Renaming Villa Park

mikeyp102

NO.

Call me melodramatic. I don't care. I'll fight anyone to keep the name. If not for me, then for my dad, his dad and his dad before.

In fact I'd quite happily stick two fingers up to sponsorship altogether. Maybe we'd pick up a few million fans worldwide on the ethical vote.

FFS, the name is sacred.

Agree. I would be disappointed if we did change the name.

However, didn't Fox say earlier in the year it wouldn't make sense from a sponsor's point of view? Trying to rename something that is already historically established.

Although he could have been talking about the Holte End, but surely the same would apply to the ground.

In my opinion, one of the most valuable assets Villa has (and one of the reasons I love them), is the strong historical significance the club has and I feel the name of the ground is part of it. It's surely worth more than a potential sponsor fee.

• 9 months later...

@sne, as per the takeover thread, here you go matey.

Still wouldn't be happy about it. I wouldn't have a clue how much Villa would receive for it, but my spidey sense tells me we wouldn't be talking major cash anyway.

So, it's still a no from me.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 1

Didn't see this thread, posted this in takeover thread.....'.For me its a bad time to ask - at this precise moment they could call it 'a great big stinking turd where all the stinking filth people go' as long as we get SOLD NOW' .

I will have a lie down now.

I suppose for me it depends on the deal at the time, my first instinct was to scream 'Noooo!' ... But to fans it would always be VP anyway. Also, for brand new stadiums it's different they're usually always linked to a sponsorship deal. With old traditional football grounds, I can't think of one that's been renamed successfully? They had the debacle with St James' Park, but that changed back, has there been any other PL/Champ sides which have changed the name of their old ground and stuck with it? 

Edit: the only one (although a league 1 side) that has sprung to mind is Bradford, Valley Parade is called Coral Stadium or something now isn't it?

Edited by alreadyexists

The likes of Man Utd have managed to increase their income by having a multitude sponsorship deals and partners. They have things like official Air line, Car Supplier, Tea Bag (may not be true), Training Ground is sponsored by and so on. That is maybe our best bet of raising income without touching the name of the ground. As has been said above, the renaming of historical stadiums has never really worked.

I guess the most we would/should be willing to go to is "Villa Park sponsored by (insert sponsor here)".

On ‎26‎/‎07‎/‎2015 at 22:39, Shropshire Lad said:

However, didn't Fox say earlier in the year it wouldn't make sense from a sponsor's point of view? Trying to rename something that is already historically established.

If he did say that he was right. Youcan't rename an existing stadium that has alot of history. Remember when Newcastle played at the "Sports-Direct Arena at St James' Park"? It doesn't work. The only way stadium sponsorship works is if you build a new stadium and then, because it's new, it's easy for people to refer to it as the Aviva stadium rather than Landsdown Road or whatever example you wish. I think the Millenium Stadium is now the Principality stadium, I never heard anyone refer to it as anything other than the millenium stadium.  

54 minutes ago, terrytini said:

they could call it 'a great big stinking turd where all the stinking filth people go' 

That one's been taken, for St. Andrews.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

No

big no

rename the DE stand to the Witton End

Aston Villa FC play their football at Villa Park in front of the Villa faithful

The DE stand is not an end.

Villa Park wasn't always called VIlla Park.

• Like 1

Â