Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

39 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Hardly. They left villa to join a Boro side fighting relegation, although I guess Southgate joined a bit later so they were probably comfortable by then.

I think you'd be hard pushed to class that as "bigger and better things"

Spot on.

2 hours ago, Woodytom said:

It was a boro side showing a lot more ambition than we were, and a boro side that achieved a lot more.

Bollocks.

They won a league cup.

They had a good run in the UEFA Cup but Ehioghu was out of the team by then and Southgate was in the twilight of his career.

They finished above Villa once while those two were there.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Hardly. They left villa to join a Boro side fighting relegation, although I guess Southgate joined a bit later so they were probably comfortable by then.

I think you'd be hard pushed to class that as "bigger and better things"

I think the phrase he was looking for was bigger and better contracts

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Davkaus said:

You realise how long ago it was, right? There are people old enough to drink who will have never seen Southgate and Ehiogu play together for Villa. Those honours were 20/22 seasons ago!

Totally Aggree, but Mellberg id guess at being with us 15 years ago as well.............. im not knocking Mellberg and haven't...........  As for the honours, lets forget them if they were 22 seasons ago then - while were at it lets write 1982 off as well.............. honours are honours, and theyre the last honours we won........

Why would people be "bitter towards players that have moved on the bigger n better things" when talking about Dunne, Ehioghu and Southgate?

I wasn't meaning dunne. Southgate and Ehiogu went on to bigger n better things at the time.

Point is that if laursen had have moved on then I don't believe he would have been looked at as favourably.

Not saying that he was a bad player or anything just that the unfortunate way in which his career ended, boosted his reputation. As did 4000 shirts in mellberg's case.

Well a load of fans dressed as Vikings for his last home game a week before the 4,000 shirt thing.

16 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To be fair at the time Boro were signing "exotic" type fancy players and looking to be on an upwards trajectory.

You could say the same about QPR a couple of seasons ago.

A player going there doesn't mean they went on to "bigger and better things".

It might mean they THOUGHT they were going onto bigger and better things.

Boro was a team that was thrown money around and showed ambition but they massively underachieved. Players like Southgate,Geremi, Mendieta, Ehiogu, Boateng, Boksic, Juninho, Schwarzer were all top 6 players

3 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Mellberg being rated because he bought 4,000 shirts for fans is definitely up there as one of the stupider comments I've read.

It's not only untrue, it's also ridiculously patronising.

You'd almost think it's also deliberately contrary. Almost.

• Like 2

Looking back they only had one top-8 finish in that period (late nineties, early 00s), whereas we finished top 8 for 5 seasons running. So Ehiogu and Southgate may have thought they were going on to better things, but they didn't do any more than they did at Villa, they won a LC at both clubs, but finished consistently lower down the league at Boro.

3 minutes ago, AvfcTheObsession said:

Looking back they only had one top-8 finish in that period (late nineties, early 00s), whereas we finished top 8 for 5 seasons running. So Ehiogu and Southgate may have thought they were going on to better things, but they didn't do any more than they did at Villa, they won a LC at both clubs, but finished consistently lower down the league at Boro.

Exactly.

Its admirable people still think we’ll stay up.

I’m all for going down and actually scoring some goals and winning some football matches (hopefully) next season.

People really do get far too worked up about the premier league. Fed up of constantly losing with nothing to even cheer anymore.

We last won in August FFS!

• Like 1

Â