Jordan Veretout

MikeMcKenna

2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Didn't he have more assists than all our other midfielders, despite him not really playing all that much?

The lad obviously has talent, if you do not see it then fair enough, but he is a cut above our current midfielders.

Oh and following your argument about basing players from last year, I guess Gana is shite too then? ;)

As far as I'm concerned they're all shite, Gana has been relatively impressive for Everton but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves, it's early days for him there yet.

Re assists last season, honestly I don't know but I don't recall him making that many, 2 or 3 at best I'd suggest? Irrespective of that, my opinion is based on how utterly ineffectual he was for 99% of his time on the pitch, he had no real pace, no real strength, he wasn't good in the air, he couldn't seem to pass a ball accurately over 5 yards let alone anything longer, he was powder-puff in a tackle, he didn't track runners and he couldn't shoot for shit.

But yeah, aside from all that he looked a world beater, can't wait to have him back.......

• Like 1

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

As far as I'm concerned they're all shite, Gana has been relatively impressive for Everton but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves, it's early days for him there yet.

Re assists last season, honestly I don't know but I don't recall him making that many, 2 or 3 at best I'd suggest? Irrespective of that, my opinion is based on how utterly ineffectual he was for 99% of his time on the pitch, he had no real pace, no real strength, he wasn't good in the air, he couldn't seem to pass a ball accurately over 5 yards let alone anything longer, he was powder-puff in a tackle, he didn't track runners and he couldn't shoot for shit.

But yeah, aside from all that he looked a world beater, can't wait to have him back.......

Well you watch football very differently to me. Think we can just leave it there,

• Like 2

The little I've seen of Vertout he has more to his play than the current batch of midfielders at Bruce's disposal but there's no point in recalling him if he doesn't want to come back and even if he did he would have to be played in his natural position to get the best out of him.

Vertout seems to have settled better back in his homeland and I can't see his partner wanting to come back here either so it might be better the club cut its losses and allow Bruce to bring his own players in. 

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I thought he was a good passer, and I thought he had something like 6 assists last season? It's interesting the difference of perspective of the English football fan as the first thing we look at seems t be pace, strength and aerial ability in a midfielder.

50 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

TBH I couldn't care less if he didn't want to come back. He is under contract with us. If we recall him he's coming back, whether he likes it or not.

That's kinda my stance on it too. 

16 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I thought he was a good passer, and I thought he had something like 6 assists last season? It's interesting the difference of perspective of the English football fan as the first thing we look at seems t be pace, strength and aerial ability in a midfielder.

In any player.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Because it's a fast, physical game over here. That might be a cliche, but it's also a fact IMO. If you're not quick or strong, or both, you better be really bloody good at passing otherwise you're going to get caught short. Personally, I don't think he's quite good enough. Would have happily given him another chance, but he wasn't up for it, so whatever.

No great loss. Aside from the £9m! 

He can come back be a fringe player, have the odd good game followed by 3 anonymous ones. In no way scientific, but the first time I seen him he body language screamed 'I don't want to be here'.

I doubt he will come back - if he does I'm expecting no more than adequate.

7 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Nice player, not enough goals.If he can add goals to his game then he is the kind of player we need.

That's a pretty big if  - you could say the same about Gardner, Grealish, Ayew , 

4 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

How do you arrive at this conclusion?

He was garbage last season and he featured enough times to make that assessment.

Had no more impact than any of our other midfielders.

That is purely an insult, not an assessment.

3 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

TBH I couldn't care less if he didn't want to come back. He is under contract with us. If we recall him he's coming back, whether he likes it or not.

This is true, but if he is unmotivated and doesn't want to be here, then there is no reason to keep him. Like I said previously, I don't blame Veretout for not wanting to stay here. I think he was truly excited in the beginning to join us, but months of mismanagement, poor ownership, and us being the laughing stock of the league has changed his views. Probably best just to let him move on unless he wants to come back. I don't see him wanting to be here while we are in the championship especially since he is playing well in France. 

48 minutes ago, hippo said:

That's a pretty big if  - you could say the same about Gardner, Grealish, Ayew , 

He is a goalscoring midfielder though.  We just didn't use him in that way.  In his only other full season as a senior centre mid he scored 7 for Nantes and a load of assists.  He also scored 6 for them in '11/'12 as an 18 year old.  He has opened his account this season for St. Etienne as well.  So the "if" is "if we use him right".

• Like 1

Â