Idrissa Gana Gueye

BowenAVFC

I'd prefer to take a chance on a guy like this than spend the same on a Tom Cleverly or Tom Huddlestone. Hopefully he turns to be more Christian Benteke than Mathieu Berson.

• Like 2

Midfield of....

-------Sanchez-----Gueye------

---------------Delph------------

Gil------------------------Grealish

Looks pretty well balanced.

Can't see Gil being a regular.

Replace Gil with perhaps Sinclair.

I think the midfield three of Sanchez/Gueye/Deplh though not overly exciting would really toughen us up & make us harder to beat.

Let Delph play more box to box with two inside forwards/whatever you want to call it & the main striker up top.

I'd prefer to take a chance on a guy like this than spend the same on a Tom Cleverly or Tom Huddlestone. Hopefully he turns to be more Christian Benteke than Mathieu Berson.

Berson was actually decent if I remember rightly. Long time ago though

Midfield of....

Me neither, it's more what I'd pick, but as mentioned Sinclair can slot in there.

• Like 1

-------------Sanchez-------------

-------Gueye--------Delph------

Sinclair-----------------Grealish

-------------Benteke--------------

Or Westy instead of Sanchez / Gabby instead of Sinclair.

Edited by Dante_Lockhart

Midfield of....

i can , just not for us
  • Like 1

For those that want to know a bit more about the player 

Tim Sherwood has set his sights on the Lille man but what type of a Gueye will Aston Villa be getting if Idrissa completes his move to the Midlands? 

Idrissa Gueye is a dynamic, energetic, technically-gifted and now forward-thinking midfielder. And with that, almost all of the boxes are ticked.

At £9million you’d expect just as much, especially as he could become Villa’s most expensive signing for four years if negotiations go as planned. 

It’s clear that Sherwood wants some more steel in his side this term which is why the 25-year-old, who has his middle name Gana on the back of his shirt, has been targeted.

Primarily his job is to protect the backline by breaking up play, tracking runners and providing a reassuring presence in his role as the enforcer.

However, in recent times he has been happy to take on more attacking duties and play slightly more advanced which is why so many clubs have been alerted to his talent.

Manchester United (the club he supported as a boy) and Arsenal have shown an interest while, Southampton, West Ham and Crystal Palace, like Villa, have all submitted bids.

It’s thought that Villa have lined up Gueye to bolster the ranks rather than fill in for those who could depart.

That alone is exciting, even if Tom Cleverley’s energy and enthusiasm will be missed, and talk of Fabian Delph’s future rumbles on.

It’s not worth thinking about a claret and blue midfield without Delph, but should Gueye arrive and the England ace remain at the club, a decent on-field bond could form.

The Senegal international has largely played in a three-man midfield during his time in Ligue One and has shown steady progression each term.

He was signed by Lille in 2003, aged 13, from a football academy in his homeland named Diambars de Saly.

A number of players in the French league have taken a similar route from that particular youth scheme which was set up by Patrick Vieira and some of his former team-mates.

In the 2010/11 season he made his breakthrough in the title-winning side that included the likes of Eden Hazard and Yohan Cabaye.

As key players departed, Gueye’s role became more important and with that he grew in confidence.

Although relatively slim and of a slight frame he is strong and quick. Think of Ramires at Chelsea.

He is said to be comfortable on the ball, always in space because of his excellent movement, and very aware of his surroundings.

Last season he took his game to a new level by scoring four goals in 40 appearances leading to plenty of praise from those watching his progress.

Former France international and Senegal coach Alain Giresse is a big fan.

A member of the fine French team of the eighties, Giresse describes Gueye as being ‘as good as Jean Tigana’ - a fellow member of the “Carré Magique” midfield of the 1984 European Championship winning French team.

Now the coach of Mali, he said: “Gueye has stature, he has a good sense of anticipation and responds quickly. He is precise in his use of the ball and has started to add goals to his game too.

“In the dressing room, he is quiet and discreet, he has a good state of mind, he is a competitor.”

Gueye also competed in the African Cup of Nations in January.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa---who-idrissa-9572189

• Like 1

The Berson person was very decent. Best passer we had at the time by a mile. I remember him getting MOTM against Arsenal IIRC. Didn't suit us at all though in general. Definitely a waste of an opportunity.  I put him alongside the man with the jumper as examples of good players who didn't fit in.  We can only hope if Gueye arrives that he's more Benteke than Berson/Makoun/Djemba.

