Micah Richards

Demitri_C

There’s a video on facebook of Micah, Shearer and Lineker talking. Micah was saying how Stuart Pearce initially mugged him off (his words) when he was 17. He was on £5k a week and Pearce offered to double it to £10k a week, Micah wasn’t happy because he’d just got into the England team. After some negotiation he got a deal at £50k per week and was joking how Pearce tried to do him out of £40k a week.

Later on he said City offered him a £100k per week 5 and a half year deal… and he turned it down as he was number 2 behind Zabaleta (cue much shock and laughter).

He said he then ended up at Villa on much less than the £100k, which then got halved after being relegated in the first season to £25k per week.

Edit: here’s the link, I’m not 100% if it will work

https://www.facebook.com/reel/1685506775220753?fs=e&s=TIeQ9V

Edited by Genie

he wasn't playing football long before he actually left city

his 3 years before joining us was 7 league games, followed by 2, followed by 10 at fiorentina

but i wouldn't be surprised if city did offer 100K a week to someone they had no intention of playing, scott sinclair was on around 60k a week and wasn't even registered to the squad, delph wasnt a lot better and now they're doing it with phillips, its the real problem of man city that no one really talks about

34 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

he wasn't playing football long before he actually left city

his 3 years before joining us was 7 league games, followed by 2, followed by 10 at fiorentina

but i wouldn't be surprised if city did offer 100K a week to someone they had no intention of playing, scott sinclair was on around 60k a week and wasn't even registered to the squad, delph wasnt a lot better and now they're doing it with phillips, its the real problem of man city that no one really talks about

That's because Scott Sinclair pays everyone to keep their mouths shut. 

But you are right - it isnt the real problem but one of the many problems that shows just how much they have cheated there way to all this success. 

People call Haaland a cheat code but truth is they've had it for years and as ever its always the money that hides the real cheating. 

21 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

When Villa were promoted they released a thank you and best wishes video to the players who were being let go. Hutton, Adomah, Bunn, Whelan, etc.

Richards was included in that. Now that doesn’t mean to say they weren’t pleased to get his wages off the bill, but it does suggest to me that the club had no strong ill feeling towards him. 

For instance they obviously didn’t include McCormack in that video, no love lost there. They also didn’t include Bjarnason* who I think most would agree did more in a Villa shirt for us than Richards. So I don’t know, rightly or wrongly I don’t hold any grudges against him like I have done with other players.

*It is possible in that instance, they weren’t sure if they wanted to keep Thor around, so a decision hadn’t been made in time for the video’s release.

Very fitting that he plays for Viking fc now 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Genie said:

There’s a video on facebook of Micah, Shearer and Lineker talking. Micah was saying how Stuart Pearce initially mugged him off (his words) when he was 17. He was on £5k a week and Pearce offered to double it to £10k a week, Micah wasn’t happy because he’d just got into the England team. After some negotiation he got a deal at £50k per week and was joking how Pearce tried to do him out of £40k a week.

Later on he said City offered him a £100k per week 5 and a half year deal… and he turned it down as he was number 2 behind Zabaleta (cue much shock and laughter).

He said he then ended up at Villa on much less than the £100k, which then got halved after being relegated in the first season to £25k per week.

Edit: here’s the link, I’m not 100% if it will work

https://www.facebook.com/reel/1685506775220753?fs=e&s=TIeQ9V

Been posted earlier in this thread 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

It’s crazy to think that a decent but not special young footballer could turn down a £27.5m contract at one of the best clubs in the country. 

In fairness he turned it down because he wanted to play and not be second choice. 

it’s mental that he did it but it actually sounded like he did it for the right reasons

29 minutes ago, will87 said:

There's no way Micah **** Richards was getting offered £100k a week almost ten years ago, complete nonsense.

Didn't Tevez have his pay slip leaked back in the day and he was on about 300k+ a week? City spent a fortune and Richards filled the English/Home Grown criteria so I don't think its that ridiculous.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

In fairness he turned it down because he wanted to play and not be second choice. 

it’s mental that he did it but it actually sounded like he did it for the right reasons

Turned out to be a lose-lose situation in the end.   I can certainly see why in hindsight he considers it a mistake to sign for Villa, but he's also got to admit it was a terrible decision for Villa to sign him.

24 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I guess he felt he could probably do better elsewhere, maybe thought he was the next Maldini and would get first team football as much/more money.

From the video it looks like he regrets that decision.

47 minutes ago, Genie said:

I guess he felt he could probably do better elsewhere, maybe thought he was the next Maldini and would get first team football as much/more money.

From the video it looks like he regrets that decision.

Yeah I'm sure long term he thought he'd be better off. But for all the times we criticise players for being happy to collect a pay cheque and sit on the bench then, if we take what he says at face value, it's kind of refreshing to know someone wanted to turn down that sort of money to actually play football.

But yeah, bet he regrets it now

• Like 3

13 hours ago, will87 said:

There's no way Micah **** Richards was getting offered £100k a week almost ten years ago, complete nonsense.

I'd definitely believe it. He was being touted as one of the best young defenders in the country and got into the England squads. City easily would have offered him that on a 5 year deal, the crazy thing is that he turned it down. Fair play to him.

Edited by villa89

Just now, villa89 said:

I'd definitely believe. He was being touted as one of the best young defenders in the country and got into the England squads. City easily would have offered him that on a 5 year deal, the crazy thing is that he turned it down. Fair play to him.

He was 27 when he joined us and his last England cap was when he was 23

Was also rumours at time he turned down more money at Sunderland to sign for us. I dont believe him for a second

On 12/04/2023 at 08:24, Demitri_C said:

He annoys me. When he is laughing like a fool gets on my nerves

I think he's a decent bloke with the ability to laugh at himself - but he does get tiresome.

• Like 2

Â