Jordan Ayew

HeyAnty

4 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Lack of effort is one thing Ayew can't really be criticised for. For someone who's a forward, he makes an absurd amount of tackles (most for us this season, I think|) and tracking back. I can understand people thinking he's selfish, lacking end product, slowing the game down, etc. but effort?

If we sign someone like Brady we'll see what constitutes effort 

13 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Err... nothing to do with what I said. But okay.

I'm stating my original point. 

The fact that we've come to the stage where people are seeing someone like Ayew as one of our workers is one of the reasons we are where we are.

I appreciate that in comparison to some of our current players he may look like a workhorse but my point is that Bruce will fix this and bring in players of the right mould (the likes of Brady).

Ayew will not be with us next season IMO

12 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Lack of effort is one thing Ayew can't really be criticised for. For someone who's a forward, he makes an absurd amount of tackles (most for us this season, I think|) and tracking back. I can understand people thinking he's selfish, lacking end product, slowing the game down, etc. but effort?

You're only as good as your last game in the eyes of many, unfortunately. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, dubliner said:

I'm stating my original point. 

The fact that we've come to the stage where people are seeing someone like Ayew as one of our workers is one of the reasons we are where we are.

Expand? Personally I've been watching football for 25 years, I feel like I know instinctively whether a player is working hard or not. I don't think there's any basis for questioning Ayew on this.

Even compared to the current squad under Bruce, who are to a man putting a shift in, he's still one of the standout contributers in terms of workrate, in my opinion. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

You're only as good as your last game in the eyes of many, unfortunately. 

Dave maybe I haven't been following this thread closely enough but I don't think many, if any, are judging Ayew purely based on his last game. If anything those that rate him the least have never rated him.

In terms of his work rate that would be the last part of his game I'd personally criticize but he is fair game in terms of end product, a tendency to want to beat a man then piss about and have to beat him again really slowing our play down at times, that he constantly wants to cut inside and rarely if ever try to mix up his play and attempt to get to the by line.

I don't doubt for a second he tries and puts a shift in but after a decent start to the season I'd say over his last half dozen games or so he has contributed very little in terms of what he is primarily there to do which is to make a positive contribution to us as an attacking force either being involved in creating chances or scoring goals/getting a few shots in.

He is possibly not helped by him not being a natural wide forward. Despite possibly not having as much ability Adomah looks much more comfortable than he does. I am not sure where else he could be shoe horned in though given our other options up top. Centrally I don't think he is good enough as he wouldn't offer either enough of a goal threat or the ability to link up with others and play them in.

With the ball at his feet he certainly has some ability. He needs to become more aware of those around him though and stop being so head down and wanting to do it all on his own. Maybe that is something he has carried over from last season when those around him had given up and were dire. This season though he has players like Kodjia, Grealish, McCormack, Adomah to link up with. I wouldn't just throw that accusation at Ayew though as whilst our poor midfield has obviously contributed to our lack of goals the failure of the forwards to really gel so far has also been a big factor.

9 hours ago, dubliner said:

If we sign someone like Brady we'll see what constitutes effort 

Very good point.  Except Robbie Brady was absolutely bobbins against us only a few weeks ago. Both in terms of effort and delivery. 

So maybe not such a great example. 

3 hours ago, KJT123 said:

He's going through a bad patch at the moment, and I think some of the people that are writing him off now are the same ones that didn't like him last season, even though he was one of our stand out players in the PL. When on form, and playing from the left as an inside forward, he's vital to our team. 

Three months ago he was Championship WhoScored.com player of the month and was our best player - his performance against Nottingham Forest was superb, and that day he was playing right wing, showing he can play either side of the striker perfectly well. 

CtieBN2W8AAbKGo.jpg

We need to support him rather than get on his back after a string of questionable performances.

It's all too little imo I'm afraid. Was the same last season. Brilliant in tiny patches. Overall though - simply not good enough.

Complete waste of money.

He shows moments of pure class. He stood out last season because we were so shit. He's had moments of looking like he could destroy this league, but that's all it is. He has never really delivered for us, he's just not good enough, even at championship level. 

Be stupid to sell as he's a strong option off the bench but we need to be replacing him with better come January and I don't think he will be missed during ACON. 

I very disappointing player and it's hard to take to players that consistently dissapoint. 

Ayew is plenty good enough but not in the wide forward role. I'd play him in behind Kodjia as a number 10 and then you will see the best of him.

McKormack isn't a wide forward either and until you give either player a run in their most effective position then you won't get the best out of them. That's why Villa's forward play has been so disjointed.

Edited by striker

I wouldn't be devastated if we sold him, I think if someone was chasing him and offered good money he could go. But to actively look to sell him is madness. He may show ability in fits and starts but that's because he's played in every position possible up front this season under two very different managers. He's still our most gifted footballer at the club, just build the team round him and kodjia and get the most from them and you're onto a winner after ACON

15 hours ago, striker said:

Ayew is plenty good enough but not in the wide forward role. I'd play him in behind Kodjia as a number 10 and then you will see the best of him.

McKormack isn't a wide forward either and until you give either player a run in their most effective position then you won't get the best out of them. That's why Villa's forward play has been so disjointed.

It doesn't matter what position he plays. He makes stupid decisions in all of them. He is a fundamentally flawed player and you can't teach an old dog new tricks. His style is engrained.

• Like 3

Â