Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Matt Law of The Telegraph saying that West Ham are the only club interested in Adebayor, and if they want him Tottenham will have to pay up the remainder of his contract.

Only other club.

I didn't register the 'other' for some reason. Still it does say that he's already turned us down. I get the feeling he'll end up at West Ham.

We've utterly failed to replace Benteke, and that really should have been a high priority. We really need to pull something out the bag on this otherwise we're going to struggle again. We need someone to come straight into the first team, perform and match his goals.

Read that back to yourself. Then remember we're Aston Villa and owned by Randy Lerner. Then the penny will drop that he was never going to be replaced.

Can't say the money wasn't there. What we spent on Gestede and Ayew for instance, could have been used to get a decent replacement for Benteke.

Yep. Tim has made some excellent moves in the market this summer.

However the 15m he spent on Ayew and Gestede looks like a big error. It's early days but I would

Bet neither player will have a huge influence on our fortunes this season whereas a goalscorer with that new look midfield behind

Him could have steered us away from relegation to mid table. His sole focus after Benteke left should have been leaving a significant chunk for a striker.

Yeah. Should have brought in Austin and Wilson on loan for that money

I think I am going to lock myself in a dark room without any access to the internet or phone or any other communications device until 1800. And only come out once the window has "slammed shut" 

They never just close it quietly do they? What if someone's fingers got trapped? Won't they think of the children?

We've utterly failed to replace Benteke, and that really should have been a high priority. We really need to pull something out the bag on this otherwise we're going to struggle again. We need someone to come straight into the first team, perform and match his goals.

Read that back to yourself. Then remember we're Aston Villa and owned by Randy Lerner. Then the penny will drop that he was never going to be replaced.

Can't say the money wasn't there. What we spent on Gestede and Ayew for instance, could have been used to get a decent replacement for Benteke.

Yep. Tim has made some excellent moves in the market this summer.

However the 15m he spent on Ayew and Gestede looks like a big error. It's early days but I would

Bet neither player will have a huge influence on our fortunes this season whereas a goalscorer with that new look midfield behind

Him could have steered us away from relegation to mid table. His sole focus after Benteke left should have been leaving a significant chunk for a striker.

Ayew may take a long time to bed in and have an impact admittedly, Gestede i'm confident will get us goals once Grealish and Traore are playing.

Neither are Benteke replacements though.

Why are people saying we've failed to replace Benteke when we have bought 2 strikers who've hardly had a chance to show what they're capable of? Have we replaced Delph? Or are people happy with the midfield signings so don't bring it up? If we tried to replace the Benteke that we sold with a like for like replacement we may not have been able to buy some of the other 10 or so we have. Don't get me wrong I'd prefer another striker in but saying we haven't replaced Benteke is as stupid as saying we signed the wrong Ayew. I remember some people on here writing Benteke off after a handful of games as well.

• Like 2

The worst thing about the transfer window for me is this feeling that seems to have spread around that if a club hasn't signed someone on deadline day they've failed. Surely it-s the opposite - get the work done and finished early.

It'd be great if we can bring a striker in, but there's no point in just bringing in someone who isn't as good as gabby or anyone we've got. I'd rather they gave a chance to one of the younger players than waste money on a has-been or someone who won't bring us anything.

We've signed a number of players - some look better than others at this stage - but we'll never have a summer like this again. Lets now try to enjoy the players they've brought in....

Isn't as good as Gabby?

I think Gayle is a decent player he can certainly finish the issue is some championship clubs have offered stupid money for him so now Palace want that , but he won't drop down a league.

I think still could be legs in it ideally I think they want to offload him and Murray to bring in Austin

I think I am going to lock myself in a dark room without any access to the internet or phone or any other communications device until 1800. And only come out once the window has "slammed shut" 

This seems like the sensible option. I told myself I'd not bother looking until 18:00, but the fact I'm reading this tread now, shows you how well that's going!