Jordan Ayew

HeyAnty

On 13/12/2016 at 22:07, AVTuco said:

I was wrong. I believed in this guy. Shame on me.

Same. Last year when Trent and few others were critical of Ayew i thought they were off theirs rockers. 

It seems they were spot on.

I've never seen a more selfish player in a Villa shirt.

His attitude stinks as well and I'd be glad to see us cut our losses on him.

I can see why we've been linked with players like Brady who at least put an effort in, which is the absolute minimum Bruce would expect. 

• Like 1

On 12/15/2016 at 08:05, dubliner said:

I've never seen a more selfish player in a Villa shirt.

His attitude stinks as well and I'd be glad to see us cut our losses on him.

I can see why we've been linked with players like Brady who at least put an effort in, which is the absolute minimum Bruce would expect. 

Replacing Ayew with Brady would be a massive upgrade. Im sick of watching him trying to take on the whole team and doing nothing. Thinks hes Ronaldo

• Like 2

On 12/14/2016 at 08:31, TrentVilla said:

When was he in form?

At times last season he was the ONLY player we had in any kind of form, particularly around Christmas. Then under Di Matteo. Right up until the Forest game, give or take. 

I know some people hate stats but as it's the only objective evidence I can present, according to whoscored.com he was in the top 5 highest rated players in the division at that point. Then he went out and won us our first away game in 379 years at Reading.

His form since then has been absolute toilet and his display against Norwich is something that will live long in my memory, but I do think some of you need to take a chill pill. We would regret selling him, IMO. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

At times last season he was the ONLY player we had in any kind of form, particularly around Christmas. Then under Di Matteo. Right up until the Forest game, give or take. 

I know some people hate stats but as it's the only objective evidence I can present, according to whoscored.com he was in the top 5 highest rated players in the division at that point. Then he went out and won us our first away game in 379 years at Reading.

His form since then has been absolute toilet and his display against Norwich is something that will live long in my memory, but I do think some of you need to take a chill pill. We would regret selling him, IMO. 

Some good stats there - and I know there is a player in there somewhere. But I still feel if we can do a similar deal as we did with Traore, it'd be worth it for us. I know Hull are in for a striker and wonder whether we might be able to swap for Snodgrass. Just an opinion of course - and Ayew might come back into the team on Monday and this will look quite foolish from me if he hits some form.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DK82 said:

But I still feel if we can do a similar deal as we did with Traore, it'd be worth it for us. I know Hull are in for a striker and wonder whether we might be able to swap for Snodgrass. Just an opinion of course - and Ayew might come back into the team on Monday and this will look quite foolish from me if he hits some form.

I am not so enamored that I would turn my nose up at that, to be fair. 

I also agree that Ayew is capable of coming in to the team on Monday and winning it almost single handily. 

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I am not so enamored that I would turn my nose up at that, to be fair. 

I also agree that Ayew is capable of coming in to the team on Monday and winning it almost single handily. 

That's the only thing which bothers me. I wonder if he might come back from AFCON and hit a run of form to propel us into the play off positions. It would certainly be a gamble to let him go but I am comfortable if he does... I just hope he goes elsewhere and doesn't do much.

If you speak to some Norwich fans they will be saying similar things about Robbie Brady and I imagine he would get a very warm welcome if he was to join. 

The grass isn't always greener. Probably not the best time to be defending Ayew mind so I'll probably leave it there!

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

If you speak to some Norwich fans they will be saying similar things about Robbie Brady and I imagine he would get a very warm welcome if he was to join. 

The grass isn't always greener. Probably not the best time to be defending Ayew mind so I'll probably leave it there!

He's a good player - so you're right to defend him. He tried hard to keep us afloat last year, so probably deserves another chance. There were others who just buried their heads in the sand, Ayew didn't. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DK82 said:

He's a good player - so you're right to defend him. He tried hard to keep us afloat last year, so probably deserves another chance. There were others who just buried their heads in the sand, Ayew didn't. 

