Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

Stating the bleeding obvious here, but if we did win tomorrow, safety would suddenly look very achievable. 

A win against Arsenal would be worth more than three points.

although I don't think it's too likely. 

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 1

I will accept it was all down to Sherwood if, even if he doesn't save us, Garde's Villa show at least midtable football (and results) from here on. However I'm very much in the camp that these players just aren't good enough, it's as simple as that.

And others are right in saying we need some of our own shocks now too, can't write off any game. Although we lost 12-0 last season with a much better squad so it doesn't bode well! Assuming we lose tomorrow, the ONLY chance we have of even having hope is winning every game left this calendar year. We need 3 or 4 wins on the bounce. But just reading that sentence is laughable...

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Shaw_nuff said:

The results this past few weeks are looking a bit odd. it's like the end of the season where 'lesser' clubs drag results from games they really should not have any right to win/draw. Practically every team in the league looks capable of getting points.... bar one. 

I think Chelsea will turn it around eventually 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cliffy Biro said:

You can't tell me Bournemouth have a better 11 starting than us on paper, just shows what confidence, belief and a good manager can do.

The ironic thing is this isn't even close to Bournemouth's first choice 11...that would be Tyrone Mings at left back, Calum Wilson starting as lead striker with Gradel playing as one of the wide forwards. All out injured for the season.

I was surprised to read today that someone in good form like Stanislas only actually started 6 times for them in the championship last season so the line up they're playing now is weaker than last season for them.

I actually thought a few weeks ago they'd finish bottom, were shipping so many goals and didn't have much threat in final third but looks like that mad 3-3 draw with Everton has changed their season.

Arter surely? No surprise their results have started to pick up since he came back from injury.

I have to say if I was a neutral I'd want Bournemouth to stay up ahead of us. Infact for most neutral Villa, Newcastle and Sunderland must be the dream bottom trio as we're all dreadfully run and it's always amusing to see big teams get relegated. All three of us have brought very little to the league in recent years with the awful football played. 

1 hour ago, KJT123 said:

I still believe our squad is better than Norwich, Bournemouth, West Brom, Newcastle and Sunderland. It's quite simply incredible how far away we are from safety at this point in the season. 

There is absolutely nothing to suggest our squad is better than those teams.

We sold/released our best players last season and replaced them with unknowns, it hasn't worked out. 

• Like 2

Opta Stats are here

Its all very damming....another nail in the coffin

However, tomorrows result will not be the decider. Next weeks game against Newcastle is the one. Its a must win. Lose that one and the season is all about trying to get past Derby County's lowest Prem points total. We are in such a sorry state and there is only one person to blame.....Lerner.

• Arsenal have lost none of their last 16 Premier League visits to Villa Park (W9 D7). Only three teams have ever enjoyed better runs of away results in Football League history (Liverpool at Sunderland – 20 games, Man Utd at Aston Villa – 20 games, Chelsea at Spurs – 17 games).
  • Aston Villa have earned more points away from home against Arsenal (20) than they have at home (18) in the Premier League era.
  • Aston Villa have gone 14 games without a win, the longest run without a victory in their league history (1888-present day).
  • Aston Villa have won none of their last eight Premier League games at Villa Park (D2 L6).
  • Eight consecutive home games without a victory equals Aston Villa’s longest ever run in the league set in March 1921 and matched in October 1987.
  • Arsenal have lost just two of their last 14 Premier League away games (W10 D2 L2).
  • Petr Cech has kept 168 clean sheets in the Premier League – just one behind the all-time leading goalkeeper in this category, David James (169).
  • Olivier Giroud has scored in each of his last four appearances against Aston Villa in all competitions and has currently scored 49 goals in the Premier League.
  • Mesut Ozil has both scored and assisted in his last two Premier League appearances against Aston Villa. Only against Everton (4 – one goal, three assists) has he had a hand in as many goals as he has against Villa (4 – two goals, two assists).

42 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Stating the bleeding obvious here, but if we did win tomorrow, safety would suddenly look very achievable. 

A win against Arsenal would be worth more than three points.

although I don't think it's too likely. 

Let's party like it's 1998.

All in all it's not looking too good is it?

8 points adrift. Marooned.

3 minutes ago, imavillan said:

Opta Stats are here

However, tomorrows result will not be the decider. Next weeks game against Newcastle is the one. Its a must win. Lose that one and the season is all about trying to get past Derby County's lowest Prem points total. We are in such a sorry state and there is only one person to blame.....Lerner.

• Aston Villa have gone 14 games without a win, the longest run without a victory in their league history (1888-present day).

Incredible.

Edited by supernova26

Just now, The Fun Factory said:

Let's party like it's 1998.

All in all it's not looking too good is it?

8 points adrift. Marooned.

Now a win like that would do bloody wonders. 

But a more realistic outcome would be a 3-2 defeat having gone 2-0 up. 

47 minutes ago, imavillan said:

Opta Stats are here

• Arsenal have lost none of their last 16 Premier League visits to Villa Park (W9 D7). Only three teams have ever enjoyed better runs of away results in Football League history (Liverpool at Sunderland – 20 games, Man Utd at Aston Villa – 20 games, Chelsea at Spurs – 17 games).
  • Aston Villa have earned more points away from home against Arsenal (20) than they have at home (18) in the Premier League era.
  • Aston Villa have won none of their last eight Premier League games at Villa Park (D2 L6).
  • Eight consecutive home games without a victory equals Aston Villa’s longest ever run in the league set in March 1921 and matched in October 1987.
  • Arsenal have lost just two of their last 14 Premier League away games (W10 D2 L2).
  • Petr Cech has kept 168 clean sheets in the Premier League – just one behind the all-time leading goalkeeper in this category, David James (169).
  • Olivier Giroud has scored in each of his last four appearances against Aston Villa in all competitions and has currently scored 49 goals in the Premier League.
  • Mesut Ozil has both scored and assisted in his last two Premier League appearances against Aston Villa. Only against Everton (4 – one goal, three assists) has he had a hand in as many goals as he has against Villa (4 – two goals, two assists).

I'm normally a great fan of stats but, really, did you have to pile it on quite that thick? :(

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

From Bournmouth's starting 11 today how many of them would get in the Villa team

Smith maybe ahead of Hutton
Francis - def
Ritchie - 100%
Stanislas- probably

From their starting eleven all eleven would get in to the villa team because we are the worst team in premier league history and nobody that plays for us gives a flying **** about aston villa

Â