Adama Traore

mwj

I get that he's unproven and a work in progress but it does seem awfully like Villa these days to sign a player from Barcelona and then rarely play him. I mean yeah he played a lot for our U21's (good for them) but not for the Senior team. Adama seemed like he would be useful even on a bad day as he would have likely created something in a match. That was our issue last season, we had no shortage of players that could score goals I mean Ayew banged them in with ease when he finally made a chance for himself we just lacked creative players. It annoyed me that we had arguably one of the most promising creative players in Europe in our team and he rarely featured, more annoying was when he did he made things happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

watching that dribble proves to me that Garde was an idiot for never letting him loose

Am I misremembering, or didn't he get injured fairly soon after Garde joined?

Anyway, I agree with the point that he should have played more, especially after he came back from injury when it was already clear we were going down. I could understand not playing him while we were still in with a chance of avoiding relegation - which became basically certain a game or two after the Liverpool game, if I recall rightly - but he should have played more after that. 

Yes not playing him for 'defensive' reasons worked tremendously well didn't it!?

Have I or anyone said that was the only reason? Because I don't think I did.

In my opinion he didn't play 'a lot more', as you've said, for a number of different reasons. He had some niggling injuries that kept him from being picked, including the subsequent 'regaining fitness' periods. There were times when the team picked ahead of him genuinely looked like the best team we had available (earlier in the season when we played Gestede + Grealish + one of Ayew or Gil or Sinclair), and throwing in a young, raw and inconsistent player ahead of Ayew/ Gil/ Sinclair would have resulted in the manager being slated for not selecting the players that we had with much more experience at a higher level than what Adama has/had. Then lastly there is the opinion that for all his good work in doing super-fast and impressive dribbles, he can also run into a lot of dead ends, his final ball was occasionally wayward and he looked lazy without the ball.

It certainly isn't a case of 'he doesn't defend, therefore we were right not to play him' (as much as you and the same people who 'like' your posts like to make out it is).

As for the YouTube highlight video. Tonev also had an amazing YouTube video, so maybe don't rely on that as a way of belly-laughing at anyone with the opposing opinion, ay?

9 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Have I or anyone said that was the only reason? Because I don't think I did.

In my opinion he didn't play 'a lot more', as you've said, for a number of different reasons. He had some niggling injuries that kept him from being picked, including the subsequent 'regaining fitness' periods. There were times when the team picked ahead of him genuinely looked like the best team we had available (earlier in the season when we played Gestede + Grealish + one of Ayew or Gil or Sinclair), and throwing in a young, raw and inconsistent player ahead of Ayew/ Gil/ Sinclair would have resulted in the manager being slated for not selecting the players that we had with much more experience at a higher level than what Adama has/had. Then lastly there is the opinion that for all his good work in doing super-fast and impressive dribbles, he can also run into a lot of dead ends, his final ball was occasionally wayward and he looked lazy without the ball.

It certainly isn't a case of 'he doesn't defend, therefore we were right not to play him' (as much as you and the same people who 'like' your posts like to make out it is).

As for the YouTube highlight video. Tonev also had an amazing YouTube video, so maybe don't rely on that as a way of belly-laughing at anyone with the opposing opinion, ay?

Did Tonev do any of those things against Premier League teams?

Traore in his short time here did some quality things and made two assists, plus scored in the cup, in what? 10 appearances? Definitely shows he could deliver plus is one of only genuine attacking threats we have. Apart from injuries there's no excuse for him not playing more 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rob182 said:

We're talking about next season Jonah, surely? You can't fall back on your usual 'we lost ev, ery game so ANYONE (Adama included) must be a better option' argument. Next season, I'd hope that we're winning the majority of our matches. So if Adama isn't working, he'll need to be dropped, as would other players in that position.

I'm all for playing Adama next season, but as he's not the finished article, it'd be foolish to put all our hopes on him and not have other options to replace him with when he's having one of his N'Zogbia games.

No I'm talking about your genuine concerns last season. 

Concerns for next season? Well I'm concerned about a lot more issues than if Adama will track back and pass more. I'd imagine RDM is as well. 

I'm not putting all our hopes on him, I think he's got the potential to be a stand out player in the league next season, and I'd like our attacking players to be given a chance based on what they offer as attackers and not left out because we're afraid of what they lack in defence, while we lose every game. 

To get promoted we need to win and this club doesn't know how to do that. We can start by attacking with attacking players. I look forward to it. If he proves to be detrimental to the team then he should and I assume will be dropped. But he deserves the opportunity and deserved more of one last year. Too many gutless people picking the team. 