I think that's definitely part of it, I've always felt he could be relied upon to put a shift in and we got so used to players not doing that I've always felt more inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt, particularly as he started the season going past players as if they weren't even there. 

I remember a game around last Christmas time, it might even have been against Norwich, where he was so visibly a step above the rest of them in terms of commitment I was shaking with anger. I don't know what has happened to him, but he was almost the complete opposite last Tuesday. Regardless he has built up a lot of good will with me and as a general rule once a player has shown me something I tend to stick by them for a while, even through the worst of performances.

The comparison to N'Zogbia is bonkers mind. I can't believe that has been made.

Ayew does remind me a lot of N'Zogbia in the sense that you feel he has a lot of skill but rarely applies it in a way that wins matches or even influences them positively. 

For me it's a case of "sell, sell, sell!"

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

The comparison to N'Zogbia is bonkers mind. I can't believe that has been made.

Is it? There are very similar in my view.

Similar ability on the ball and utter inability to have any awareness of their team mates or willingness to give them the ball. A lack of end product in their game despite the glimpses of ability. The same questionable body language and attitudes. The same supposed promise of more resulting from the odd good performance that makes people think there is a great player in there with more consistency... there are lots of similarities.

Not so much in the later period of N'Zogbia's time here but certainly the start of it, honestly some of the posts about Ayew in this thread are so similar to those in the N'Zogbia thread. 

I find him increasingly frustrating to watch. I know he has ability but in terms of showing it the longer the season has gone on the worse he has gotten.

Early in the season he was having an impact high up the pitch, beating players and getting in and around the box and getting shots off. Now he has a tendency to come deep and cut inside and try to beat players, then beat them again and either lose possession or slow play down. 

I also think he is almost in between positions. I don't think he is good enough to play centrally but if he is to play as a wide forward it would be nice to see him get to the byline every now and again and put a cross in but this is something he very rarely, if ever, does. 

Like a lot of forwards I think he is a player that thrives on confidence and I don't  think he is at the moment. Even in a game if he starts it poorly then that sets a tone for the rest of the game.

In terms of selling him I would be in no rush to unless we could get someone more consistent like Adomah then I would have no problem with him moving on.

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

In terms of selling him I would be in no rush to unless we could get someone more consistent like Adomah then I would have no problem with him moving on.

Exactly where I am only I just don't see anyone wanting to buy him that could afford the fee we would want and who could take on his wages.

It's kind of funny, I am exceptionally slowly reading the Summer 2016 transfer thread and takeover thread on another site whose name I shall not utter. I just read a page every now and then on the train when I am stuck for anything else. 

Both are mid summer and choc full of people worried about Ayew leaving,  desperate to keep him. Talking about how he will destroy this division,  saying how Xia needs to prove his metal and keep him as promised. 

Now I bet most people wish he had been sold and we had the cash to spend elsewhere.  I certainly do. 

He has been every bit as unhelpful as Gabby when he plays. 

Not sure it's confidence it maybe he plain doesn't want to be here. 

I also wonder if he really was as good last year as people thought or just better than the truly awful dross he was surrounded by. 

I wouldn't have cried if he had gone in the summer,  as I wouldn't have done for one single one of that hideous team.  

If we can get a half decent fee I would get rid and let Steve get in someone he thinks will do a better job. . His wages won't be insignificant either. 

Personally. I have been reluctant to be critical of him because of how often last year he appeared to be the only one trying.  But TBH, he has one move.  From the left side, he pushes the ball to his right, then a good strike with his right foot.  It's a good move.  But any team that doesn't know it and overplay to his right to stop it, is foolish.  Until he can move to his left or lay off to a teammate, he's far too limited. 

4 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Utter inability to have any awareness of their team mates or willingness to give them the ball.

Yep this for me - I actually find it mind boggling that a guy can "make" it as a professional footballer without learning to look up and play the simple ball. It's something you get screamed at you playing at school.

I will say at times I find his close control incredibly impressive, and he has the occasional worldy in him, but it's not enough for what we need.

Â