Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

What if these mythical £16m strikers that we might have wanted didn't want to come here? What should we have done, spent that money on somebody we didn't want?

It's like a match thread in here today. Let it play out.

No, the 16M refers to actual strikers that we bought (Ayew and Gestede). I would hope that they wanted to come here! FWIW I agree with Stevo, just wanted to point that out though.

What if these mythical £16m strikers that we might have wanted didn't want to come here? What should we have done, spent that money on somebody we didn't want?

It's like a match thread in here today. Let it play out.

No, the 16M refers to actual strikers that we bought (Ayew and Gestede). I would hope that they wanted to come here! FWIW I agree with Stevo, just wanted to point that out though.

I know I got you. Now people want another Striker, only this time he must cost £16m because the two we did sign have already been deemed shit. Partly because they didn't cost enough money.

• Like 1

People have short memories, I remember everyone being positive when we were signing players earlier on this window. Now that we're not signing a world class forward on deadline day everyone seems depressed again.

I think the 5 games we've played, bit of early judgement and glaringly obvious gaps in our team does that

i totally agree. We don't know how much money Sherwood was promised.

The problem is, whether one looks at net, gross or total spend, the fact is that a relegation contender from last year has spent very little.

Sherwood has done a cracking job in trying to reinvest the cash that has come in. Ayew and Gestede have not made an incredible impact immediately but there is time before we can pass judgement properly.

I would have loved to see what he could've done with more but I guess this is the usual problem.

Maybe Sherwood signed up to these terms. Maybe that's why he took on the exciting young prospects - as investments.

What gets me most is all the talk that the Chairman is reinvested emotionally in the club. The evidence suggests that he is not willing to show his financial commitment. Entirely his prerogative, of course, but I clearly have a different definition of commitment.

I don't want the window to end in this manner - the transfers thus far have reinvigorated the energy surrounding the club. In fact, the forum has been buzzing if that's any indicator.

Anyway, rant over. Jim White...over to you.

• Like 1

People have short memories, I remember everyone being positive when we were signing players earlier on this window. Now that we're not signing a world class forward on deadline day everyone seems depressed again.

how long do we have to wait for gestede gabby kozak n ayew to start scoring?yes our squad is alot better and strong but should we be happy relying on sinclair to score us goals whilst the strikers try to settle and take finishing lessons?

im happy with the window thus far but not buying a strikers thats played and scored iin the prem would be silly

Edited by Villan81

Sky sources understand Aston Villa have failed in a bid to takeCrystal Palace striker Dwight Gayle to Villa Park,

We understand Villa have made a bid for the striker this morning but it has been dismissed out of hand.

Our source has described the offer as a 'stupid bid'.

Sounds like we are scrambling around for a striker.

Smoke and mirrors

Id say its a stupid bid alright.

Thanks god it got rejected.what the hell is sherwood playing at bidding for a poor player like that?

Yeah but net spend tho

I think we've had a very good window, I think we will be much better than we have in years. But I think it's fair to ask questions when the majority of clubs spend more money than we do.

I agree, but I also think anything more than 2 more signings will be overkill for this window. Then again we can sign two 15M players hypothetically. Honestly, it's a huge improvement on Lerner's part to allow us to spend all of the money recouped from outgoing transfers, with a little bit on top. Remember when we sold Young and Downing for 40M and replaced them with 10M N'Zogbia? Yeah.

• Like 1

I have a feeling this net spend issue is going to rumble on.

Big money came in for two players. Two players who formed an integral part of the team last year, the money that was spent beyond that brought in,m,whatever the clauses and wages on top, has been pitiful.

There's no change in the chairman's approach. Fair play to Sherwood for deploying the money so well and improving a great many areas of the team but there has been no investment. Imagine if we would've kept Benteke and Delph. We might've been lucky to just get Adama and Richards.

I'm not in the business of getting on the chairman's back, i don't see the point. It needs pointing out, though.

• Like 1

I agree with some of the comments above....If its not a proven striker...don't bother.

We have new work in progress strikers already.....Gestede & Ayew.....They may turn out ok?......Thats the risk we take.

I think Sinclair looks like he could ....could...... be the surprise card for that role.

Sky sources understand Aston Villa have failed in a bid to takeCrystal Palace striker Dwight Gayle to Villa Park,

We understand Villa have made a bid for the striker this morning but it has been dismissed out of hand.

Our source has described the offer as a 'stupid bid'.

Sounds like we are scrambling around for a striker.

Smoke and mirrors
Id say its a stupid bid alright.

Thanks god it got rejected.what the hell is sherwood playing at bidding for a poor player like that?

He is a better footballer than Gabby and Gestede.

Good old fashioned finisher. Would take him, just not at the price Palace want.

i totally agree. We don't know how much money Sherwood was promised.

The problem is, whether one looks at net, gross or total spend, the fact is that a relegation contender from last year has spent very little.

£55m would put us 5th in the league.

If I go to a bar, buy a pint using a £50 note and get £46.50 change, it doesn't mean I've spent £50.