the proper regime in place in can do wonders 

Edited by AshVilla

Jesus , may as well put a padlock on the gates and close shop the way some posters see it. 

Leeds were completely different , they were bankrupted by real and I mean real shit management.

If we go down,  who's to say we won't win the first 5 games , get 40,000 through the doors and go on to have a storming season with Remi becoming a legend and Randy being hailed as the best thing since since ......well let's net get to carried away ay. 

After 30 years of watching it you start to realise that football is fickle.

All the other teams around us have either pulled a rabbit out of the hat with very unexpected results and had a bit of luck at crucial times be it player mistakes or referee decisions. So far this season we've had neither hopefully we can nick a win on Sunday and get something going as the next 4 games will decide our season and i think our transfer policy in January. Go undefeated and get a couple of wins and we will have a chance if not we are doomed. 

3 hours ago, BOF said:

That's a key point too abdulaziz1.  We not only need to start winning, we need to make sure our 6 pointers don't go the wrong way.  If we get 6 points from the next 4 games but lose to Newcastle and Norwich in the process then that would be 2 steps forward, 1 step back.  I'm concerned about the Newcastle game now.  Their attacking players might be about to click into gear and Wijnaldum is becoming a bit of a gem.

agreed, the six pointers are more important then games against everton, city or arsenal. I understand why people got upset by those games (city and everyton that is) but in reality the points we got from those were more than I expected, sure our goal difference might have taken a hit or two, but as the most likely outcome for the teams around us in the same fixtures will be losses or draws at the worst, Im not too fuzzed. But if we start losing against newcastle, sunderland, bournmouth etc. then i would be really worried about the possition we would find our selves in.

So, do you know the adress of this Wijnaldum character? I'll go there and dropkick the shit out of the mo**erfu**er :P

6 hours ago, KHV said:

The 89/90 season was the first season I really got into following Villa (I was 10-11 at the time). Real fond memories of that era, I'm glad you brought that up. Happier times!

11 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Top 8, bottom 3? what's the difference? You still don't win anything.

Just based on last season, the difference would have been at least 21 more points, so 7 more wins, or 6 more wins 3 more draws, etc., and 21 more goals in the "for" column, so roughly one extra goal scored in every two games.

If you can't see how that would be more entertaining, I can't help you.

Edited by briny_ear

Â