We talking Mathieu Berson here?!

There is no two ways about it he was not good enough. DOL gave up on him after half a season, think home sickness was the excuse.

He never did anything in his career to suggest that getting rid of him was mistake. Probably just proved signing him was one.

Why do some assume that this money comes from benteke/delph sale?

You do realise we just had a massive exodus? And I bet this guy will be on 30ish k a week, where as I believe that cleverley must had been on 50ish. Plus weimanns wages, plus bents wages, plus sylla, plus vlaar... It all adds up, so please, if we buy him, and then 2x £ 4 million players followed by a 5 million left back do not assume that we have sold Villa Park.

Because we haven't spent this much on one player since.. nzogbia? Lamberts highest was 7 million on tekkers... so naturally people will speculate. I hope its our new rich owners spending before they are announced so they dont get held to ransom. However its more likely its the Benteke money.

Or crazy as it might sound - Lerner is giving the go-ahead to spend - far fetched to some. Could be we know that when we get through this season (and stay in the PL)  we get a windfall in the TV money - spend some of it now maybe! Just my own version of the speculation.

• Like 1

The Berson person was very decent. Best passer we had at the time by a mile. I remember him getting MOTM against Arsenal IIRC. Didn't suit us at all though in general. Definitely a waste of an opportunity.  I put him alongside the man with the jumper as examples of good players who didn't fit in.  We can only hope if Gueye arrives that he's more Benteke than Berson/Makoun/Djemba.

There is no two ways about it he was not good enough. DOL gave up on him after half a season, think home sickness was the excuse.

He never did anything in his career to suggest that getting rid of him was mistake. Probably just proved signing him was one.

what was also frustrating was the Berson and Makoun transfers took months and then were an utter waste of time

• Like 1

Why do some assume that this money comes from benteke/delph sale?

You do realise we just had a massive exodus? And I bet this guy will be on 30ish k a week, where as I believe that cleverley must had been on 50ish. Plus weimanns wages, plus bents wages, plus sylla, plus vlaar... It all adds up, so please, if we buy him, and then 2x £ 4 million players followed by a 5 million left back do not assume that we have sold Villa Park.

Because we haven't spent this much on one player since.. nzogbia? Lamberts highest was 7 million on tekkers... so naturally people will speculate. I hope its our new rich owners spending before they are announced so they dont get held to ransom. However its more likely its the Benteke money.

Or crazy as it might sound - Lerner is giving the go-ahead to spend - far fetched to some. Could be we know that when we get through this season (and stay in the PL)  we get a windfall in the TV money - spend some of it now maybe! Just my own version of the speculation.

True, a signing like this was within our budget of the last few years anyway. I hope he's good.

• Like 1

There was quality there IMHO. Berson and Djemba-Djemba had an impressive partnership for Nantes - I think they may have won the title. Seem to remember him having a stand out game against Chelsea one Boxing Day. He probably just didn't fancy it and wasn't motivated.

I think you can probably add Gil to that Berson/Makoun/Djemba type situation under Sherwood.

As promising as Cleverley was (the Sherwood version), a million times this. The more money is in the prem the more distorted the value of prem based players becomes. There is just no value for us in the prem, unless it's a sneaky free or similar.

I think you can probably add Gil to that Berson/Makoun/Djemba type situation under Sherwood.

I hope not, I woudl think he had issue with his fitness/strength and a pre-season with the rest of them under the new regime shoudl hopefully sort that out.

• Like 1

CI5xjesWsAAgEkH.jpg

No crazy jumper or Viking beard, Gueye OUT

PIC from twitter account above.

This seems to be going rather quickly: 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33362759

Idrissa Gueye: Aston Villa to sign Lille midfielder for £9m

Aston Villa are set to sign Lille midfielder Idrissa Gueye in a deal worth up to £9m.

The Senegal international, 25, arrived in Birmingham on Thursday for talks with the Premier League club.

He would become manager Tim Sherwood's third signing of the summer, following defender Micah Richards and forward Scott Sinclair.

Gueye has made 134 appearances in Ligue 1 with Lille and has been capped 18 times for his country.

I do like when they say things like "worth up to £9m", which means it won't cost £9m if he's shit and we won't care if it does cuz then it means he was good :thumb:

• Like 1

Â