Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

What was the season when West Ham were 10 points adrift at the bottom and then went on a crazy run? We need something similar to happen. I am sure West Ham were destroyed by the likes of Reading and Charlton before they started a crazy run.

27 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

We owe Arsenal for last season and the FA Cup Final. Come on Villa - restore some pride back to the club.

Mate, we've owed Arsenal for 17 years and it's done **** all good. They are on another planet to us in so many ways and I expect they will show us that yet again tomorrow. If we can somehow win 2 of the next 3 then who knows but I think it's time to prepare for life in lower leagues.

36 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Mate, we've owed Arsenal for 17 years and it's done **** all good. They are on another planet to us in so many ways and I expect they will show us that yet again tomorrow. If we can somehow win 2 of the next 3 then who knows but I think it's time to prepare for life in lower leagues.

We have to believe while there is a mathematical chance. I know they are better than us, but we have beaten them a few times over the last 10 years, I hope we can do so again and atone (in a small way) for last season. That defeat must have hurt Grealish and Gabby, hopefully they can contribute tomorrow. UTV.

Edited by GENTLEMAN

It's probably helpful that quite a few of the players that will likely feature tomorrow weren't here last season - there's being motivated by defeat and then there's just being scarred. Losing 3-0, 5-0 and 4-0 against the same team in the same season (the last one coming in a cup final) probably did that to some of them, and we all know how mentally weak and pathetic they are.

14 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I used to think that. In fact add Watford in to that list. However I came to the conclusion a couple of weeks ago that I was way wide of the mark. This is at present a poor squad of players and has been all season. Some players may well improve the more they get used to this league but it will all come too late.

We can argue all night about the merits of Sherwood and to a lesser extent Garde but the bottom line is the players haven't been good enough and when the going has gotten tough in games they have gone missing too many times and lacked a pair of balls.

Absolutely spot on mate 

I wonder how those who think we should just go for it today, because it's a "free hit", will feel if we do so and get hammered by 5 or 6?

Are there any fans feeling that we should try and keep it as tight as possible to protect the GD as much as possible? 

I think we'll lose no matter what so damage limitation should be order of the day. 

1 hour ago, villarocker said:

I wonder how those who think we should just go for it today, because it's a "free hit", will feel if we do so and get hammered by 5 or 6?

Are there any fans feeling that we should try and keep it as tight as possible to protect the GD as much as possible? 

I think we'll lose no matter what so damage limitation should be order of the day. 

I think that's the sort of defeatist attitude that gets a team relegated. If we plan to lose but only by a goal in all the games we expect to lose in, let's say against the top 8 sides, then that's a goal difference of -16. try to beat them and get battered in 15 of the 16 matches with a goal difference of -100, but win one game, the goal difference means absolutely nothing.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Mantis said:

It's probably helpful that quite a few of the players that will likely feature tomorrow weren't here last season - there's being motivated by defeat and then there's just being scarred. Losing 3-0, 5-0 and 4-0 against the same team in the same season (the last one coming in a cup final) probably did that to some of them, and we all know how mentally weak and pathetic they are.

Leicester game was bad enough for them judging by results and performances.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Leicester game was bad enough for them judging by results and performances.

Yes exactly. Ability-wise I don't think we've got the worst team in the league (although it's certainly not great mind you). What will send us down (besides Sherwood''s inept start to the season) will be the fact that mentally the players are by far the worst in the league. They're just so weak and pathetic.

7 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I Yes exactly. Ability-wise I don't think we've got the worst team in the league (although it's certainly not great mind you). What will send us down (besides Sherwood''s inept start to the season) will be the fact that mentally the players are by far the worst in the league. They're just so weak and pathetic.

I see zero to support your thinking that ability wise, we're not the worst in the league.

Our squad 4/5 months back was a complete unknown given the signings.

Now, the 'only' thing we know about them is barring the very rare moment, they are simply not up to the task. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

I see zero to support your thinking that ability wise, we're not the worst in the league.

Our squad 4/5 months back was a complete unknown given the signings.

Now, the 'only' thing we know about them is barring the very rare moment, they are simply not up to the task. 

Most of the players weren't complete unknowns though and we saw some of these players play very well towards the end of last season. I'm not saying they're good or even mid-table ability-wise, just that mentality is our biggest weakness. Bournemouth for example do not have a better squad than us, especially not with their injuries, but at the moment they're a much better team and a lot of that is down to the fact that they're quite strong mentally.

Â