Jordan Veretout

MikeMcKenna

42 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

No but even if I did it's irrelevant as I'm comparing a French team versus a French team. The quality may be there in terms of touch, passing etc and if may all look pretty. But we all know when it comes to strength of teams football is so much more than this. 

But how can you make a judgment on how good a team is when you're not even watching them play?  It's an assumption based on... well, nothing.

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Lyon are one of the most successful teams in recent French history and I still don't think they would 'destroy' it. Take the bottom 10 teams of the French league and compare it with the top 10 of this championship. Which is stronger?

What does that prove? 

Take the top 10 French teams and compare them with the top 10 Championship teams.

Take the bottom 10 French teams and compare them with the bottom 10 Championship teams.

The French league is a much better league. I'd even fancy teams like Metz to finish in a playoff spot in the Championship.

Would teams like Reading, Fulham, Huddlesfield finish in the top 6 in the French League? Not a chance. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, bobzy said:

But how can you make a judgment on how good a team is when you're not even watching them play?  It's an assumption based on... well, nothing.

You got me there. I have watched French football just not on a regular basis. Seems pretty average to me. 

Championship has a lot more pulling power now due to wages that can be offered and fees that can be paid. French teams can't compete.

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don't get why it is such nonsense? Again PSG and Monaco aside the fees and wages now paid in this league dwarf what is paid in France. The level of the Championship has increased massively over the years. Yes the youth players are generally better in France but don't see how overall you think the league is so much stronger.  

My view on the French league Is being ridiculed yet nobody is backing it up. 

Did you watch our matches last season? In almost all of them both we and our opposition were muck. 4th best league in Europe implies that the Championship is better than Ligue 1 and also 1 of La Liga/Serie A/Bundesliga. I don't mean offence, that just genuinely is the biggest pile of nonsense I've ever read on this forum. Re money, it doesn't matter how much teams can spend if they are massively overpaying. We spent almost £45m on strikers last year and teams without a penny to their name outscored us. The PL is the richest league in the world but its teams can't compete with European counterparts. , Bank balances don't make such a difference if teams are being charged £50m for Dier and Sigurdsson. 

Back on Veretout, I would look to keep him but if he's set on going we should be asking for what we paid for him.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Did you watch our matches last season? In almost all of them both we and our opposition were muck. 4th best league in Europe implies that the Championship is better than Ligue 1 and also 1 of La Liga/Serie A/Bundesliga. I don't mean offence, that just genuinely is the biggest pile of nonsense I've ever read on this forum. Re money, it doesn't matter how much teams can spend if they are massively overpaying. We spent almost £45m on strikers last year and teams without a penny to their name outscored us. The PL is the richest league in the world but its teams can't compete with European counterparts. , Bank balances don't make such a difference if teams are being charged £50m for Dier and Sigurdsson. 

Back on Veretout, I would look to keep him but if he's set on going we should be asking for what we paid for him.

I didn't say better I said stronger. Plus it was Rafa that said it. I'm just agreeing with him.  Anyway going way off topic now so I'll leave it there. 

Veretout want get the contract he has in the championship if he moves to France. He should consider that before leaving. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

15 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Good article but I disagree that the top 10 teams in France are better than than the top teams of the championship. Psg and Monaco are head and shoulders above. The rest are very average to poor. I would say overall the Championship is a much stronger league.

16 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I didn't say better I said stronger. Plus it was Rafa that said it. I'm just agreeing with him.  Anyway going way off topic now so I'll leave it there. 

Same thing in the way you said it - "...disagree that top 10 teams in France are better... overall the Championship is a much stronger league".

You've admitted that you don't watch French football and have nothing to base this on other than the Championship being richer, though, so we're probably done :) 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Good article but I disagree that the top 10 teams in France are better than than the top teams of the championship. Psg and Monaco are head and shoulders above. The rest are very average to poor. I would say overall the Championship is a much stronger league.

Think you're backtracking mate, but I agree we should leave it there ;)

5 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Think you're backtracking mate, but I agree we should leave it there ;)

It's a debate that can't be concluded because they will never play each other. It's solely based on watching the football and that is subjective. End of the day the average attendance of the top 20 championships teams is higher, the average wage is higher, the average spend is higher, and the average revenue is higher. All that even though France has maybe one of the richest team in the world!  Championship maybe poor. But France Ligue is also poor and miles behind the big 4 of Europe. It's not even their national sport! 

We'll leave it there ;)

17 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

One of my biggest criticisms of Veretout when in the prem was that he looked unfit and too slow for the English league. Did he looked improved on these aspects last night?

It didn't show mate, but in fairness it was against Telford mate. A lot of the play went through him and he was always showing for the ball and can actually pass a ball, something that is unheard of from a Villa player of late

• Like 1

Â