Micah Richards

Demitri_C

Adebayor went to Palace later that season and hardly scored a goal so he wouldn't have been a certainty to do well at all. Sherwood did get some good form out of him at Spurs after he was out of the team for a while though and yes much preferable to Gestede starting many games.

14 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Adebayor went to Palace later that season and hardly scored a goal so he wouldn't have been a certainty to do well at all. Sherwood did get some good form out of him at Spurs after he was out of the team for a while though and yes much preferable to Gestede starting many games.

I actually dont know who the Palace manager was then, was it Pardew. I think Sherwood had a way with wayward strikers

He did find Harry Kane somewhere 😂😂😂 i love that Sherwood found Kane in the media instead of Redknapp 😂

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I actually dont know who the Palace manager was then, was it Pardew. I think Sherwood had a way with wayward strikers

He did find Harry Kane somewhere 😂😂😂 i love that Sherwood found Kane in the media instead of Redknapp 😂

How could you forget the 2016 cup final?!

crystal palace dancing GIF

Adebayor briefly in shot aswell bottom left!

Edited by VillaChris
  • Haha 1

• 2 years later...

On BBC Morning News today, spoke a bit about what it was like getting his first big wage packet as a teenager, and then his time at Villa when Garde took over with a new fitness coach, and he found himself not being able to play, and trying to support the players that were - but finding himself playing up to this 'role', which was a façade, feeling deeply unhappy at the time. 

He's got an autobiography out - 'The Game'.

1 hour ago, hogso said:

On BBC Morning News today, spoke a bit about what it was like getting his first big wage packet as a teenager, and then his time at Villa when Garde took over with a new fitness coach, and he found himself not being able to play, and trying to support the players that were - but finding himself playing up to this 'role', which was a façade, feeling deeply unhappy at the time. 

He's got an autobiography out - 'The Game'.

I'll leave it thanks.

He was unhappy but didn't retire until after Villa released him? He'll have had time to get something appropriately sympathetic in order.

Total waste of space as a modern player. Got by physically until football started to get very tactical and couldn't cope.

He is a nice enough person, but offers nothing in the way of insight on TV.

• 2 months later...
On 20/10/2022 at 10:22, Tomaszk said:

I'll leave it thanks.

He was unhappy but didn't retire until after Villa released him? He'll have had time to get something appropriately sympathetic in order.

Total waste of space as a modern player. Got by physically until football started to get very tactical and couldn't cope.

He is a nice enough person, but offers nothing in the way of insight on TV.

I'm not entirely sure what happened but I read/heard something that Villa were getting paid out insurance fees due to his injury, if we cut all ties with him we somehow would have lost out. It's the only reason we would have kept a player who was basically never going to play again, otherwise it makes sense to pay him off.

He's only 34 years old now, his knee was crocked, every footballer would milk out whatever contracts they could get.

• Like 1

Said this before my memory of him will be villa playing a pre season friendly at kiddy harriers, me and my cousin stood next to 2 Bristol City scouts, my cousin with a wandering eye looking over their WhatsApp messages as the phone was out in the open and their scouts in what I'd guess was a closed Bristol group, not a clue who they were actually watching, absolutely ribbing him for overweight, like proper killing him

The only slight benefit of the doubt I'd give him is that we did the same with gabby, whoever our "fitness" coach was or whatever our setup was we just put the players we didn't want in the gym and let them go

16 hours ago, AndyM3000 said:

I'm not entirely sure what happened but I read/heard something that Villa were getting paid out insurance fees due to his injury, if we cut all ties with him we somehow would have lost out. It's the only reason we would have kept a player who was basically never going to play again, otherwise it makes sense to pay him off.

He's only 34 years old now, his knee was crocked, every footballer would milk out whatever contracts they could get.

That's often cited as the reason he was kept around and I have no inside knowledge or even knowledge of insurance but the idea an insurance company would pay out wages for a player not to retire seems ludicrous.

6 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

That's often cited as the reason he was kept around and I have no inside knowledge or even knowledge of insurance but the idea an insurance company would pay out wages for a player not to retire seems ludicrous.

Is it that ludicrous? How many players are insured by the club over last 10/20 years and how many have to retire

6 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

It wouldn't surprise me that if Villa/Richards agreed some sort of compensation deal to end the contract it would void the insurance and they wouldn't cover it. Villa were happy for him to see out the deal as it wasn't costing them anything, seems plausible to me. 

• 3 months later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/65189181

Interesting clip on BBC news from Micah Richards. Apparently he was on £50k a week at Man City, and was offered a five and a half deal at £100k a week to stay so they could keep their English player numbers up. But he was no. 2 behind Zabaletta so decided to leave to play football, and joined us for less than the £50k he was on previously. Then we immediately got relegated and he was stuck playing in the championship on £25k a week.

Cost him £27m! No wonder he couldn't be arsed 😀

(although if he had been arsed then maybe we wouldn't have got relegated)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/65189181

Interesting clip on BBC news from Micah Richards. Apparently he was on £50k a week at Man City, and was offered a five and a half deal at £100k a week to stay so they could keep their English player numbers up. But he was no. 2 behind Zabaletta so decided to leave to play football, and joined us for less than the £50k he was on previously. Then we immediately got relegated and he was stuck playing in the championship on £25k a week.

Cost him £27m! No wonder he couldn't be arsed 😀

(although if he had been arsed then maybe we wouldn't have got relegated)

I am calling bullshit on that if honest. He is spinning crap or else has the worst agent in history

31 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Even on the English quota ting the 5 year 100k deal just doesn't ring true. He could barely walk at Villa and he was being phased out at City for a year or two prior.

Just absolute nonsense.

He was an on loan reserve at Fiorentina. Saw him in a Europa League game 3 months before he signed and he couldn't move

Embarrassing any team would sign that donkey

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

I am calling bullshit on that if honest. He is spinning crap or else has the worst agent in history

I’m inclined to think this to. I mean he moved for the “love of the game” only to play one season and then sit on his ass not playing for less money? Doesn’t add up.

When Villa were promoted they released a thank you and best wishes video to the players who were being let go. Hutton, Adomah, Bunn, Whelan, etc.

Richards was included in that. Now that doesn’t mean to say they weren’t pleased to get his wages off the bill, but it does suggest to me that the club had no strong ill feeling towards him. 

For instance they obviously didn’t include McCormack in that video, no love lost there. They also didn’t include Bjarnason* who I think most would agree did more in a Villa shirt for us than Richards. So I don’t know, rightly or wrongly I don’t hold any grudges against him like I have done with other players.

*It is possible in that instance, they weren’t sure if they wanted to keep Thor around, so a decision hadn’t been made in time for the video’s release.

Â