Idrissa Gana Gueye

BowenAVFC

I've watched a few clips of Gueye playing since this news broke and he looks decent, there's a video on youtube of him against Everton where a lot of the play went through him and he rarely gave the ball away. He also didn't seem afraid to push forward when he could and also seemed to like a shot when it was on. The prem might be a bit fast for him at first but hopefully he will settle in fast. I'm quite surprised like a lot of you that we have found 9 million to buy a play like this.

Saw some lovely one touch football by Lille, with Gueye finishing off both moves. He looks very tidy, likes to get the ball moving quickly, he's touted as a DM but can def see him breaking forward at times.

Personally I'd like to see him & Sanchez protecting that back four, then three (including Delph) behind a striker. Would make us a much better unit.

Edited by mightysasquatch

I'd never heard of him before today.

Same here, but that's not a bad thing...I'm pretty villa/premier blinkered to be honest.

I tend to only get excited by players I've not heard of these days.

Players I've heard of that come to us are usually past it or not good enough. The only chance of signing a gem is signing someone nobody knows about yet, like Benteke.

• Like 1

When Everton had Magaye Gueye I always heard it pronounced Gay, or Gway.

I'm taking a leaf out of Vicar Geraldine Granger's book.

Gggrrrrrrrrr will do for me.

I'd never heard of him before today.

Same here, but that's not a bad thing...I'm pretty villa/premier blinkered to be honest.

I tend to only get excited by players I've not heard of these days.

Players I've heard of that come to us are usually past it or not good enough. The only chance of signing a gem is signing someone nobody knows about yet, like Benteke.

Yep, I can totally get that and feel the same.

All the brilliant players that I will have heard of, are not coming to us in a million years.  The ones I have heard of who would come to us, are most likely to be crap.

The unknown, is indeed, the exciting bit :)

And don't get me wrong, players I've heard of can still be good signings.

Micah Richards is a good signing from Tim. I'm happy with that.

But am I excited by it? Nah.

"The Sun" says Aston Villa are set to make a £6.5m move for Senegal midfielder Idrissa Gueye, which could prompt the departure of Fabian Delph, also 25, from the West Midlands club. Trust them to add a negative to the news. 

Different positions, too, from what information we have on him.

And don't get me wrong, players I've heard of can still be good signings.

Micah Richards is a good signing from Tim. I'm happy with that.

But am I excited by it? Nah.

There are a few like that, players that had once had us all liking our lips...but for one reason or another have fallen down the pecking order and we can sometimes pick them up and revive them.  A bit like Cleverly, if we could have kept hold of him...was showing promise of what he was originally bigged up to be.  I always thought we could have got Milner back from city, I think he's better than how he's sometimes played / treated.

And yeah, all that could be good buys and do a job...but nothing super exciting.  These people from abroad that we don't get to know / see, there are lots of them who're doing a brilliant job abroad because there are many other "premier leagues" around the world that we don't know much about.  I know it's a sore subject, but Gil coming in...showed a bit of exciting flare and has divided so much opinion and leaves everyone thinking what might have been (had he had more games).

Gueye could bring some exciting flare, who knows...but that's the exciting bit right.

Gueye sounds like he's a good solid buy, as did Richards - they're not the players that get your heart racing necessarily, or the ones that cause a sudden jump in season ticket sales, but they might be the ones that help get you out of the relegation race by the end of January, which would be a refreshing change. More of this type of thing please.

I think Idrissa Gueye is actually pretty well known. If you play Football Manager........

I've seen him play a couple of times and he seems like a very mobile player, probably better suited to a defensive midfield role but one that requires the player to get around the pitch a bit more than usual.

• Like 1

And then you get all the knobjockey Villa fans on twitter slagging off fellow fans for having the audacity of being excited at the prospect of signing someone for £9m just because no-one had heard of him.  If Villa fans can't be excited about that these days then they've got very little else to be fanatical about.  Plus where do these people get off trying to stop other fans from enjoying themselves.  Dickheads.

and they forget about an unheard of Belgium we signed for 8m

I see his name and think Gruyere

Midfield of....

-------Sanchez-----Gueye------

---------------Delph------------

Gil------------------------Grealish

Looks pretty well balanced.

Can't see Gil being a regular.

Â