Jordan Ayew

HeyAnty

8 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Another commanding performance. Best player we've got.

Spot one. I love the guys attitude and work rate as he never gives less than 100%.

Its a shame as if we go down we will have little chance of keeping him as he is looking comfortably good enough to play regularly for a mid table Prem side.

Edited by markavfc40

On 27/12/2015 at 08:59, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

I wonder whether the Swansea fans are complaining that they signed the wrong brother. 

I was just thinking about this. It annoys me that the press were ready to slag off Jordan Ayew but now he's better than Andre, not a peep.

There's a journalist for the times that hates him for some strange reason. Wrote an article earlier in the year slagging him off and after the Newcastle game said in terms of ability to football intelligence Jordan Ayew is the worst player he's ever seen. 

Let's see if he pipes up if Ayew continues what he's started. 

That would be Jonathan Wilson of the Guardian.

The article is here:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/aug/02/andre-ayew-swansea-city-ghana-roy-of-the-rovers

His younger brother, 

Jordan, who has just joined Aston Villa for £12m, is rather different. He plays higher up the pitch than André, and the fact he scored 12 goals and registered five assists for Lorient last season indicates he has talent. But he is a hugely frustrating player.

Filippo Inzaghi might have been born offside, but Jordan Ayew seems to have made it a favourite holiday destination and visits frequently (stats from whoscored.com show he goes 0.7 times a game, but it feels like more). At least with Inzaghi it could be argued that he was offside a lot because he lived always on the edge, forever trying to steal a couple of feet on a defender, pushing the line; with Ayew it often just seems like doziness.

That adds to a general sense that he lacks the game intelligence of his brother. Football is full of counter-factuals, but what if, with Ghana 2-1 up against Germany and playing superbly during the World Cup, Jordan Ayew had squared to leave Asamoah Gyan with a relatively simple finish, rather than vainly – in both senses of the word – attempting a shot? Miroslav Klose wouldn’t have come on to score an equaliser, Germany might not have rediscovered their shape and they might not be world champions.

Jordan Ayew chooses the wrong option a lot, which is one of the reasons his pass completion rate is under 80% despite him attempting only 0.6 long balls and 0.2 crosses per game last season. There was a match at this year’s Cup of Nations when yet another turn down a blind alley led to a great collective groan from the press box, not just from the Ghanaians but from everybody, aggrieved that another piece of coherent play had withered. Ayew was dispossessed 4.0 times per game last season, more often than anybody else in Ligue Un, while losing possession with bad first touches 3.8 times per game, 27 per cent more than anybody else in the league.

“He is a good player and he will do good things and it will be exciting for sure if we get to play against each other,” André said of his brother (Swansea face Villa on 24 October), which is all very proper and fraternal of him.

Realistically, though, there is a gulf between the pair.

Jordan plays as though he is far more than two years younger and unless he matures rapidly there’s a real possibility he’ll become one of those players who aggravate their own fans far more than they excite them.

André, though, could yet be very special indeed: what he did in Franceville against Tunisia spoke of an exceptional talent.

Looks like he matured rapidly then. To be honest I always liked him whenever I saw Lorient play, he didn't annoy me, in fact he was enjoyable to watch. As for "game intelligence", I think he is almost too intelligent for his teammates sometimes.

Â