Mark Bunn

villan_007

13 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Two utterly utterly stupid errors tonight. One cost us a goal and the other him a yellow card, poor judgement on both.

Sure he saved a penalty but not impressed with him but would still take him over Guzan.

Cost us a goal?  Where did you expect him to be...rooted to his goal line?

Fantastic save and almost kept the second shot out.

Penalty save.

Second half when vardy was through he came out and forced vardy wide. I had visions of vardy being brought down, penalty being given and a red card...then i realised it wasn't guzan.

Utterly utterly stupid???....behave

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I'd be interested to see if you think the same when you see it again.

Vardy is running away from goal at an angle with a defender in pursuit and nothing much to aim at in the box, the only option open to him was the lob which Bunn invited.

It was poor and needless positioning from him, I can't see how anyone can disagree with that.

I'm watching MOTD right now so I'll let you know ;)

4 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Vardy is running away from goal at an angle with a defender in pursuit and nothing much to aim at in the box, the only option open to him was the lob which Bunn invited.

It was poor and needless positioning from him, I can't see how anyone can disagree with that.

19 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm watching MOTD right now so I'll let you know ;)

Nope, sorry Trent. I don't agree. When Vardy takes the shot Bunn is on the edge of his 6 yard box, albeit he's back pedalling slightly.

Nothing wrong with that positioning, I'd go as far as to say it's textbook. I'd be angry if he was stucl on his line in that situation.

It was just a very good lob.

Edited by Stevo985

Yep credit to Vardy , Bunn made the right decision for their goal. 90% of the time the lob wouldn't have happened. As for his yellow card , he made a decisive decision, it was wrong in hindsight bit at least he made a decision rather than be indecisive. 

I doubt there's much difference in ability between him and Guzan but Brad's complete lack of confidence is almost giving the oppo a goal head start.  It's right that Bunn has got his chance and should be the man in possession from now on.  I suspect a few errors will creep in though. 

9 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Given his limited player time up to this point, I can forgive him those errors from last night. The key will be whether he learns from them so that the same things don't happen again. 

He will have got some invaluable experience last night. Sure, one led to a goal but we hope his positioning improves the next time he's in that situation. 

A clean sheet the week before, a penalty save and so-far unbeaten in his 3 games must do wonders for his confidence too.

Having seen the goal again, I'm not sure why he was so far off his line, I don't think it was necessary, however for me, Lescott's 'reaction' more than overshadows Bunn's role. 

Although I think Bunn's positioning was poor, he at least made a very good recovery, whilst Lescott was standing still hands on hips. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Having seen the goal again, I'm not sure why he was so far off his line, I don't think it was necessary, however for me, Lescott's 'reaction' more than overshadows Bunn's role. 

Although I think Bunn's positioning was poor, he at least made a very good recovery, whilst Lescott was standing still hands on hips. 

It was poor positioning but a good recovery and a world class save. That would be the narrative if Lescott had kept his end of the bargain.

I've been very happy with Bunn so far. He had nothing to do against Palace, but was heavily involved yesterday and certainly played his part in the result even if he was a little over-eager to come off his line at times. That foul on Vardy was mental and he could have walked for it, but he committed and saw it through at least. Couple of fantastic stops, commanded his area well, saved a penalty. Somebody mentioned the Vardy chance where he shepherded him out wide, that was a good piece of instinctual goalkeeping. He has a touch of the sweeper keepers about him.

Guzan was so bad, I imagine Bunn is going to get a fairly easy ride for a while. I've no hard feelings toward Goose, but I hope never to see him in a Villa shirt again. 

I wonder what he's like at organising the defence?

8 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I wonder what he's like at organising the defence?

Remains to be seen, but it's clear to me that Bunn is a much more confident presence at the back and it's rubbing off (somewhat) across the backline. I think our defenders lost complete confidence in Guzan.

Do people really think that he should be on his goal line when the opposition are taking a goal kick? Every keeper comes out a bit more than normal when the other team have a goal kick incase they have a chance of sweeping up an over hit ball, the defenders are totally at fault for getting done straight from a goal kick.

• Like 1

any keeper, Bunn, Guzan or a new signing should be fighting for the spots. I wouldn't write off Guzan yet, there is a good keeper in there and he has shown that. But I can imagine that the last year or four has chipped away at his confidence, a bit of time to recover and he might find him self as good as he was before and then he should be able to compete for the spot. But so far Bunn has shown no reasons for us to let Guzan play, hopefully he keeps it up and we have a solid player for the rest of the year.

To be honest he hasn't really has much to do the last 2 games but has been fairly competent when called upon.  I think the main problem with Guzan was that for every good save he made he would also let in a goal which was should be bread and butter for a keeper at this level.  The first goal against Norwich and second against Sunderland are two that spring to mind. 

Overall I thought he was decent. Made a good initial save from the goal and one or two others too. But was very rash when he picked up the yellow and in the first half Vardy had a header that went just wide and Bunn was nowhere near it when he should have easily had his post covered.

Â