Jordan Veretout

MikeMcKenna

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Good article but I disagree that the top 10 teams in France are better than than the top teams of the championship. Psg and Monaco are head and shoulders above. The rest are very average to poor. I would say overall the Championship is a much stronger league.

Completely disagree... if a team like Bordeaux were in the Championship they would walk it. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Completely disagree... if a team like Bordeaux were in the Championship they would walk it. 

Based on what? There is loads more money flowing in the Championship now. Average wages are much higher too. I agree with Rafa that it's the 4th strongest league in Europe.'

Based on the football they play, and how poor the Championship.

The Championship is a terrible standard of football, you really don't have to be very good to get out of it.

Could you imagine Lyon in this league? :lol:

They'd destroy it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Based on what? There is loads more money flowing in the Championship now. Average wages are much higher too. I agree with Rafa that it's the 4th strongest league in Europe.'

Literally the biggest pile of nonsense I've ever read on VT.

On Veretout, I'd love him to stay. As well as controlling the game, he put in a great shift defensively today (admittedly against weak opposition), as he often did for Saint Etienne. I reckon he's complete enough to allow us to play a 2 in midfield, freeing us up to play 4 attacking players, and more numbers committed to forward areas is something we badly need. Having said all that I'm not sure that Bruce fancies him, or that he fancies us for that matter. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Literally the biggest pile of nonsense I've ever read on VT.

On Veretout, I'd love him to stay. As well as controlling the game, he put in a great shift defensively today (admittedly against weak opposition), as he often did for Saint Etienne. I reckon he's complete enough to allow us to play a 2 in midfield, freeing us up to play 4 attacking players, and more numbers committed to forward areas is something we badly need. Having said all that I'm not sure that Bruce fancies him, or that he fancies us for that matter. 

I don't get why it is such nonsense? Again PSG and Monaco aside the fees and wages now paid in this league dwarf what is paid in France. The level of the Championship has increased massively over the years. Yes the youth players are generally better in France but don't see how overall you think the league is so much stronger.  

My view on the French league Is being ridiculed yet nobody is backing it up. 

10 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Based on the football they play, and how poor the Championship.

The Championship is a terrible standard of football, you really don't have to be very good to get out of it.

Could you imagine Lyon in this league? :lol:

They'd destroy it.

Lyon are one of the most successful teams in recent French history and I still don't think they would 'destroy' it. Take the bottom 10 teams of the French league and compare it with the top 10 of this championship. Which is stronger?

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

The championship is a league where a 45 year old can dominate games. The quality is garbage and it really shouldn't be that diffcult to set up a team with our resources to walk it. We have just failed massively in forming a team.

Agreed. All this tough league stuff is nonsense. It's a shit league of teams that are too shit to be in a league which contains Burnley and Huddersfield.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

The championship is a league where a 45 year old can dominate games. The quality is garbage and it really shouldn't be that diffcult to set up a team with our resources to walk it. We have just failed massively in forming a team.

Which 45 year old dominated games? 

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Lyon are one of the most successful teams in recent French history and I still don't think they would 'destroy' it. Take the bottom 10 teams of the French league and compare it with the top 10 of this championship. Which is stronger?

Do you watch much French football?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bobzy said:

On Veretout by the way, he's a central midfielder that does the most basic thing fairly well - pass and move. 

Its amazing how much we miss such a simple trait in our midfield generally. He showed it in the PL as he was settling IMO and, granted against Telford, showed it last night. Was also noticeable that he loved us scoring. High-fived Lansbury after his second penalty and was running back into our half to start again... in a friendly!

IF he could have his head in the right place, I think he'd be a real asset this season.

Absolutely spot on, in a 5 man midfield we can afford a space for someone to give Jedinak a stupidly easy pass who when he gets it can do the right thing and not lose the ball as a minimum, hopefully find a quick counter when it's on too. I think Veretout can do this, we could play a 3-4-2-1 with jedi and veretout in the middle of the four, 2 from hourihan/mcormack/grealish/adomah and kodija up top. Against weaker teams we could leave Jedi out and play another attacking midfielder or forward.

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

Agreed. All this tough league stuff is nonsense. It's a shit league of teams that are too shit to be in a league which contains Burnley and Huddersfield.

I tjink it's a tough League.

But not very good quality.

Its tough because nearly all the sides are evenly matched ( the old "anyone can beat anyone" idea).

Ive never thought that anyone being able to beat anyone is a sign of the strength of a League.

It makes it entertaining, but has nothing to do with quality.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Eastie said:

How did veretout do last night at Telford? I was watching the Kidderminster game.

Absolutely fine, nothing amazing but was probably our best central player. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Do you watch much French football?

No but even if I did it's irrelevant as I'm comparing a French team versus a French team. The quality may be there in terms of touch, passing etc and if may all look pretty. But we all know when it comes to strength of teams football is so much more than this. 

13 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I tjink it's a tough League.

But not very good quality.

Its tough because nearly all the sides are evenly matched ( the old "anyone can beat anyone" idea).

Ive never thought that anyone being able to beat anyone is a sign of the strength of a League.

It makes it entertaining, but has nothing to do with quality.

Yep, we are confusing strength with quality.  I think there is quite a difference. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Absolutely spot on, in a 5 man midfield we can afford a space for someone to give Jedinak a stupidly easy pass who when he gets it can do the right thing and not lose the ball as a minimum, hopefully find a quick counter when it's on too. I think Veretout can do this, we could play a 3-4-2-1 with jedi and veretout in the middle of the four, 2 from hourihan/mcormack/grealish/adomah and kodija up top. Against weaker teams we could leave Jedi out and play another attacking midfielder or forward.

No Lansbury ?

For me it looks like this season we WONT have pace, and we WONT have power.

Thats two big negatives.

So to avoid going down the plug hole we definitely need some footballers.

Veretout is one.

Who else ?

In my view McCormack, Hourihane, Green, and Lansbury..... and to a lesser extent Adomah and Grealish.

For me we need to play 4 from those 7 together most of the time....dropping to 3 and putting Jedi in against some opposition......with one from Kodja and Hogan.

The blend can change as needed.

But I would be disappointed if we end up with only 3 of that group on a regular basis

• Like 2

Â