Did Tonev do any of those things against Premier League teams?

Traore in his short time here did some quality things and made two assists, plus scored in the cup, in what? 10 appearances? Definitely shows he could deliver plus is one of only genuine attacking threats we have. Apart from injuries there's no excuse for him not playing more 

'Any of those things'? You talk like he performed to Dele Alli/ Harry Kane levels of what a promising youngster can do. He showed great pace and power, but not a lot more, for me.

I don't know if the sites I'm looking at are wrong, but from what I can see, he got 1 goal and 1 assist in 11 appearances in all competitions. 184 minutes in total. Also, as good as the run was for his assist, I'm of the opinion that his cross was pretty overhit. Someone like Rudy Gestede wouldn't have been able to adjust his body and stretch to hit the cross like Gil did. Don't get me wrong, an assist is an assist, and his run for it was great, but what I read from that goal was that he still has areas to improve before he'll be a regularly genuine threat.

As I've always said, I want him to play, and even more so in the Championship, but other than the end of the season, there were often real reasons last season for him to only be picked as an impact sub.

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

'Any of those things'? You talk like he performed to Dele Alli/ Harry Kane levels of what a promising youngster can do. He showed great pace and power, but not a lot more, for me.

I don't know if the sites I'm looking at are wrong, but from what I can see, he got 1 goal and 1 assist in 11 appearances in all competitions. 184 minutes in total. Also, as good as the run was for his assist, I'm of the opinion that his cross was pretty overhit. Someone like Rudy Gestede wouldn't have been able to adjust his body and stretch to hit the cross like Gil did. Don't get me wrong, an assist is an assist, and his run for it was great, but what I read from that goal was that he still has areas to improve before he'll be a regularly genuine threat.

As I've always said, I want him to play, and even more so in the Championship, but other than the end of the season, there were often real reasons last season for him to only be picked as an impact sub.

Personally I don't think he was given a  chance to really prove his quality, every time I saw him I felt like something could happen, and given the season we just had that's some good going by the lad. 

Think it was only him and Hutton who even bothered crossing the ball last season and the less said about Huttons crossing the better. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking forward to see how he does under RDM and Clarke.  With some propper coaching this guy could be absolutely phenomenal in the Championship.  More raw ability and pace than I have seen in a long time, he just needs to learn to play in a decent team and make better decisions.  If he stays could be special next year. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

I am looking forward to see how he does under RDM and Clarke.  With some propper coaching this guy could be absolutely phenomenal in the Championship.  More raw ability and pace than I have seen in a long time, he just needs to learn to play in a decent team and make better decisions.  If he stays could be special next year. 

Gabby had "raw pace and ability" I seem to remember!

I like Traore, any player that gets bums off seats is fine by me but he certainly isn't the kind of player you build a team around, yet. 

He should definitely get a run of games next season, we need to stamp our authority on that league as we will be considered a scalp by many teams and he may be the outlet required.

1 minute ago, allani said:

"...from what I can see he got 1 goal and 1 assist in 11 appearances in all competitions. 184 minutes in total...."

Not disagreeing with any of the other points made at all - but 184 minutes equates to 2 matches.  Strikes me that an assist and a goal every other game in a team that would stuggle to score in a brothel is actually pretty damn impressive.  I hope that he stays, keeps fit and proves some of his potential to justify selection - because if he replicates those kinds of stats across a full season then we should be doing pretty well!  20 goals from one winger would be incredible. :-)

It's actually criminal that he didn't get more game time - regardless of the reasons.

We couldn't find the net half the time so having someone like Adama sat on the bench week in week out made zero sense. Wouldn't blame him if he wanted to leave after that

• Like 2

Sherwood resented a player he didn't sign, Garde didn't rate him, but then Garde was a cautious mo-fo. Black, well enough said. Plus a horrific injury. The guy has not had a proper chance yet - praying he stays.

50 minutes ago, Hoof hearted said:

Gabby had "raw pace and ability" I seem to remember!

Gabby had pace, but not the same football ability IMO.  Traore goes past defenders like they ain't there...I agree he is not one to build a team around yet but he could do some serious damage in the championship.  I am hoping RDM and Clarke get the most out of him.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

Hopefully he's one of the players that RDM has said he wants to keep, that has agreed to stay.

Irrespective of the different feelings across the support for the reasons he didn't play a lot more last year, I think we can all agree that he can be a massive asset in the championship.

Seeing him as a first choice winger would be really exciting, especially if he had fewer 'potential' players around him and more established players.

Adama being the only wild card, or one of two wild cards in the team, is the ideal way that I can see him succeeding.

• Like 1

Â